Great laptop has very low performance, has to do with power

BOBOUDA

Here's the issue: whether the laptop has a battery in (that doesn't charge, stuck at 0) or is just with the plug, it has very very low performance, it's just super slow. In task manager, it shows that the CPU (an i7) and HDD aren't doing much, always in a low %. Before it was a very fast laptop, it probably cost over a thousand euro, and it's about 2 years old.
For quite a while, the battery only charged at some moments, like one time out of two. Then it didn't charge at all, and now it's stuck at 0 and can't be charged at all (the perso who used it wasn't very careful, I wish he hadn't let the battery go all the way down). The performance problem started to happen when the battery was low, but now it also happens when the PC is plugged with no battery.
Another thing is that the plug isn't original.

I know the issue has to do with power, it happens on both windows and Linux, and the componants are very good. I've tried updating the BIOS to different versions, didn't change a thing. I also checked the temperature, pretty low, in the 40's, 50's degrees.

So what could be the problem ? Would it work again with a new battery? A new plug? Does the fact that the battery fucked up over time somehow endamaged a component in the PC, and that can't really be fixed?

5 minutes ago, BOBOUDA said:

Here's the issue: whether the laptop has a battery in (that doesn't charge, stuck at 0) or is just with the plug, it has very very low performance, it's just super slow. In task manager, it shows that the CPU (an i7) and HDD aren't doing much, always in a low %. Before it was a very fast laptop, it probably cost over a thousand euro, and it's about 2 years old.
For quite a while, the battery only charged at some moments, like one time out of two. Then it didn't charge at all, and now it's stuck at 0 and can't be charged at all (the perso who used it wasn't very careful, I wish he hadn't let the battery go all the way down). The performance problem started to happen when the battery was low, but now it also happens when the PC is plugged with no battery.
Another thing is that the plug isn't original.

I know the issue has to do with power, it happens on both windows and Linux, and the componants are very good. I've tried updating the BIOS to different versions, didn't change a thing.

So what could be the problem ? Would it work again with a new battery? A new plug? Does the fact that the battery fucked up over time somehow endamaged a component in the PC, and that can't really be fixed?

test disk and ram, have you reinstalled lately?

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

I guess I should, and will do that. But I'm almost certain the issue has to do with power, the issue started when the battery started failing, and is now generalized even when there is no battery.

Yeah, 2 years is definitely enough to kill a battery, Most Li-ion batteries have a common life cycle of 400 - 600 cycles (Full charge/discharge) and then they start to lose capacity. Most modern chargers aren't designed to handle the full power load of a laptop without a battery (Unless it has desktop grade components).

I would recommend;

New Battery - Full capacity and the ability to supply the laptop with the current it requires. Windows and Linux support generating a report on current battery capacity vs design spec(Search "How to check laptop battery health/capacity"). 

New Charger - Non-original chargers are common for falling short on the amperes which can affect performance (CPU/GPU Utilisation and Charging speed.).

Other things to try would be checking your power plan options and cooling. Dust build up can result in thermal throttling and reduced performance.

Best of luck fixing your problem any questions just ask.

PC Editing / Gaming Rig Specs : i7-3930k @ 4ghz w/ Hyper 212 Evo | 840 Evo 250gb and Seagate 1TB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Zotac GTX 780 | Corsair Vengeance C70 Green | OS: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / Win10 #KilledMyWife #MakeBombs

Thanks a lot for the reply, I'll look into these. I thought of getting a new battery / charger ofc, the thing is that I'm not sure they're the exact source of the problem, since the PC now is very slow both with and without battery. As for cooling, I forgot to mention that I did use realtemp, and the temperature was low, always arround 40 / 50 degrees.