93% of Steam userbase born 1st of January

bradscoolio

gaben_by_franz888-d5io834.png

Valve's head honcho Gabe Newell revealed in an odds-defying statement today that 93% of Steam users were born on January 1st.

"It's something that's been really bothering us for awhile," a visibly befuddled Newell told The Noble Eskimo. "The odds of this happening are even less than a billion-to-one. In fact, this is without a doubt the least likely thing that has ever happened on this planet. 93% of our more-than 30 million users were born on January 1st. It's incredible."

Crunching the numbers reveals approximately 27,900,000 of its users share the same New Year's birthday.

Digging a little deeper yields more interesting results. Of the estimated 6.9 billion people on the planet (source: United States Census Bureau), and under the assumption that each day of the year has the same number of birthdays amongst the population, there should be 18,904,110 people sharing birthdays on each calendar date. This is 8,995,890 fewer people than there are Steam users with January 1st birthdays. So what accounts for the disproportionate number of January 1st births?

"It's hard to say exactly why so many babies are born on New Year's as opposed to other days of the year," Newell ponders. "There are many theories floating around the Valve offices, and we have even hired some outside help to determine what the causes are. They've been working diligently for a couple years now, and though they have yet to discover anything conclusive, I remain confident they will find something soon."

Source: http://www.thenobleeskimo.com/steamusers.html

Initially I thought the article was entirely fictitious, it was only about 3/4th of the way through the article before actually realizing what it meant. Job well done my fellow master race associates  :ph34r:

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Lol to be expected i guess. I'm pretty sure i also used January first for my account too haha

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I've used my fair share of internet and I'm in college so I believe I'm qualified to commentate. 

It likely has to do with date of birth defaulting to January 1st when you register for Steam. You can verify this yourself right now by registering a new account on Steam if you don't believe me. This is purely my own speculation, and I would probably need someone at Valve to confirm this for me to be completely sure. 

I'm not sure why they couldn't conclude this themselves. 

Error: 410

There are many theories floating around the Valve offices, and we have even hired some outside help to determine what the causes are. They've been working diligently for a couple years now

Maybe it's the fact most sites universally have the date section be "January 1 XXXX"? It doesn't take years and "outside help" to figure it out..come on, Valve. Are you even trying? People tend to breeze through sign ups all the time. I bet if the format was coded to be a random date instead of default Jan 1, those blowing through sign up pages wouldn't "magically" be 93% Jan 1.

Where are my millions in helping solve the great "mystery"?

I am one of the 7%!

All hail our leader Gaben!

CPU Intel Core i7-3537U @ 3.1GHz  GPU NVIDIA GEFORCE 740M  RAM 4GB DDR3  Storage 500GB 5400 RPM  DISPLAY 1366 x 768 Laptop Display MOBO Laptop MOBO  CASE Laptop Case  PSU Laptop PSU  OS Windows 8.1 x64

Have you considered the possibility that Gabe's comment...

They've been working diligently for a couple years now, and though they have yet to discover anything conclusive, I remain confident they will find something soon."

...Was made as a lighthearted joke and that the answer is in fact obvious and well-known.

Steam never remembers my birthday so when it defaults back to Jan 1st I just change the year.

Funny quote from Newell though.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I normally do my normal birthday but change the birth year to 1980

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I normally do my normal birthday but change the birth year to 1980

As do I.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

The only thing I change is the year so the odds are quite obvious to me

144Hz goodness

if they really think people actually put there real birth date in there idiots

I've used my fair share of internet and I'm in college so I believe I'm qualified to commentate. 

It likely has to do with date of birth defaulting to January 1st when you register for Steam. You can verify this yourself right now by registering a new account on Steam if you don't believe me. This is purely my own speculation, and I would probably need someone at Valve to confirm this for me to be completely sure. 

Pretty sure that was the joke...

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

People, please don't tell me you actually think Gabe's being serious here. The Newell is a billionaire, he's not stupid.

Have you considered the possibility that Gabe's comment...

...Was made as a lighthearted joke and that the answer is in fact obvious and well-known.

Pretty sure that was the joke...

Co1MgZ8.jpg?1

Dear is me, no. I had no idea. Thank you for informing me of my mistake in comprehension. 

Error: 410

Silly GabeN

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I'm pretty sure since January 1st is the month/day, people just set the year back so they can get pass age restrictions.

I'm surprised they haven't thought of that.