Seagate Ironwolf vs Barracuda?

knight_40k

It seems the ironwolf drives are always cheaper than barracuda, why is that? I do not want these for a NAS/sever or any kind of raid config, I just want a large capacity (8-10TB) 7200rpm drive to use in a media PC for all of my data files. I'm done with 5400rpm drives, too slow for my liking. Is there any reason to go ironwolf over barracuda, aside from price?

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

if ironwolf is cheaper than barracuda, then go for it

ironwolf is meant for nas, the seagate equivalent for WD Reds, but you can use it as a regular hard drive. it probably is rated for working better with more vibrations, other hard drives nearby, sitting in a warmer environment

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

At that price difference and capacity you must be looking at the barracuda pro and the non-pro Ironwolf.

If this is true; the difference is warranty length and expected fail-time.

I do not have these drives or the time to research but in my experience the top-tier drives with longest enterprise-grade warranty will have extra sectors for errors. I imagine this will be the case for the pro and non-pro editions of both barracude and ironwolf, but you will have to look this up.

I have some 10 year old WD RE enterprise-grade drives and they have shown to be overkill for non-24/7 use. I replaced them a while back and they have been running for the last five years capturing network packets without any errors. I think these drives are indestructible. 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

10 hours ago, themctipers said:

if ironwolf is cheaper than barracuda, then go for it

ironwolf is meant for nas, the seagate equivalent for WD Reds, but you can use it as a regular hard drive. it probably is rated for working better with more vibrations, other hard drives nearby, sitting in a warmer environment

9 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

At that price difference and capacity you must be looking at the barracuda pro and the non-pro Ironwolf.

-snip

7 hours ago, iiNNeX said:

Go with the Ironwolf

The Drives I was taking about are these two

Barracuda

http://www.ncix.com/detail/seagate-st8000dm002-8tb-sata-6gb-s-58-124088.htm

Ironwolf

http://www.ncix.com/detail/seagate-ironwolf-st8000vn0022-8tb-sata-e9-136979.htm?promoid=1778

Even not on sale it is still $100 cheaper, what gives?

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

1 hour ago, knight_40k said:

The Drives I was taking about are these two

Barracuda

http://www.ncix.com/detail/seagate-st8000dm002-8tb-sata-6gb-s-58-124088.htm

Ironwolf

http://www.ncix.com/detail/seagate-ironwolf-st8000vn0022-8tb-sata-e9-136979.htm?promoid=1778

Even not on sale it is still $100 cheaper, what gives?

pricing error or its your lucky day. Usually it is more expensive. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Part of the pricing anomaly you're seeing is because the desktop-grade drive (ST8000DM002) is an old model which can throw off pricing and product availability. For our current lineup of BarraCudas, the standard line only goes up to 4TB, to get higher capacities, it switches over to the BarraCuda Pro. The 8TB capacity of that is model ST8000DM0004. If you did some price-checking there, the IronWolf is very likely going to come out as more affordable than that still. However, a more fair comparison would be to look at the 8TB IronWolf Pro (ST8000NE0004), since both are "Pro" grade drives, their prices match up pretty consistently, and one of the things you're paying more for is the 5 year warranty, whereas standard desktop-grade drives tend to have a 2 year, and the standard IronWolf has a 3 year. They also come with 2 years of Rescue Services as well.

The IronWolf is going to be a really good value for your needs without raising the hairs on your arms as far as pricing goes.

Regardless of which drive is right for you in the end, thank you for considering Seagate!

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming