AMD sells more chips than intel in EU biggest retailer

Things are looking good for AMD, they are making some cash

Spoiler

AMD CPU sales surpass Intel CPU sales at the EU retailer Mindfactory

Things are starting to look good for AMD, with the company achieving sales numbers that surpass their Intel competition at retail for the first time in over a decade at the German retailer Mindfactory.de, one of the largest retailers of PC components in the EU. 

In the month of August, 56.1% of the CPUs sold at the company were from AMD, with 43.9% being from Intel. AMD's most popular Ryzen CPUs are their R5 1600 and R7 1700, both of which offer high levels of overclocking headroom and huge core counts for their respective prices. Intel on the other had still see their i7 7700K as their most popular product, accounting for a huge portion of their total sales. 

There are a lot of factors that have contributed to Ryzen's success over the past few months, from improved performance and memory compatibility through newer BIOS iterations, to newly released in both ultra-high-end and budget-oriented price points with their Ryzen 3 and Ryzen Threadripper series CPUs. 

This data showcases a lot of consumer confidence in Ryzen, though it will be the coming months that will be the true test for AMD's Ryzen architecture as Intel releases their 8th generation of Core CPUs on the desktop market. Will AMD be able to maintain this lead as Coffee Lake hits store shelves? 

While this is all great news for AMD, it is worth noting that the company has yet to release dedicated mobile Ryzen CPUs, leaving Intel as a dominant force within the mobile market. While AMD has found success with their Ryzen CPU architecture on the desktop, the mobile/laptop market will be the testing ground that will allow AMD to get mindshare amongst regular consumers, with their Ryzen/Vega powered Ryzen mobile series offerings their strongest and most efficient APU to date. 

It must also be remembered that this data is only from a single large retailer, so it is unknown if this success has been replicated globally, even so, it is great news for AMD to find this kind of success anywhere, especially given the situation that they were in just one short year ago.   

You can join the discussion on AMD's CPU sales on the OC3D Forums.   

Source: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_cpu_sales_surpass_intel_cpu_sales_at_the_eu_retailer_mindfactory/1

A year and a half ago, I couldn't imagine this. I still buy intel parts for the time being but seeing this makes me feel optimistic. Now The graphics card division need to drop some competitive GPUs that aren't overpriced and out of stock :| 

@vitor_cut Please fix your post to meet Posting Guidelines for the Tech News subforum:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags (the speech bubble at the top of the editor, under the  :)) to show that you have copied this content from another site.

Don't put everything in a Spoiler, use the Quote function for quotes from the article and add some original input to the post, or the thread will be moved or locked. Thank you.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

That is both unexpected and nice. Competition is back! :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

After all Intel is for the elite not the masses :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

14 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

After all Intel is for the elite not the masses :P

Of course, pentiums are for the rich and elite only. All of us common folk have to buy i5s and 7s instead. And don't get me started about i3s

expected this to be honest, let's hope there's some proper rivalry to come.

Hue hue hue.

5 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

That store is actually nothing in Germany. So don't get your hopes up for AMD.

Clickbait article is deceiving

Not necessarily, the increase in sales compared to intel is a trend, which will extend to other retailers as well. Especially in a market like this. The size of the etailer isn't much of a concern, it's the trends that matter. IMO, the point still stands

this doesn't mean AMD is beating intel at every single etailer, but it shows that AMD has made a substantial comeback, and that they have a range of skus that is selling well.

7 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

That store is actually nothing in Germany. So don't get your hopes up for AMD.

Clickbait article is deceiving

??? Mindfactory is probably the biggest hardware retailer in germany.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

51 minutes ago, Pample said:

Well this is a great turn of events ... for everyone! 

Maybe not for 7700k owners that might get their CPU matched by a measly i3 now but well, a healthier market is better even for them with that temporary setback.

Meanwhile I look forward to dumpster-diving rigs not featuring i7 kabys.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I hope we see this trend gain traction, and I'm exited the effects intel 8Gen and Ryzen APUs have on it!!

Also... Please format for nightmode users!

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

50 minutes ago, Kukielka said:

??? Mindfactory is probably the biggest hardware retailer in germany.

I would have to see numbers to tell if it's them or Alternate, but the two are pretty obvious go-to places. It's even hard to find something on eBay where the bill doesn't come from one of them :P 

2 hours ago, zberry7 said:

Of course, pentiums are for the rich and elite only. All of us common folk have to buy i5s and 7s instead. And don't get me started about i3s

I stand correct, masses can have Ryzen 3 and 5 as Intel's low and mid end makes no sense while the elite has i7's simple as that [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I stand correct, masses can have Ryzen 3 and 5 as Intel's low and mid end makes no sense while the elite has i7's simple as that [:

No, it isn't. AMD has good offerings in the low and mid end with their Ryzen 3 and 5 lineup. But the Pentium G4560 is still a chip which has no competitor in AMDs Ryzen lineup. And in the high end things get a bit more complicated. Why should any streamer for example buy a 7700K over an R7 1700? That just makes no sense to me. Compared to the mid end we have different choices in the high end. And there isn't an simple answer like "AMD is best" or "Intel is best". Instead we have a question: "What do you want to do with your system? Personally I wouldn't buy an i7 7700K because next gen i7 will probably have 6C/12T. But if we just ignore all the next gen stuff and compair the 7700K and the R7 1700 are both good options for different kinds of people. I know someone who does livestreaming and for him I would choose the R7 but right about the release of the R7 lineup one of my friends wanted me o build him a PC and we choose the i7 7700K since he said that he will only do gaming on his PC and needs no multitasking. And I don't even want to talk about X299 vs X399.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

4 minutes ago, GrayTech said:

And I don't even want to talk about X299 vs X399.

Hey now lol,  each has its place, X299 is pretty awesome, if not a little expensive, I mean we are finally getting a true enthusiast platform that pushes the limits of what you can give it. I mean 18 cores at 4.8 ghz without going over 90c? Color me impressed. X399 is great if you just need as many cores as possible and for cheap, then boom, you're good to go!

True enthusiasts, that will actually be purchasing these systems, should be ecstatic.

3 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

[...]

X399 is great if you just need as many cores as possible and FOR CHEAP, then boom, you're good to go!

True enthusiasts, that will actually be purchasing these systems, should be ecstatic.

$1000 just for the CPU

GG no re

Spoiler

I know what you mean, sry I just had to.... :D

But yeah I agree it's a pretty good time to be an enthusiast, again. Back around Haswell-E the same could be said with the 5960x but now it's even better since we got AMD back into the game and moar coaaarz obviously. 

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

7 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

@vitor_cut Please fix your post to meet Posting Guidelines for the Tech News subforum:

Don't put everything in a Spoiler, use the Quote function for quotes from the article and add some original input to the post, or the thread will be moved or locked. Thank you.

Moved to the CPU section until it's edited to fit the Tech News guidelines ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, Vode said:

$1000 just for the CPU

GG no re

Reveal hidden contents

I know what you mean, sry I just had to.... :D

But yeah I agree it's a pretty good time to be an enthusiast, again. Back around Haswell-E the same could be said with the 5960x but now it's even better since we got AMD back into the game and moar coaaarz obviously. 

$1000 for enthusiast isn't bad if you compare over the years. Think about skull trail and how much that platform had cost. $1499 per QX9775, required two, and the board was around $650. Heck the the Pentium XE was $1200 (~1500 today) in 2005. Enthusiasts have always been willing to put the money out for the best of the best. If they offered the 28 core chip unlocked for $3500 people would buy it just to say "I've got 28 cores at 4+ghz."

Locked.

Discussion about this news can continue here;

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !