Install Ubuntu Server 16.0.4 on a hard drive so I can boot from it?

Hello

Let's say that I am running the latest version of OSX.

Is it possible to run a full installation of Ubuntu Server 16.0.4 on a hard drive that is not my macs hard drive? I also want to be able to plug this hard drive into another machine (it runs windows) and boot from it (NOT LIKE A LIVE DISK WITH PERSISTENCE, A FULL INSTALLATION OF IT ON A HARD DISK!!!)

TLDR:

I don't want to have to pull out my desktop to run ubuntu server on it and set it up; i want to have the hard drive already set up so I can just plug it in and let it stay where it is.

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Have you considered virtualization as an alternative to this? It would be slightly more fluid.

Just now, Legendarypoet said:

Have you considered virtualization as an alternative to this? It would be slightly more fluid.

Well I want ubuntu to be installed on the machine without having to take the machine out of its hole and plug the keyboard/mouse+monitor in etc...... I don't know how virtualization works, nor would I know how this would help me...

If you could elaborate that would be cool

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

The way your talking it sounds like you might be trying to do this from an external HD, Ubuntu can be installed and run off a USB drive perfectly fine depending on the type of USB connection (USB 2.0 obviously would have performance issues), if that's what your talking about then that should work.

2 minutes ago, InuYasha86000 said:

The way your talking it sounds like you might be trying to do this from an external HD, Ubuntu can be installed and run off a USB drive perfectly fine depending on the type of USB connection (USB 2.0 obviously would have performance issues), if that's what your talking about then that should work.

Well yeah I could run it off of a USB with persistence but this isn't what I wanted to do because of the aforementioned performance issues. I wanted to...

• Install ubuntu server on a hard disk from my mac
  • Plug the hard disk into my pc and have it run headless (allow me to ssh into the machine and run commands/install things)

2 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

Well I want ubuntu to be installed on the machine without having to take the machine out of its hole and plug the keyboard/mouse+monitor in etc...... I don't know how virtualization works, nor would I know how this would help me...

If you could elaborate that would be cool

Ah, I misinterpreted your use case. Disregard my previous statement.

ok, so basically you want to use it as just a server with nothing connected to it, i'm not sure if ubuntu will work properly if it's installed on one system then moved onto a different system, but if you were to install it into a desktop and installed something like OpenSSH onto it you could then use a program like Putty to access it from anywhere pretty much as long as it's configured properly in your network.

I run minecraft servers and have some experience with doing terminal from other PC's to the servers, the only other method you could potentially use would be a KVM switch if programs and installs get too complicated.

you can pass the entire drive over to virtualbox, install ubuntu server, plug it into any other computer.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_