Hot things get hot! cont. 7980XE, 4.8GHz, and hell's fire.

Drak3

As the Hot things get hot saga continues, WCCF gets word of the 7980XE's first overclock on water.

The benchmark was conducted on a test setup that was running a water cooling setup (it is unknown whether it was closed loop) and showcases surprisingly good thermals. So good, in fact, that the user speculates that Intel might actually have used soldered as the TIM instead of the usual paste found in the rest of the Core-X lineup. He was able to reach an all-core clock speed of 4.8 GHz with temperatures staying below 90c (this would be decent temps for even the 7900X)

So, the 7980XE, which many doubt would hold its boost clock without resorting to extremes as far as water loops are concerned, hit 4.8GHz in WCCF's article, and while staying at a chilly 90c. Nothing short of incredible, and unbelievable by literal definition should Intel still be using Dow Corning paste as the 7980XE's TIM. Of course, expecting this on even a triple 120mm is something worthy of the loonie bin.

The vcore was set to auto and saw a peak of about 1.25v – which is once again pretty acceptable for an OC run. While we wouldn’t recommend a 4.8 GHz OC on any Core-X series processor, all of this information means that clocks like 4.4 GHz+ (at 1.18 vCore) should be very achievable by most users (depending on ambient temperature and the silicon lottery of course) and shows an incredible amount of horsepower tucked behind the surface of the 7980XE

With the vCore peaking at 1.25v, it's looking to be a fairly typical per core power draw. But those 18 cores have got to suck up the juice, so we're still talking scary large amounts of amps and watts, and likely, toasty VRMs in a hopeful scenario.

Dual PSU systems, anyone?

The user scored 37,485 on the FireStrike benchmark (with custom preset) with all 18 cores running at 4.8 GHz, which is a superb score. A single 7900X (with 10 cores) scores around 10000 at stock settings at the stock preset. It is unknown what custom settings were used but in any case, it represents a solid performance number from the CPU and more importantly: impressive overclock ability

The FireStrike score is impressive at first glance. But without running the stock preset, the end results are likely to hide performance scaling or to keep the 7980XE cooler for the duration of the bench run.

Interesting if true. But I sincerely doubt that this is real, or anywhere near what we can expect from some of our more involved enthusiasts.

And naturally, it's hot. It's my expert opinion, that now is the time to panic.

Source, thanks to @Dylanc1500

http://wccftech.com/intels-core-i9-7980xe-flagship-18-core-cpu-gets-first-benchmarks/

Edited by Drak3
I had my fun,

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Is it just me or is the text white? #DarkKnight

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Fix for day theme users :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, ignaloidas said:

FIX FOR LIGHT THEME PLZ

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Fix for day theme users :P

Burn the heretics? #DarkTeme

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

4.8Ghz at 1.25V on 18 cores is EXTREMELY impressive! :o

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Hmm... Move to i5-8600K/i7-8700K or 7980XE for gaming? I'll stick to the i5-8600K... 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Hmm... Move to i5-8600K/i7-8700K or 7980XE for gaming? I'll stick to the i5-8600K... 

BOORRRRIIIIINNNGGG

Why settle for mediocrety when you can game on Hell's fire?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, ARikozuM said:

7980XE, I am VERY impressed. It overclocks better than the 7900X and it has 8 more cores. :o GJ Intel!

Just now, ignaloidas said:

And that's how you make global warming go faster

Yay! Soon I'll have beach front property!

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

This chip would still run below ambient in Florida... 

I'd like to see Intel start making all of their current CPU's with whatever sauce this thing has. Still no confirmation on the solder pre-apply, though...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I'd like to see Intel start making all of their current CPU's with whatever sauce this thing has. Still no confirmation on the solder pre-apply, though...

They are using the exact same paste (they are unfortunately not soldered) ;) The die is larger though, which is why thermal performance isn't as bad as we expected.

As I have said before, it is still using traditional compound (not solder) and most of this is owed to the larger die. Also as I said, the 12c chip is going to be king for people that want a mix of heavy multi-core performance AND higher clock speeds. It has the best of both worlds. 

For those of you that look at 90C on a custom loop and say "that's too hot", remind yourself of how many cores these CPU's have, and cross reference that with the heat produced by traditional consumer i7's, and tell me you honestly expected the 18 core to run anywhere near as cool as your non-soldered quad core. Better yet, get a 7700k (non-delidded), overclock it on a custom loop, and run Linpack MKL for me. I can't help but feel you will still hit 90C on a custom loop, lol.

Now just imagine what these bad boys can do with a delid and some liquid metal alongside these custom loops. With a low enough ambient, and strong enough pump, you might be able to make 5ghz happen on all 18 cores assuming the board doesn't flake out after the constant pressure over time. Safe to say the X299 Apex and X299 OC Formula are going to be required to hold that clock. I highly doubt it can be held on any of the sub $400 boards without some serious active cooling. Now you just have to find someone with the stones to actually delid a $2000+ CPU. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, done12many2 said:

I know this one guy.  I'm gonna ask him.  :ph34r:

Sure, just give me $2000 to buy the damn thing.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

If it's the same guy I know, his mom won't let him get one. He broke the last CPU he had. 

Just now, MageTank said:

If it's the same guy I know, his mom won't let him get one. He broke the last CPU he had. 

I think @Lays mentioned that guy.  He said something about an idiot he personally knew having recently destroyed a chip.

16 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Why buy an extreme edition and not do extreme things? B|

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

The real question we need to know.... Is how much is the power draw?!?!?!?!?

42 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

4.8Ghz at 1.25V on 18 cores is EXTREMELY impressive! :o

Not really. To reach the same clock speed on two CPUs that are same arch but different core counts you should only need a similar amount of voltage (assuming temps are similar). What IS going to be SIGNIFICANTLY higher is current draw. This thing at those clock speeds is probably going to draw close to double of what a 4.6ghz 7900x is doing. AKA enough to make your pc a space heater.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, Masada02 said:

If i recall, some intel processors came without the lid, tough that was before LGA era

Just now, Masada02 said:

Same reason the entire LTT forum complains about the potential pitfalls of the enthusiast platform without ever owning/intending to buy said platform. Because they can B|

Seriously though, a lot of people complain about X299 and threadripper without even having valid complaints, or an intent to even buy the product. Get's extremely old x.x

Aight, someone explain to @MageTank that the thread name, and any jabs at X299 thermals are not legitimate complaints, but jabs at those who think X299 being horrible due to thermals when ran outside of spec?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.