Is the ROG Spatha really that bad?

Jacob Canale

I really want to buy it but some reviewers say its terrible. I love everything about it, but im worried im making the wrong choice. 

I haven't heard anything but if there is anything I would like to know since I too have considered this mouse

Main system "Kethlon":

Core i7 3820 - Intel Desktop Board DX79TO - 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM Dual channel - EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SSC - EVGA 550 B3 - PNY 120GB SSD (boot),WD Blue 1TB (Mass Storage)

See profile for full specs

Primary Laptop "Vengeance":

HP HDX16 1370US - Intel Core2Duo P8700 - 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM Samsung - HGST 1TB 7200RPM (Windows 7, Linux, MacOS 10.11.6) - Nvidia GT 130M 1GB DDR2

Downed Laptop "Xarasky":

MacBookPro3,1 - Core2Duo T7700 - 4GB DDR2 RAM 667MHz - Nvidia 8600M GT 256MB VRAM - 640GB HDD (MacOS and Windows)

Testing laptop #1 "Leonard":

HP 15 F387WM - AMD A8 7410 APU - 8GB DDR3 Samsung RAM 1600MHz - AMD Radeon R5 graphics (1GB VRAM partitioned out of physical RAM) - 500GB WD Blue mobile drive

8 minutes ago, Jacob Canale said:

I really want to buy it but some reviewers say its terrible. I love everything about it, but im worried im making the wrong choice. 

It looks super cheap and uncomfortable, but if you really like it just go with it.

it just isn't worth the price you are paying for it

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

The point of a gaming mouse is to allow you to move your cursor as quickly, comfortably, and accurately as possible. Other things like lights and extra buttons are nice to have, but don't make a mouse any better for gaming.

As far as moving the mouse quickly goes, the Spatha does have wireless going for it. Wireless is great; mouse bungees can only do so much. The option for both braided and rubber cables when charging is needed is also welcome. On the other hand, it's twice as heavy as most proper gaming mice, which makes fast movement an impossibility unless you use a very high DPI. And using a high DPI destroys accuracy, so that's not an option.

For comfort, the weight is again an issue. You're going to fatigue quickly if you use a reasonable sensitivity. The side button placement also works against picking up the mouse, as it replaces the traditional thumb ridge. Magnesium feels great in the hand, Asus's rubber grips are very nice, the finger rests are nice, and the switches on the mouse are great, but there's no overlooking the above gamebreakers. I'd normally comment on how a mouse's dimensions suit different grip styles and hand sizes, but the button placement is unsuitable for all of them.

For accuracy? You've got wireless latency on top of Asus's higher than average USB latency, an Avago 9800 (infamous for acceleration), and a chassis that requires minimal lift-off high DPI use.

Overall it fails at being a gaming mouse. It does perform remarkably well as an RGB metal bodied desk sculpture, but you could get an actually decent mechanical keyboard to fulfill the same role for that price.