Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theereal

Streaming PC to TV In living room

I use Steam Link, works through your home network over LAN or wifi, has built in USB for controllers or keyboard/mouse.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I wanted to play the games on my PC on my TV In the living room. To do this i realized I would either have to move the computer back and forth or get a 40m long HDMI cable (not even sure if those exist). Is there a way to stream wirelessly from the PC to the TV In the living room? Without lag ofcourse and good picture quality. The signal needs to go through a door (which Is relatively thin) but also a bearing wall (which Is thicker than a normal wall). Are there any products out there that do this?

There are wireless HDMI products, but probably not any that can go that far through your obstacles. I'd just move it back and forth and save a whack ton of money. Or you could go with the Steam sharing (or whatever it's called, don't use Steam personally) option or a Steam Link. 

POST THE SPECIFICATIONS OF YOUR COMPUTER IN YOUR QUESTION FOR EASIER HELP

Main Laptop: HP Envy M6 AE-151DX, Intel Core i5-5200u (Broadwell Dual Core), 8GB DDR3, Intel HD 5500 Graphics, 240GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SATA 6.0Gb/s and 64GB SanDisk MicroSD Card (secondary storage), Windows 10 Professional/ Linux Mint 18.3 MATE

ChromeBook: Gateway NV79, Intel Core i3-330M, 2GB DDR3, Integrated graphics, 80GB Seagate Barracuda, Neverware Cloudready

Folding Machine: Dell Vostro 260 MT, Intel Core i5-2400, 2GB DDR3 (broken DIMM slot), Intel HD 2000 Graphics, 80GB Seagate Barracuda, Linux Mint 18.3 MATE running Folding at Home on Full Power 24/7

Testing Desktop: Dell Inspiron 560 in a Compaq case, Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2220, 5GB DDR3, XFX RX 570 4GB (don't ask), 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Windows 8.1 Professional

Hackintosh: Dell OptiPlex 780 SFF Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3GHz Dual Core), 5GB DDR3 1066, GeForce 9500 GT 1GB Graphics, 500GB Samsung Spinpoint 2.5" HDD, Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Secondary Laptop: HP Pavilion G6 2233NR, Intel Core i3-2370M (Sandy Bridge Dual Core), 8GB DDR3, Intel HD 3000 Graphics, 320GB Toshiba 2.5" HDD, Windows 10 Professional (soon to be Mint 18.3/Windows 10/Windows 7)

Main Server: Dell OptiPlex 755 MT, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3GHz Dual Core), 8GB DDR2 800MHz, Radeon HD 4670 512MB Graphics, 60GB OCZ Vertex 2, Windows Server 2016 (I upgraded!)

Secondary Server: Dell OptiPlex 330 MT, Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 (2.53GHz Dual Core), 4GB DDR2 800Mhz, Intel Integrated Graphics, 500GB WD Caviar Blue, 500GB Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Greenpower, 500GB WD Caviar Green, FreeNAS

Online Machine: Paperspace, GPU+ Virtual Machine, Intel Xeon E5-2623 V4, 30GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M4000 8GB, 100GB SSD, Windows Server 2016

Another Server: HP Compaq DC7900 SFF, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.00GHz Dual core), 6GB DDR2 800MHz, Intel Integrated Graphics, 250GB WD Caviar Blue, Windows Server 2008 R2 (main OS)/Windows 7 Professional (other reasons)

2 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

Steam broadcast. Only woks if it is on the same network though

Broadcast my game to my laptop and hook the laptop up to the TV? But wont there be a delay like Twitch?

3 minutes ago, DrJones said:

I use Steam Link, works through your home network over LAN or wifi, has built in USB for controllers or keyboard/mouse.

Does It require a Smart TV?

Just now, theereal said:

Ok, thanks! :)

Anytime! Keep in mind that it will perform better with more internet bandwidth, so good internet is preferred. It has the ability to either utilize all bandwidth capacity or use an adaptive mode that will tone things down to save on bandwidth, pick the one best for you.

Also it works best when Steam on the PC is set to full display mode or whatever it's called. It creates a better UI that is easier to use on the TV and plays ball with the Link better.

Once set up properly, you can use it even on your desktop and other applications as long as steam is running and communicating to the device.

Have fun!

28 minutes ago, theereal said:

Broadcast my game to my laptop and hook the laptop up to the TV? But wont there be a delay like Twitch?

there will be some delay as well as some loss of picture quality, how much depends on the hardware and network you use (wired network strongly recommended)

it is not nearly as much delay as twitch has. i would not use steam streaming to play competitive esports ranked match stuff but everything else should be fine 

27 minutes ago, theereal said:

Does It require a Smart TV?

nope, it requires a 2nd computer that has steam on it and enough balls to decode h264 in real time. 

or a steam link instead. wich is kind of the "fire and forget" solution

I just leave my computer over by my TV (short wired connection) and use wireless keyboard & mouse.  Works well so far, and PC use is not limited to games.