Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nicklmg

How many PCIe Extensions is TOO MANY??

You've given her all she's got captain!

Build Logs: Cotton Candy Threads | ZEN CLARITY + | Just NCASE mITX | Noc Noc | NUC | Storage Log

Cotton Candy Threads - CPU AMD Threadripper 2950X | GPU 2x ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti | MOBO Asus ROG Zenith Extreme | MEMORY 128GB (8x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 | STORAGE 3x Samsung 960 Evo SSD + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 8TB 7.2k HDDs | PSU Corsair HX1200i w/ Cablemod Pro Extensions | COOLING Enermax LiqTech TR4 II 360 | CASE Lian Li O11 Dynamic Black | LIGHTING 2x Corsair HD120 Fans, 4x Corsair Addressable RGB Strips, 2x Corsair Commander Pro | PCPP

ZEN CLARITY + - CPU AMD Ryzen 2700X | GPU Radeon Vega 64 STRIX | MOBO Crosshair VII Hero | MEMORY 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 | STORAGE Samsung 960 Pro SSD + 2x SanDisk Ultra II SSDs | PSU Corsair RM1000i | COOLING Corsair H150i Pro | CASE Crystal 570X | LIGHTING 6x Corsair SP120 Fans, Cablemod Addressable RGB Strip, Corsair Commander Pro | PCPP

Just NCASE mITX - CPU Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz | GPU EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | MOBO Asus Z370-I Gaming | MEMORY 16GB (2x 8GB) G.Skill Triden-Z RGB 3000 | STORAGE Samsung 960 Evo 500GB SSD + Corsair MX500 1TB M.2 SSD | PSU Corsair SF600 | COOLING Noctua NH-U9S w/ Redux Push/Pull Fans | CASE NCase M1v5 | LIGHTING 2x Cablemod Addressable RGB Strips | PCPP

Noc Noc, Who's There? - CPU AMD Threadripper 1950X | GPU ASUS RTX 2080 OC | MOBO ASRock X399M Taichi | MEMORY 32GB (4x 8GB) GSkill Trident-Z 3200 | STORAGE Samsung 970 Evo SSD | PSU Corsair HX1000i w/ Cablemod Pro B&W Kit | COOLING Noctua U9 TR4 w/ 2x Redux 92mm | CASE Corsair 280X White | FANS 6x Noctua 140mm Redux | PCPP

Nice! I've been recommending this for a while!

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

6 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Actually I'm curious to know about this :)

Yeah, while PCIE may be a bit extreme, testing 'practical maximum cable length' is an interesting metric since most people quote on paper numbers which are usually VERY conservative to offer a 100% chance of everything working right.

I'd actually enjoy seeing the max cable length tested on a range of cables.

13 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Pointless video is pointless.

Sometimes the greatest discoveries were about answering the most dumb sounding questions.

Not saying we're on the verge of a revolution here, but it's always nice to answer said dumb sounding questions.

16 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Buy PCIe extensions
Amazon: http://geni.us/Ej85Tkv
Newegg: http://geni.us/Xu5qQN

Can PCIe extensions cause a loss in GPU performance? We investigate!!

I wonder how many PCIe expansions you guys would've been able to use if each one was powered and shielded. Since you wouldn't have to worry about vdroop (as much) over such long wires or EMI interference, you might be able to go even further.

15 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Even if you thing the video is pointless, they've done worse. pizza warmer anyone?

Using Thermaltake risers.. I too like to live very dangerously.

But I like these type of videos. Just trying stuff to see how it turns out.

I like the banter between Linus and Ivan too.

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"How can someone win if winning means that someone loses" - Scatman John

"We’re here to make you think about death and get sad and stuff.” - Scott Pilgrim

Gear:                           .                                                                                                                         .

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 || Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz (running at 2933Mhz) || GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || PSU: Corsair RMx 750W

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm || Mouse: Roccat Kiro || Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL || Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Minibois' Digital Art Thread

Reviews: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Wacom Intuos Pen Small || Roccat Kiro

Threads: Pokémon Thread || Dutch Talk || Super Smash Bros. Melee Thread

Setup: Current setup

45 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

serve2.thumb.jpg.e191c7661074f104b20cec649aede9a2.jpg

RAM1.thumb.jpg.ac7aa4f5c0c4693cd95df4173857e85d.jpg

Jesus fucking Christ! What kind of sorcery is this. Had no idea this was possible, thanks for sharing, TIL.

Anyway, awesome video. I was always wondering how much do these extensions affect performance. Looks like as long you buy a fancy one and not the cheap gray ones off eBay, you're all good.

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

1 minute ago, Progressor said:

Jesus fucking Christ! What kind of sorcery is this. Had no idea this was possible, thanks for sharing, TIL.

Anyway, awesome video. I was always wondering how much do these extensions affect performance. Looks like as long you buy a fancy one and not the cheap gray ones off eBay, you're all good.

Nope, these were cheap ones off eBay. FYI, they've run in my server for 18 months without issue.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Nope, these were cheap ones off eBay. FYI, they've run in my server for 18 months without issue.

In regards to the performance I was talking about Linus's video. Anyway, it's good to know that the ram extensions work flawlessly too. Thanks for the info, I wish I was aware of this a month ago when I was shopping for second hand desktop ddr3, I would have went with laptop ram which I found was much cheaper.

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

From what I understand FurMark doesn't stress the databus as much. Becuase it's designed to overheat the GPU it will load into GPU memory and go from there or CPU would be a factor too. On some systems it would stress out the CPU before GPU. This could explain why it's stable as there isn't as much data being transfered.

Would've liked to see a game.

Can someone PLEASE try with an RX 480 or 580?

I'm currently trying to use a perfectly reasonable length (~7") with an RX 480 and getting crashes as soon as I try to install the drivers (works fine directly in the slot).
The extension I'm using is similar to this

If I use one of these 
Product Details
It works but I suspect an RX 480 might get bottle necked on PCI-E 2.0 1x (I'll try to do some benchmarks to test that soon)

Building a 2 gamer 1 CPU + other stuff machine with an EVGA SR-2 board 

From my research it seems the RX 480 cards draw a LOT of power through the motherboard (more than the PCI-E calls for)

I ordered a couple different replacement extentions

16X PCI-Express PCI-E 164 Pin Ribbon Powered Riser Extender Cable

And this thermal take (different than what LTT used in the video I think)

59a87968df44a_thermaltakepci-eextension.jpg.eb1e8de9359fe1c21dc00a9c492d990f.jpg

But they are taking forever to ship

My theory is I'm getting a power drop across the extension but I don't know that a higher quality or shielded cable will make a difference.  Maybe the auxiliary molex connector will help it seemed to work on that 1x extension I tried.

Project EGOR - Overkill on a budget

3 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

I've built 3 custom cases until now, last 2 could've been better if I used a PCI-e extension. Held of because extension cables have a bad rep, Linus made a video on that way back. Good to see reliability has improved on these cables.