How many PCIe Extensions is TOO MANY??

:D PCIe Raiser extention with higher price then the GPU itself :D

Everybody in the youtube comments are saying why not do everything?

Well Linus did already reviewed a 100 foot USb3 cable-

very good video, very interesting

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

I enjoyed this, In the future though, i'd love some kind of table that specified the actual values.

i.e. Graphics card / Cable length / post? (Y/N) / FPS

5 hours ago, mariushm said:

There's one more thing... there's no numbers about how reliable the connection was.

I get your point, but eventually your bandwidth will saturate and you'll get dropped frames. Plus, the goal was to find out what maximum length could be achieved under normal "gaming" conditions - not a theoretical maximum.

Hell yeah,now I know how far away my video card can stay from the motherboard!

Thanks Linus !

I am really into music games and my neighbours don't like it

I swear to god Ivan is the Crazy Russian back in the old NCIX Tech Tips days. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

While it was fun watching this strictly technically speaking these kinds of tests are heavily depend on the tested device. Even another card from the same batch will differ. There are no two eactly same electronic component in the universe. Thats why there is a price difference between components. You select the with the cheapest component which works under the specified specs. So what might happen. As distance is increased the data bus began to work as antenna so if there is a transmitter nearby (a cell tower maybe) It might fail. if the cable is not straight it might fail ( Cat-5e Ethernet cable has 4 twisted pairs seperated by plastic have you ever wonder why ?) . Even with the same card two months later it might fail due to capacitors losing their values by aging or change in temperature (Capacitor drift). Also as time goes by dust and moist begin to settle on card it will begin to operate as an electronic component and it might fail. 

So i said before while its fun to watch, do not bet on this working on the long run.

PS: Yeah, and i'm also fun at the parties B|

23 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Pointless video is pointless.

while 3 meters is indeed pointless, it sets a good example for what a properly made extension cable can offer reliability-wise in a more realistic case llke 10-30cm.

20 hours ago, Minibois said:

Using Thermaltake risers.. I too like to live very dangerously.

But I like these type of videos. Just trying stuff to see how it turns out.

I like the banter between Linus and Ivan too.

i wouldnt see what thermaltake could do wrong here.. i mean.. i use sharkoon sata cables :P

as for the banter between linus and ivan, ivan must be a really good actor because i cant tell wether he actually hates his life for working at LMG or not :P

18 hours ago, mariushm said:

As usual, loads of problems with this video as well.

You guys managed that long distance because several reasons:

1 extensions were well made and SHIELDED

2. extensions were kept relatively flat and in one direction only (no bends, no twists)

3. the pci-e 3.0 controller is probably way more powerful than the pci-e 2.0 controller on the other card.

-snip-

as usual, comments like yours have flaws in them as well ;)

1: they mentioned, they pulled out one of the shitty ones they have, and say you can barely hook up two of them in a row.

2: they have a bend, the bend is in the corner of the table. and seriously, why would you bend a bus cable that's 10cm wide? also, he didnt quite iron out the kinks in the cables did he? in fact, it's laid out extremely messy.

3: which was kinda implied in his thinking out loud, and not really a problem is it? all it shows is that one card may be capable of handling more than the other.

there's some more issues in the rest of it, but i'll get you a pass on that because you at least tried, and didnt just go "all the video sucks" like some others manage to do every day, and i'd prefer to do some useful stuff on my friday evening.

besides, talking gaming tests, i'm pretty sure they did those for the wall-puter.

--

if you want to find faults, you'll find faults in just about anything, if you want to see it as a source of information there's more lessons to be learned than faults to be dug up.

if the company i work for would be as sensitive to making mistakes as you seem to be they'd have to fire everyone, including the boss-man himself. instead appareantly our work is still high enough standard for the medical industry to like our IT work ;)

12 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I swear to god Ivan is the Crazy Russian back in the old NCIX Tech Tips days. 

He is.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

as for the banter between linus and ivan, ivan must be a really good actor because i cant tell wether he actually hates his life for working at LMG or not :P

In his short time working here Ivan has proven to be an incredibly dedicated guy who cares deeply for the work that he does. I'm extremely impressed with the guy.

His sense of humor is very dry at times so it may come off as negative, but that's not the feeling that I get from him in our "real" conversations at all. Great dude.

14 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

He is.

In his short time working here Ivan has proven to be an incredibly dedicated guy who cares deeply for the work that he does. I'm extremely impressed with the guy.

His sense of humor is very dry at times so it may come off as negative, but that's not the feeling that I get from him in our "real" conversations at all. Great dude.

essentially what i expected :D

dude has talent.

Ха ха!

What looks like happened here was Linus was trying to do a Linus Tech Tips video while Ivan was trying to do a parody of a Linus Tech Tips video.

On 2017-08-31 at 1:41 PM, nicklmg said:

Pointless comment posted 1 minute after a ~10 minute video is set live is pointless.

SHOTS FIRED!

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

I was interested by this because I used extensions in two cases to add more cards than there was normally room for and the thought occurred "how long could this be? it's not ethernet cable it's internal bus I'm messing with." Supprisingly long, it seems, though it's not a great supprise because they run pci express over thunderbolt too. 

A word of warning: I accidentally peeled off the blue protective tape of one cheap chinese extender, which by itself was not bad, but it revealed how horribly the ribbon cable was soldered to the small PCB. I couldn't use it without being worried of the bus some time shorting out and frying the motherboard.

• 2 years later...
On 8/31/2017 at 9:43 PM, AshleyAshes said:

serve2.thumb.jpg.e191c7661074f104b20cec649aede9a2.jpg

RAM1.thumb.jpg.ac7aa4f5c0c4693cd95df4173857e85d.jpg

Hi

Why did you use that Setup?

Thanks

From AT. :x

• 1 year later...