The Brewery - LTT Homebrewing Community

GOTSpectrum

Guys, are any of you on here brewers, as in wine, beer, cider and/or mead.

I've been brewing for a couple years now and I'm always eager to find new brewers to talk to! 

EDIT: A place where you can come and tell everyone about your brews and experiences with home brewed booze. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I once tried to brew raspberry mead, but it ended up terribly.

The fermentation apperently went south. It ended up with twice the alcohol percentage that was planned and it tasted like rotten fruit.

Since then I haven't tried brewing anything.

However, I may or may not have had a home destillery for a couple of years.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I homebrewed my Wii...

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

34 minutes ago, Volbet said:

I once tried to brew raspberry mead, but it ended up terribly.

The fermentation apperently went south. It ended up with twice the alcohol percentage that was planned and it tasted like rotten fruit.

Since then I haven't tried brewing anything.

However, I may or may not have had a home destillery for a couple of years.

Haha I think there's a possibility I may or may not have given the same experiment a go once or twice.

27 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

I homebrewed my Wii...

I don't quite think this is applicable here /s

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

brewed my own beer once, and had a lot of fun with it.

ended up tasting pretty decent too. i actually might consider doing it again

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

14 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

brewed my own beer once, and had a lot of fun with it.

ended up tasting pretty decent too. i actually might consider doing it again

Would definitely say give it another go!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I've done a little bit of everything. I've done a lot of grain brewing as of late.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

Just brewed my first beer there before summer, have nearly worked through the 26 liters :P Excited for whats next !

Its  good fun, but there's a lot to know out there....

What do you brew, OP?

Also have made some sauerkraut, its not really "brewing" but it is fermentation, so thats something. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

10 hours ago, Nup said:

Just brewed my first beer there before summer, have nearly worked through the 26 liters :P Excited for whats next !

Its  good fun, but there's a lot to know out there....

What do you brew, OP?

Also have made some sauerkraut, its not really "brewing" but it is fermentation, so thats something. 

Personally I do mostly meads, wines and ciders, But i am getting back into all grain with my first batch tonight!

What kind of brewing are you doing?

11 hours ago, Terryv said:

I've done a little bit of everything. I've done a lot of grain brewing as of late.

Any decent recipes to share? Wouldn't mind a peek at your sett up next time shes out

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Any decent recipes to share? Wouldn't mind a peek at your sett up next time shes out

This is what I made a few weeks ago: https://beerrecipes.org/Recipe/13990/root-beer-oatmeal-milk-stout.html

Currently bottled and will be in the cellar until December. First attempt with this one, I hope it's good.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

2 hours ago, Terryv said:

This is what I made a few weeks ago: https://beerrecipes.org/Recipe/13990/root-beer-oatmeal-milk-stout.html

Currently bottled and will be in the cellar until December. First attempt with this one, I hope it's good.

I'm working on a RIS recipe of my own right now, got one other brewer doing a test batch for me. Got to see how it goes.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Is homebrewing even safe? I have heard of cases where some kind of toxic substances where produced while trying to produce Vodka and similar products with a lot of alcohol in it. 

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

Is homebrewing even safe? I have heard of cases where some kind of toxic substances where produced while trying to produce Vodka and similar products with a lot of alcohol in it. 

That's home distillation. Although there really haven't been any confirmed cases, only when people spiked their products with cleaning alcohols like methanol or isopropanol during the prohibition in America. Home distillation is illegal in most countries anyway.

Brewing on the other hand is both safe and enjoyable. Plus you get some breathing tasting beers, wines and the like!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 9/1/2017 at 7:07 PM, Ben Quigley said:

That's home distillation. Although there really haven't been any confirmed cases, only when people spiked their products with cleaning alcohols like methanol or isopropanol during the prohibition in America. Home distillation is illegal in most countries anyway.

There have been confirned cases, although, these days they aren't as common as they used to. 

For example, in 2012 the Czech Republic had to ban all sales of liquor due to certain bootleg spirits containing methanol. 

While part of the problem was due to the addage of methanol in the form of antifreeze (yummy), some was also traced back to distilation at the wrong temperature. 

Also, reading this thread really makes me want to try brewing again. 

A friend of mine makes a coffee beer that tastes amazing. 

2 minutes ago, Volbet said:

There have been confirned cases, although, these days they aren't as common as they used to. 

For example, in 2012 the Czech Republic had to ban all sales of liquor due to certain bootleg spirits containing methanol. 

While part of the problae was due to the addage of methanol in the form of antifreeze (yummy), some was also traced back to distilation at the wrong temperature. 

Thanks for the information, but generally speaking, unless it has more methanol than ethanol, it won't kill you. Although it would still be a very unpleasant experience. Ethanol is used as the treatment for methanol poisoning. 

Go for it! You say again, meaning you have done it in the past, what did you brew, kits? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Go for it! You say again, meaning you have done it in the past, what did you brew, kits? 

I tried making raspberry mead, but as mentioned, something went completly wrong with it. 

My "kit" was pretty much just a big soup pot, a glass jug and the central heating dirstribution room of my apartment complex.

However, the mead ended up way stronger than planned and it smelled and tasted very foul. 

If I had to guess, then there was probably a leak, meaning the mixture essentially oxidized, essentially rotting the mead rather than fermenting it. 

If I were to try again I would really like to make to make milk-based beer. To my knowledge there's only one on the market (and then only in Japan), and I do think it's a very intersting way to do it. 

3 minutes ago, Volbet said:

I tried making raspberry mead, but as mentioned, something went completly wrong with it. 

My "kit" was pretty much just a big soup pot, a glass jug and the central heating dirstribution room of my apartment complex.

However, the mead ended up way stronger than planned and it smelled and tasted very foul. 

If I had to guess, then there was probably a leak, meaning the mixture essentially oxidized, essentially rotting the mead rather than fermenting it. 

If I were to try again I would really like to make to make milk-based beer. To my knowledge there's only one on the market (and then only in Japan), and I do think it's a very intersting way to do it. 

Milk based beer, do you mean beer with lactose or literally milk based? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

Milk based beer, do you mean beer with lactose or literally milk based? 

Actually based on milk

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7379459

It's a very aquired taste, but I do think the idea has potential if developed a bit further than what was done. 

The whole texture and taste experience is quite different than regular beers. 

Well that's the mash on for tonight's brew, only one thing, I really have no idea what it is! Just a random recipe kit someone gave me!

A picture of my set up for you guys interested with home built temp controller. 

DSC_0456.JPG

DSC_0461.JPG

DSC_0448.JPG

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 hours ago, Volbet said:

While part of the problae was due to the addage of methanol in the form of antifreeze (yummy), some was also traced back to distilation at the wrong temperature. 

Most methanol contamination comes from bad equipment, such as used car radiators as condensers (let's not forget lead contamination from said radiator) or intentional contamination, methanol is added to raise the proof of distilled alcohol (cheap too)

Most of the intentional methanol poisonings during prohibition come from this: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2010/02/the_chemists_war.html

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

7 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Personally I do mostly meads, wines and ciders, But i am getting back into all grain with my first batch tonight!

What kind of brewing are you doing?

I would love to make cider some day, lovely stuff.

Happy brewing then, throw up some pictures!! :P

I just did a very simple brew, nice light beer, maybe a lager? couldnt tell you tbh.

Just saw those pictures. Looks nice, are you keeping the brew heated?

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

That moment when you come to say something stupid like "I love me sum moonshyne!" and it turns out that's exactly what's happening...

#FeelingStupid

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, Nup said:

I would love to make cider some day, lovely stuff.

Happy brewing then, throw up some pictures!! :P

I just did a very simple brew, nice light beer, maybe a lager? couldnt tell you tbh.

Just saw those pictures. Looks nice, are you keeping the brew heated?

What do you mean by "are you keeping the brew heated?" If you been throughout fermentation then I have a fermentation chamber that is temperature controlled.

My boiler is homemade from a HDPE bucket a kettle element and a temp controller I built.

Here's a few more pics for you, I'm just heating up to the boil now.

DSC_0460.JPG

DSC_0464.JPG

IMG_20170901_211841.jpg

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

That moment when you come to say something stupid like "I love me sum moonshyne!" and it turns out that's exactly what's happening...

#FeelingStupid

Haha it's not quite moonshine, that stuff is distilled haha but close enough ?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I finally decided to try to make wine from the grapes that grow in our backyard. Takes some more weeks before they're ripe enough and it's really not that much but I've always wanted to give it a shot :). If it works out I'll post some pictures. Any advice in advance? Completely new to this so I hope I won't make my family mad by spoiling a few pounds of their beloved grapes :P 

Wi RoZ