SATA Port Broke off mobo. Ok to clip pins?

Flashie

So after nearly 2 years of strain and regular unplugging to clean and re-cable manage (every 3 to 6 months); My SSD's sata cable (One with a latch) had a tonne of strain on it; which bent the plastic port almost to the point of falling off of the board. Well - About 2 months ago; That was exactly the case. The port popped off in routine cleaning; Along with the sata cable.  All that remains currently is the pins in its place. For the 2 months i've been using it since - i've positioned the sata-port (the plastic part) back over the pins to keep them from touching each other and shorting.

59a815f8c87e6_WhatsAppImage2017-08-31at15_54_23.thumb.jpeg.ef2db2ace0a052628270b20238e40537.jpeg

59a815f58d265_WhatsAppImage2017-08-31at15_53_59.thumb.jpeg.42ea388257e4060723125fa6517e4100.jpeg

Im busy rebuilding my PC into a different case and am wondering - can i now take the plastic part off; and clip the exposed pins down to as far as possible with my cleancut dikes?

5 minutes ago, Flashie said:

~Snip~

I'm unsure if you'd be able to connect the SATA cable if you trimmed the wire down.

If you're a hobby-shop guy, I may try using some Loctite glue (make sure it's safe to use on a motherboard) and glue the plastic cover back on.

But if you're not using the plug, then I guess you could cut the wires. Shouldn't damage the motherboard.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Yes you can, sure you can't use this port anymore but cutting the pins off wouldn't damage anything else.

Source: Broke/Ripped some SATAs myself, on the old LGA 1551 board which was the old mobo from my brother I even "rescued" one port by soldering a chopped SATA cable directly on the board this worked till I tossed it on ebay for little cash. The protocoll/system itself is relativly sturdy or simple I guess (doesn't need much shielding to work more or less flawlessly).

EDIT: As Imbellis said, some glue and the old plastic thingy together with less straign and it sould be fine to get used again. (I even wouldn't cringe about some blobs of hot glue :D )

9 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

I'm unsure if you'd be able to connect the SATA cable if you trimmed the wire down.

If you're a hobby-shop guy, I may try using some Loctite glue (make sure it's safe to use on a motherboard) and glue the plastic cover back on.

But if you're not using the plug, then I guess you could cut the wires. Shouldn't damage the motherboard.

8 minutes ago, Narnash said:

Yes you can, sure you can't use this port anymore but cutting the pins off wouldn't damage anything else.

Source: Broke/Ripped some SATAs myself, on the old LGA 1551 board which was the old mobo from my brother I even "rescued" one port by soldering a chopped SATA cable directly on the board this worked till I tossed it on ebay for little cash. The protocoll/system itself is relativly sturdy or simple I guess (doesn't need much shielding to work more or less flawlessly).

Thanks guys; I just needed some reassurance here. When the port popped off; one of the pins popped off inside with it; so short of soldering the whole thing together again; This port wasn't going to be seeing any new life anytime soon. The jobs been done :) Tx59a81ab235027_WhatsAppImage2017-08-31at16_17_03.jpeg.4cc2979f50c26923e1d720cf9f30f63a.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Flashie said:

~Snip~

Oh yeah, you have tons of other SATA connectors.

But what about pulling out all of the other pins? I see some in the top left of the picture!:D

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

1 minute ago, Imbellis said:

Oh yeah, you have tons of other SATA connectors.

But what about pulling out all of the other pins? I see some in the top left of the picture!:D

Lol, i wouldn't dare. Those are the front panel and USB headers