GPU Recommendations £500+

266600_1454182195

Recently my 970 died on me (I've started the RMA process and I'm getting a new one in the next week) and I've been looking to upgrade for quite a while. I haven't been involved in hardware and all the new stuff for about one year so I don't know what's good now. I have £500 budget but I'm flexible. I've been stuck on the GTX 1080 or 1080ti (specifically the "GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 G1 GAMING") but would appreciate any suggestions. 

(preferably the GPU can be bought on Amazon UK)

20 minutes ago, 266600_1454182195 said:

Recently my 970 died on me (I've started the RMA process and I'm getting a new one in the next week) and I've been looking to upgrade for quite a while. I haven't been involved in hardware and all the new stuff for about one year so I don't know what's good now. I have £500 budget but I'm flexible. I've been stuck on the GTX 1080 or 1080ti (specifically the "GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 G1 GAMING") but would appreciate any suggestions. 

(preferably the GPU can be bought on Amazon UK)

Personally, I'd recommend the 1080 instead of the 1080TI, but it partially depends on the rest of your rig.

If you have a mid-end chip (high end in everybody else's view), then the 1080 should be fine.  If you play in 1400p, the 1080 should run you at as many frames as you should need unless you're running at 4k.

Here's a link to a 1080 Windforce OC, ~25 Pounds cheaper than the G1 Gaming that I found.

IMO there's just no reason to buy the TI unless you're specifically going to use it - and instead spend the rest into other parts or saving for when better deals come out.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

You'd be paying ~23% more ( £579 and £ 469) for a card that gives you ~12% performance boost that most games won't use (or it won't be noticeable).

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

7 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

You'd be paying ~23% more ( £579 and £ 469) for a card that gives you ~12% performance boost that most games won't use (or it won't be noticeable).

Thanks a lot for your advice. I have a 4790k and I'm gonna choose the GTX 1080. Is there any point getting the G1 Gaming over the normal one?

(specifically £509.99 "GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 G1 GAMING" VS £469.99 "Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1080 GDDR5 8GB OC WF3 PCI-E")

50 minutes ago, 266600_1454182195 said:

Thanks a lot for your advice. I have a 4790k and I'm gonna choose the GTX 1080. Is there any point getting the G1 Gaming over the normal one?

(specifically £509.99 "GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 G1 GAMING" VS £469.99 "Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1080 GDDR5 8GB OC WF3 PCI-E")

The G1 may get slightly better overclocking if it is designed with better cooling, but for 40 pounds, I wouldn't say that it is worth it.

Also, make sure your case supports the length of the card.

I would get the 1080 unless you do crazy thinks that would warrant the need for the ti

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

1 hour ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

I would get the 1080 unless you do crazy thinks that would warrant the need for the ti

personally have the 1080ti hybrid card from evga. Games wont utilize it to the max. I left it at base speed and still have 200+ frames in most games on ultra and less optimized games like pubg i play at 1440p at 110-120fps. But i mainly bought it for 3d rendering and auto cad for school and im the lead designer for my robotics team. for strait up gaming the 1080 is a perfect card.