uTorrent and ethernet cable speed?

Go to solution Solved by gbergeron,
1 minute ago, KieuVanQuan said:

My torrent is still slow with ethernet. Idk what else to do.

Try to allow some upload like 50 kb or 100 kb minimum. Sometimes you need to upload to get good download rates.

Also try the application DELUGE

Its way better than bittorrent or utorrent as it is a open source app

Hi,

I have this USB wi-fi adapter: TL-WN822N 300mb/s and I've been using it for quite a while. With this my download speed is 30 to 70 mb/s and I often get 5mb/s+ download speed while using uTorrent so it's all good.

But today I bought a (cat. 6) utp ethernet cable. I ran an internet speed test and it's 3x higher. It gave me 150-160mb/s download speed. But on uTorrent it seems to be extremely slow, I only reached 450kb/s and I've been running torrents for hours now, still ~400kb/s and now I switched back to Wifi adapter and the torrent file which goes at 400kb/s on my ethernet cable is downloading at now 6mb/s -.-

What can the problem be?

Specs:

mobo: gigabyte z97 gaming 7

ram: 4x8gb corsair ddr3 1600mhz

cpu: i5-4460 3.2gz

USB Wifi adapter: TL-WN822N 300mbs and has its corresponding driver installed

Ethernet connection cable: cat6 cable and has corresponding driver installed (Killer Network Manager latest ver.)

CPU i5-4460 @ 3.2 ghzMotherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7RAM 32gb Corsair Vengance 1600mhzGPU GTX-750 TICase Carbide 400R | SSD Plextor M8Pe(Y) 256gb NVME | SSHD Barracuda 1TB PSU CX430Display LG 29UM55-P Ultrawide | Keyboard Trust 3-way LEDMouse Razer Death Adder V2 Left Handed | Speakers Genius SW-HF 5.1 6000Headset Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO | Sound Card Xonar Essence STXIIOS Windows 8.1 x64 Professional, build 9600 | Theme(s) Windows 7, Vista & Aero from DeviantArt

its a torrent, speeds can vary greatly based on the swarm size and available bandwidth, nothing is necessarily wrong here

if you had any port forwarding setup for this, make sure that you change the MAC and IP addresses to correspond to your Ethernet NIC

Cat.6 may go up to 1,000 Mbps, go to speedtest.net to test your speed connection.

Finally slow torrent download speeds may be the result of a lack of seeds and a slow internet connection, but there are ways to tweak your utorrent settings and optimize your connections for maximum download speeds.

Aldo you will never be able to reach the utorrent speed that your provider tells you.

Recommend: Don't utorrent support the creators and developers of there work :) 

1 minute ago, possibleluck said:

Recommend: Don't utorrent support the creators and developers of there work :) 

Ubuntu......it has a torrent ISO download :) 

as do most Linux distros

4 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

Ubuntu......it has a torrent ISO download :) 

as do most Linux distros

I totally understand... tweak your utorrent settings there are loads videos on YT

Other wise download ubuntu from https://www.ubuntu.com its free

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Torrent speeds are directly related to the everyone else's speeds. If the combined total upload speed of the seeders (if the leechers aren't uploading) is the results you're getting, nothing is going to change that.

But now it's not the case because as soon as I switch back to Wi-Fi the same file that was previously downloading at~400kb/s goes up to 5-6mb/s so there's some technical issue here.

CPU i5-4460 @ 3.2 ghzMotherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7RAM 32gb Corsair Vengance 1600mhzGPU GTX-750 TICase Carbide 400R | SSD Plextor M8Pe(Y) 256gb NVME | SSHD Barracuda 1TB PSU CX430Display LG 29UM55-P Ultrawide | Keyboard Trust 3-way LEDMouse Razer Death Adder V2 Left Handed | Speakers Genius SW-HF 5.1 6000Headset Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO | Sound Card Xonar Essence STXIIOS Windows 8.1 x64 Professional, build 9600 | Theme(s) Windows 7, Vista & Aero from DeviantArt

Just now, KieuVanQuan said:

But now it's not the case because as soon as I switch back to Wi-Fi the same file that was previously downloading at~400kb/s goes up to 5-6mb/s so there's some technical issue here.

check your port forwarding settings in the router, you might have some settings for the IP address that was assigned to your wifi adapter, that since you are connected by Ethernet,, you will have a different internal IP

4 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

check your port forwarding settings in the router, you might have some settings for the IP address that was assigned to your wifi adapter, that since you are connected by Ethernet,, you will have a different internal IP

Yeah I changed it back now but it didn't solve my problem.

3 minutes ago, KieuVanQuan said:

Yeah I changed it back now but it didn't solve my problem.

as long as you have the same port forwarding settings, you should have the same experience

Just now, BubblyCharizard said:

as long as you have the same port forwarding settings, you should have the same experience

1 minute ago, KieuVanQuan said:

Try to allow some upload like 50 kb or 100 kb minimum. Sometimes you need to upload to get good download rates.

Also try the application DELUGE

Its way better than bittorrent or utorrent as it is a open source app

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Okay guys problem solved. I clicked on "update download speed" on the Killer Network driver and my speeds are awesome now. 16mb/s which I have never achieved before with Wi-Fi!

Edited by wkdpaul
screenshot removed

19 hours ago, KieuVanQuan said:

Okay guys problem solved. I clicked on "update download speed" on the Killer Network driver and my speeds are awesome now. 16mb/s which I have never achieved before with Wi-Fi!

good on you for fixing it, but from the screenshot you posted (now removed) you're using torrents for illegal purpose, which isn't allowed by the Community Standards, so this thread is now locked.

Talking about piracy in general, broad details, is acceptable however the posting or discussing pirated/hacked/cracked or otherwise nefariously obtained content is not. This includes Windows content, games, hackintosh, etc. Also discussions regarding ways to avoid or block legitimately installed monitoring/tracking software or the like is also not allowed.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !