I7 or I9?

Go to solution Solved by XYOUNEED,

Thank you all for sharing your opinions with me and others :) 

I'll go for the I9 7900X my wallet will scream at me for a few months but I know It'll be a great upgrade in the end.

This thing will be overclocked for sure, let's see where I can push it. 

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

At stock? Yes. If you overclock the 7900X you can hit 2700-2800cb, which is on par with a 4GHz 1920X

Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg

Read the thread

I did

1 minute ago, ThatTechKid said:

I did

Really? Then you clearly know this:

37 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Some of that stuff loves high single-threaded with others taking advantage of multi-threading.  Skylake-X would fill both needs nicely.  :D

Which is why the 1950X isn't a very good option for the OP.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Really? Then you clearly know this:

Which is why the 1950X isn't a very good option for the OP.

I quickly did research on single core scores. And the i9 is good for the OP.

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I did not know this at the time of my original post, which is why I asked if he was 100% sure more cores were what he needed.

@XYOUNEED sorry for clogging the thread but some people just can't resist the urge to insult others when they feel their purchase decision is being criticized.

I was prepared for this, np

It's not always bad to hear different opinions, that's why I am asking on a forum :) Despite, I am really interested in that specific mobo.

18 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Threadripper is not faster if you also need single core performance and as @done12many2 already said, some of the programs that @XYOUNEED uses are single threaded and some are multi threaded. The i9 strikes a good balance between single and multi core performance, so it's the best option IMO.

Leaning more towards the I9-7900X. I also think it is indeed a good balance right now.

4 minutes ago, ThatTechKid said:

Do the Ryzen Threadripper 1950X. It has a better price per performance ratio. And it is much, much faster. I know you won't get the motherboard you wanted in the first place, But there is lots of X399 Motherboards to look at. Good luck at your next computer!

Yeah, like I've said my interest go towards the rampage :) I've been using one for 4years now, I like the rampage extreme line up alot. So ryzen or threadripper are a no go for me neither am I interested in them right now.

The X Desk«BuildLog»

.:Custom Watercooled Desk - Gaming Cave:.

Feel free to take a look, I would highly appreciate it.

1 minute ago, ThatTechKid said:

I quickly did research on single core scores. And the i9 is good for the OP.

Bud, you just did something you rarely see around LTT.  You adjusted fire on the move.  Thanks for that. I'm beginning to have faith again! 

Just now, XYOUNEED said:

I was prepared for this, np

It's not always bad to hear different opinions, that's why I am asking on a forum :) Despite, I am really interested in that specific mobo.

Leaning more towards the I9-7900X. I also think it is indeed a good balance right now.

Yeah, like I've said my interest go towards the rampage :) I've been using one for 4years now, I like the rampage extreme line up alot. So ryzen or threadripper are a no go for me neither am I interested in them right now.

Ok. Fine with me. Then the i9 is a good option right now.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Bud, you just did something you rarely see around LTT.  You adjusted fire on the move.  Thanks for that. I'm beginning to have faith again! 

I've seen worse in my opinion this is some of the better community out there.

The X Desk«BuildLog»

Just now, XYOUNEED said:

I've seen worse in my opinion this is some of the better community out there.

I agree

I'll go for the I9 7900X my wallet will scream at me for a few months but I know It'll be a great upgrade in the end.

The X Desk«BuildLog»

Just now, XYOUNEED said:

Good luck with your build!

Here's some of my 3D work, it still needs many tweaks.

So I am happy to invest in some hardware to make the process way faster  :) 

I have a 3930K currently so it's going to be a big difference :P 

11357245_10205921902440551_4457068783720116062_o.jpg

11923287_10206508653868970_7198349371775563761_o.jpg

The X Desk«BuildLog»

1 hour ago, XYOUNEED said:

Good choice. You'll be happy! I'm happy with my 7820X as are many others. The performance is unparalleled core for core. I'm going to see reviews of the Apex and might join onboard pending reviews go well. The MSI Carbon is good but I've always eyed the Apex. ?

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM