Can I request for Linus to make a weird project?

kidlat020

It's about computer's waste heat. there's some science that can somehow prove that heat waste can be converted into other forms of energy. what I'm requesting for is for that waste heat to turn into a small light bulb. Hey who knows, maybe Nvidia could turn that heat into an actual source of energy for the RGB instead of getting that energy from the wall. or maybe an RGB radiator whose power source came from both cpu and gpu heat?

3 minutes ago, kidlat020 said:

Yes. Yes for RGB radiator.

I don't think RGB light strips use even that much power, especially in the really high end builds, could probably also drive the case fans off it too.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

Just now, Mike Soda said:

I don't think RGB light strips use even that much power

who said anything about using power *from the wall*?

Just now, kidlat020 said:

who said anything about using power *from the wall*?

Are you implying to have the whole PC powered off radiator heat?

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

2 minutes ago, Mike Soda said:

Are you implying to have the whole PC powered off radiator heat?

just the rgb.

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Linus is not a scientist or inventor.

for the sake of a video?

just the rgb.

Ah yeah I know but I was also adding that due to how much heat multiple large rads can generate, that it probably would be enough to power the case fans too. My only concern with any level of project like this would be the means, what sort of extra component would the PC case need to convert the heat into electricity & how big would it be? The fact it ain't been done yet to my knowledge means it probably can't be in a practical sense :|.

I'm in favour. Which admin do we tag for these

I dislike simultaneous releases

Just now, huilun02 said:

Why not tell Linus to make a cure for cancer for the sake of a video?

you lost me.

there's actual science behind converting waste heat into other form of energy. curing cancer? you're just throwing random arguments that doesn't fit into the topic at all.

also Linus hasn't done this yet.

5 minutes ago, kidlat020 said:

for the sake of a video?

Tell Linus to send out 500 Quadro M6000s to random people for a video.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

While we're on the subject of PC efficiency, here's something I just stumbled upon, just swap in LED for the bulb the guy used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiAhiu6UqXQ

Could actually be interesting, perhaps with the use of TEGs. @Slick@LinusTech

I'm really not sure why everyone else is so negative about it...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Could actually be interesting, perhaps with the use of TEGs. @Slick@LinusTech

I'm really not sure why everyone else is so negative about it...

maybe because some people just don't know how electricity is actually generated. all they know is "plug it in the wall and viola!"

maybe because some people just don't know how electricity is actually generated. all they know is "plug it in the wall and viola!"

Some people seem to have misinterpreted too. They think you're saying power a whole pc off a radiator's heat... you're saying just have rgb strips powered off radiator heat or something 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

At first I thought this was a really dumb idea.
But this might actually work. Someone build this, but use a PC component as a heat source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TuTGLS8nqI&ab_channel=JohnnyQ90

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

@kidlat020 The problem is there are not so many methods to convert heat to energy. The main method would be to generate steam which in term drives a generator turbine, but the amount of heat generated from computer parts is too small for that. Other methods, such as a peltier, are too inefficient in themselves - the amount of electricity produced would be negligible.

On top of that, you need a way to collect the heat energy while still keeping the CPU cool, which is a larger problem then it seems. Even if you found the perfect heat to other form of energy conversion device, you can't really force it to take up the heat faster then it naturally does, which might be too slow.

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

But they already made video like this...

That's just making a pc to heat something up.

Changing it into using that waste heat to generate some electricity that can, say, power case lighting or charge a phone or something would actually be interesting, imo. I might actually consider doing that. Because why not.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Unimportant said:

On top of that, you need a way to collect the heat energy while still keeping the CPU cool.

Use a TEG as a heatsink.

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

2 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

Other methods, such as a peltier, are too inefficient in themselves - the amount of electricity produced would be negligible.

and a LED bulb requires really low power.

On top of that, you need a way to collect the heat energy while still keeping the CPU cool.

pump the heat from the cpu and gpu to the radiator and work from there?

Just now, Gumi Rokkaku said:

Use a TEG as a heatsink.

That would be a peltier element, like I mentioned. The amount of electricity generated would be negligible. It also suffers from the second problem I mentioned - the peltier will drain heat from the CPU at a rate far too slow to keep it cool. 

3 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

On top of that, you need a way to collect the heat energy while still keeping the CPU cool

Use a TEG on top of the CPU cooler or something which would solve the hot side, use a heatsink or something on the cold side to generate electricity. Could put a few in series to get enough power.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler