AMD Radeon Software 17.8.2 improves PUBG performance on VEGA 64 and fixes important RX VEGA issues

AlTech

AMD has released their new 17.8.2 Radeon Software and a lot has changed. This is "tech news worthy" because bugs and issues that Tech Reviewers on YouTube talked about regarding VEGA are being fixed.

1. VEGA 64 performs UP TO 18% faster in Player Unknown's Battlegrounds *1

2. VEGA 64 performs UP TO 4% faster in F1 2017*1

3.  Radeon WattMan, AMD's power control and overclocking utility, should now reach applied overclock states on RX Vega cards

4. The “Reset” option in the Radeon Settings Gaming tab will always properly set HBCC to the default disabled state

5. AMD has fixed random corruption in Microsoft desktop productivity applications on RX Vega graphics

6. Fixing an issue where the display may go blank or black after upgrading or installing with RX Vega cards.

7. Eyefinity configurations can be properly created through the Eyefinity Advanced Setup option.

*1 - Compared to Radeon Software 17.8.1

This week, AMD has released Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.8.2, quickly following up on this Monday’s 17.8.1 release and the last Monday’s launch of Radeon RX Vega64. This quick update addresses some fairly important issues: several unresolved RX Vega bugs and new game driver support. Although it is focused on polishing RX Vega related matters, 17.8.2 is a unified driver like 17.8.1, and applies for both RX Vega-based cards and other products.

Featuring Driver Version 17.30.1071 (Windows Driver Store Version 22.19.673.0), Radeon Software 17.8.2 brings support for F1 2017, which launches the day after this driver release, as well as PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Early Access and the Destiny 2 Beta. The game support is largely focused on the Radeon RX Vega64, with AMD citing up to 4% performance improvement for F1 2017 and up to 18% performance improvement for PUBG compared to the previous 17.8.1.

Damn. VEGA had lots of bugs in the drivers but now a few important ones have been fixed as well as performance :). This is good start but AMD needs to enable ALL RX VEGA driver features and improve performance further.

Source:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11763/amd-releases-radeon-software-crimson-relive-edition-1782

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

18%!?  That's definitely a sign of ... something.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

IMO all benchmarks should be ignored until the launch kinks are worked out.  This seems to happen every time (though 18% IS a lot)

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

The game has been not running too well on AMD GPUs so idk but 18% is a big deal :).

I'm guessing the NCUs weren't being fully utilized.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Partly why I hate benchmarks, especially synthetic ones.

I wish reviewers would revisit cards after 1 month or 2  to see how they actually perform with a more mature driver

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Partly why I hate benchmarks, especially synthetic ones.

I find furmark fun (though I don't pay attention to score, just a great burn test) and Cinebench seems to give a reasonable comparison point between cpus.

Just now, tp95112 said:

I wish reviewers would revisit cards after 1 month or 2  to see how they actually perform with a more mature driver

or perhaps like 3-6 months after launch.

still running 16.12.2 lol

but i have an rx 480 card and i dont have pubg

hope @Being Delirious could solve one of those problems

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

still running 16.12.2 lol

but i have an rx 480 card and i dont have pubg

hope @Being Delirious could solve one of those problems

Why are you asking mee

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Being Delirious said:

Why are you asking mee

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

I heard steven bills saying that giving it more watts makes it faster.

The geek himself.

46 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

AMD finewine?!

... or day 1 drivers were just unoptimised for PUBG :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Does PUBG even run good on anything? I've seen people on 1070 going from 70 to 30 FPS. What I would like to see are numbers. That's like saying I'm getting 50% more FPS when in reality I went fron 10 to 15 FPS. AMD already this kind of thing before with games in 4K, saying how huge the benefits are when the difference was 3 FPS. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, Damascus said:

IMO all benchmarks should be ignored until the launch kinks are worked out.  This seems to happen every time (though 18% IS a lot)

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

The game has been not running too well on AMD GPUs so idk but 18% is a big deal :).

I'm guessing the NCUs weren't being fully utilized.

27 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

AMD finewine?!

Yeah, it is a lot, that's my point :P Makes me wonder about the quality of the drivers, or the game optimization, or (etc)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

28 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, it is a lot, that's my point :P Makes me wonder about the quality of the drivers, or the game optimization, or (etc)

sucks for steve at HWunboxed though, 1 day after he releases 32 game vega 56+64 comparisons and new drivers appear :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

3 hours ago, Damascus said:

Well, it's also PUBG, which is a UE game and not optimized at that. It's like "worst case scenario" for an AMD launch product.

3 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

AMD finewine?!

Both. 

RX Vega looks like its going to be the Title Holder for "FineWine" from AMD. From the more detailed analysis I've seen, practically none of the new tech is really turned on. Or working just enough to call it "on" but it's not really doing much.

I get the "why" from a technical standpoint, but it's rough for the end-user. AMD is clearly transitioning to a full Zen-like approach with Navi, but that's still two years out. Right now, RX Vega is a brilliant workstation/compute card that is trying to be forced to run games properly. It "works", but getting the same performance as an Nvidia product of the same price tier takes some work & it still uses a good chunk more power. Though even for Navi, I'm somewhat worried that the Infinity Fabric approach is just going to be "too wide", and there'll be no way for games to use all of the processing power.  We'll see.

For now, if the RX Vega 56 was at MSRP, that plus a good FreeSync monitor is still a good buy.  But, eh, even for AMD, Vega is definitely a rough patch.

I should note that it seems like some of the differential is also due to the very highest settings cratering the Vega uArch. Turning some of the AA settings down (or using different ones) can have some wildly different results for Vega. And properly for some stupid reason like 8x MSAA causes some bottleneck in Vega's pipeline. As I said, Vega is a rough patch for AMD.

5 hours ago, Damascus said:

I'm ok with ignoring all benchmarks if we also ignore (as in not buy) all cards on sale until all kinks are worked out. 

Sorry but no: AMD releases a broken product then a broken product with broken drivers get reviewed. Want better reviews? Fucking do better at launch.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

I'm ok with ignoring all benchmarks if we also ignore (as in not buy) all cards on sale until all kinks are worked out. 

Sorry but no: AMD releases a broken product then a broken product with broken drivers get reviewed. Want better reviews? Fucking do better at launch.

yup.... i almost shat myself laughing at how AMD had disabled all the architecture specific features of vega on launch. No primitive shaders, not even sure if it had tiling enabled.

If they ever want to compete with nvidia, they need to start making architectures that isnt just a joke...

Say what you want, but IMO, it is outrageous that 2x Hawaii XT is matching up to 2.5x generational improvement WITH a die shrink included. Just outrageous...

In comparison, Kepler which launched/was on sale simultaneously as Hawaii doesnt even hold half a match-stick to Pascal. it is soundly destroyed in every tier by a wide ass margin. Radeon, as a brand, has no future at this pace.

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

More or less yes.  I'm not talking about just AMD here though, this applies to X299, zen - whatever comes along that doesn't live up to expectations until a month+ after launchurch. 

I'm not saying "c'Mon guys, it's not amds fault!"  They done fucked up and this is what they get.

thats neat, there is more power in the silicon as usual with AMD GPUs lol. now if they would only unlock flashing...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Didn't understand the blind hate for vega. Yup, it's trash to buy now, but people who say it's a total flop didn't do their research. The specs of the 56 and the 64 (on paper) should smash their counterparts, it's a new architecture; wait for new drivers and the 64 will be beating the 1080 convincingly soon.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3