Finally Someone Decided To Do Something About Miners

So Inno3D has finally decided to do something about these damn miners who do nothing but waste power and stealing our gaming cards.

Inno3D's solution while it's not really going to change things, at least it's something. Maybe this is a wake up call for AMD and Nvidia to have drivers that detect when someone is mining on their cards and brick them instantly. Yeah I know it's way too much, but something has to be done about these miners. And yes obviously I know AMD and Nvidia only care about people buying their cards, not what people do with them. But once again I say, something has to be done about them.

From Hilbert:

Well, that was bound to happen. Inno3D is the first manufacturer to warn cryptocurrency coin-miners that they are possible voiding the warranty on their cards. See, graphics cards are not design to do full load 24/7/365, and that is exactly what miners are doing.

We're pretty sure that the RMA return rates have gone up ever since the mining hype started. Inno3D is the first to issue a warning. Thing is though, if a card breaks down after all that abuse, how would Inno3D ever figure out that it was used for mining?

It brings up the question, what is the lifespan of a graphics card with normal usage? I had this discussion once with folks from Nvidia, and in their believe with pretty hefty daily gaming that would average out roughly at 5 years. At one point the GPU will start leaking. If you place that 5 years into perspective compared to what miner are doing with them, I dunno maybe the cards are bound to die after a year or less? 

So, while this info is not listed at their website, a reddit user recently bought a (GTX1060 6GB Ichill x3 V2), Inno3D is adding a sticker onto that packaging that makes the message clear, as spotted on reddit. I can see other AIB partners following this protocol, I just cannot see how they would validate the fact the card was used for mining.

RLpq8Ec.png

Source: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/inno3d-warns-that-mining-can-break-warranty-on-their-gpus.html

3 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Maybe this is a wake up call for AMD and Nvidia to have drivers that detect when someone is mining on their cards and brick them instantly. Yeah I know it's way too much, but something has to be done about these miners. And yes obviously I know AMD and Nvidia only care about people buying their cards, not what people do with them. But once again I say, something has to be done about them.

It's really not that simple.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Tell the difference between mining, folding at home, and other applications. Then tell my why I should be punished for using a card I bought and should have software that can arbitrarily decide that I've done something a company doesn't like. Maybe the next step is they burn your System ID into the card and if you try to sell it then it won't work.

And this is why I couldn't care less about miners. You already dropped a shit ton on a GPU, what the fuck is it to ya if one wants to mine on it, do shit involving F@H, etc.?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Too little, too late.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Tell the difference between mining, folding at home, and other applications. Then tell my why I should be punished for using a card I bought and should have software that can arbitrarily decide that I've done something a company doesn't like. Maybe the next step is they burn your System ID into the card and if you try to sell it then it won't work.

I am sure that it involves asking the question during warranty replacement call: "What were you doing with the graphics card", and if caller says "mining", they get as a response: "Sorry, the warranty doesn't cover graphics cards used for mining. We suggest Quadro or Tesla cards, which are built for heavy stress under heavy load 24/7"

And why exactly should AMD and Nvidia tell a large majority of buyers/potential buyers to fuck off? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

i think its just more to discourage miners from buying the card, with out RMA the chance of a graphics card running until it breaks even goes down a little. ooorrr Inno3D is sick of taking the hit from all the RMA abuse from miners

i dont really see a way to tell if a gpu has been killed by mining, esspetially if its only like a 1-3 month warrenty

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

Honestly, the bitching coming from people whining about miners is even more annoying than the miners themselves.

It's like politics, only that I can't escape this bullshit easily.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyboyhogg said:

How would they prove a card has been used to mine, they could just use this as a excuse not to honor warranty 

At the end of the day they probably won't enforce this policy -- unless you blatantly say you mined on it. HDD manufacturers will tell you the same thing if you use a desktop drive in a server and admit to it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You know, Nvidia/AMD and graphics card manufacture can just all boost manufacturing allowing both gamer and miners to get their cards. Why would one say no to money?

Last time when there was the big bitcoin boom when it crashed amd ended up having to write down some money because of too much stock that can't sell.

Plus it's worth noting that it's possible that they're already at the absolute limits of how much stock can be made.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

At the end of the day they probably won't enforce this policy -- unless you blatantly say you mined on it. HDD manufacturers will tell you the same thing if you use a desktop drive in a server. 

Is any miner going to to tell them they used it to mine on, I know i wouldn't 

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You know, Nvidia/AMD and graphics card manufacture can just all boost manufacturing allowing both gamer and miners to get their cards. Why would one say no to money?

Not really, especially not AMD because HBM2 is really hard to get. If it was that simple don't you think they would be doing it?

They say "No" to money because AMD and NVidia would MUCH rather gamers buy their cards, who will review it, use them as intended, unintentionally advertise it (word of mouth) and for the most part, not rma it and cost partners money.

AMD and NVidia don't want miners buying these cards.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

This is a very close minded argument. I dont know why a group of individuals should be punished that hard for doing something they believe could make them money just because it makes it harder for us gamers to get a GTX1060 or RX 580. What they're doing is completely legal and there is no malicious intent to starve us of GPU's. It sucks but be an adult and 

Deal With It

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, pas008 said:

who cares what people do with their cards

its none of you fucking business

it literally is their business when miners are costing them tons because miners destroy the cards and then RMA it..

When you get a new car/bike, you aren't suppoused to throttle it as fast as it goes. So if I buy a brand new Veyron, throttle it (and therefore break the engine) and return it, and make Bugatti pay for a new car, that's "none of their business"? Ofcourse it is, they are a business and they are losing money to idiots using the cards outside the intended purposes. My dad's 15,000$ EACH amplifiers CAN be used to play my guitar out of through daisy chaining, however if I did this i'd likely blow the amp. So is it fair if I did that, knowing it would blow the amp, then returned it to Macintosh  andmade them pay for it? No, it's not.

Main Rig

It would probably be unenforceable short of the owner admitting it openly. How would they tell if you were mining as opposed to other intensive uses. My 1080Ti is pretty much at 95%+ core most of the time during gaming, and there are other compute uses that could hit it hard too.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, TVwazhere said:

This is a very close minded argument. I dont know why a group of individuals should be punished that hard for doing something they believe could make them money just because it makes it harder for us gamers to get a GTX1060 or RX 580. What they're doing is completely legal and there is no malicious intent to starve us of GPU's. It sucks but be an adult and 

Deal With It

It costs everyone money. It costs AMD/NVidia partners money (maybe amd/nvidia, not sure who pays for RMAs). It costs AMD and NVdia money. gives them bad rep and less advertising (miners aren't going to use the cards as a gamer would and unintentionally advertise it). It costs the consumer money because we then have to fork out double the price for a card, everyone loses but the miner. Why do you think these partners and AMD/NVidia are trying so hard to keep miners away? Don't you think if it wasn't a problem for them they wouldn't do anything?

As I mentioned above, sure, it's legal and they CAN use these cards to mine 24/7 with at full load, that's not how it's intended to be used. 

Main Rig

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Can they? Because they would have already. The only possible explanation is that they're happy with the underwhelming supply to create an elevated price and increase their margins but that would basically mean "Let's eat a mountain of negative PR for months for a very short term small increase in margins" it makes more sense that they just cannot produce chips fast enough.

Then again I have maintained that consumers don't need to use compute, at all. I know is controversial but they should kill compute at the bios levels and push miners to the workstation cards instead, they can deal with the price increase due to the other workstation features.

-------

Current Rig

-------

10 minutes ago, pas008 said:

who cares what people do with their cards

its none of you fucking business

First its inflating GPU prices for people who actually want to buy a GPU to game or for content creation.

Second is the cards are dying earlier than normal and increasing RMAs. Every RMA cost a company money then they have to increase cost to make up for it. 

This hurts everyone but the miners themselves. All this for fake currency that is wasting power

5 minutes ago, Armakar said:

It costs everyone money. It costs AMD/NVidia partners money (maybe amd/nvidia, not sure who pays for RMAs). It costs AMD and NVdia money. gives them bad rep and less advertising (miners aren't going to use the cards as a gamer would and unintentionally advertise it). It costs the consumer money because we then have to fork out double the price for a card, everyone loses but the miner. Why do you think these partners and AMD/NVidia are trying so hard to keep miners away? Don't you think if it wasn't a problem for them they wouldn't do anything?

As I mentioned above, sure, it's legal and they CAN use these cards to mine 24/7 with at full load, that's not how it's intended to be used. 

AMD is not trying to keep miners away: When faced with incredible supply problems, beyond those of a normal launch, they decided that mere days after releasing Vega they were gonna create a miner specific beta driver. AMD are LYING TO YOU when they tell you they want to curve miners, they couldn't be happier someone is buying their botched Vega chips at launch.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

Then who's the smart one here and who's the dumbass? 

Because mining is so intelligent? Are you implying the consumer is the dumbass? The only people who are powerless here is the consumer who needs graphics cards and has no alternatives. The dumbasses are partners not enforcing that miners shouldn't use these cards to mine.

Main Rig