My BIOS still register my RAM is 8GB not 16GB

Ryou-kun
Go to solution Solved by Ashley MLP Fangirl,
3 minutes ago, Ryou-kun said:

Nope. I don't see a setting for it. 

okay. try reseating it, but in a different slot configuration. so try slot 1 and 2, 1 and 3 etc. 

Hello LTT,

I need your help.

When I first upgrade my PC to AMD Ryzen and slap a good 16GB RAM that I found on sale. I thought I was set until my PC register the RAM is 7.95GB usable and my BIOS register it as 8GB RAM. I have no idea how to fix it and I assume it was due to the RAM not compatible. I also did replace my old Ryzen mobo because the Bios driver got corrupted while mid-updating.

I waited until I recently order a different 16GB RAM that is actually supported by my motherboard supplied vendor. When I pop the baby in, it still register the RAM as 8GB. I have tried to remove the CMOS battery and waited 5-10 mins before installing it back in. I update my latest BIOS driver. Nothing. Not sure what is going on. 

PC Specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.9 GHz

G.Skill TridenZ Series 16GB 3000 MHz (8GBx2) ----> Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200 MHz (8GBx2)

Corsair H100i v2

ASUS Prime B350-Plus ----> MSI x370 SLI Plus

GTX 670 ----> GTX 980 ti ACX

Corsair HX 750W

Thank you,

Can you take a look in CPU-Z or something in the OS and see what it says? Under the SPD tab?

Sig under construction.

Check that both sticks are in the proper slots and seated properly. Move them around until they work or you find which one doesn't work.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

16 minutes ago, Tedster said:

Can you take a look in CPU-Z or something in the OS and see what it says? Under the SPD tab?

10 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Check that both sticks are in the proper slots and seated properly. Move them around until they work or you find which one doesn't work.

I have check and make sure the RAM are seated properly.

I did swap the RAM around. 

11 minutes ago, Ryou-kun said:

That looks like 16 GB to me.  8 in each slot.  What does task manager say for available Ram?

What does CPUz show for slot #2?

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

18 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

check the memory tab in cpu-z. that should come up with the total ram. 

Memory Tab in CPU-Z said it is 16GB.

19 minutes ago, Ryou-kun said:

Memory Tab in CPU-Z said it is 16GB.

then it should be fine... what about task manager?

She/Her

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

then it should be fine... what about task manager?

7.9 GB. 

Just now, Ryou-kun said:

8 gb hardware reserved...wow...

is there a setting for reserving memory in the bios?

She/Her

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Hmm, I don't see anything about it. I will try again and see.

16 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Nope. I don't see a setting for it. 

23 hours ago, Ryou-kun said:

Hello LTT,

I need your help.

When I first upgrade my PC to AMD Ryzen and slap a good 16GB RAM that I found on sale. I thought I was set until my PC register the RAM is 7.95GB usable and my BIOS register it as 8GB RAM. I have no idea how to fix it and I assume it was due to the RAM not compatible. I also did replace my old Ryzen mobo because the Bios driver got corrupted while mid-updating.

I waited until I recently order a different 16GB RAM that is actually supported by my motherboard supplied vendor. When I pop the baby in, it still register the RAM as 8GB. I have tried to remove the CMOS battery and waited 5-10 mins before installing it back in. I update my latest BIOS driver. Nothing. Not sure what is going on. 

PC Specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.9 GHz

G.Skill TridenZ Series 16GB 3000 MHz (8GBx2) ----> Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200 MHz (8GBx2)

Corsair H100i v2

ASUS Prime B350-Plus ----> MSI x370 SLI Plus

GTX 670 ----> GTX 980 ti ACX

Corsair HX 750W

Thank you,

Remove one stick of ram, boot up then shut down and put the ram stick back in. Do this with all of your ram sticks. Let me know how it goes for you

1 minute ago, Intel HD Graphics said:

Remove one stick of ram, boot up then shut down and put the ram stick back in. Do this with all of your ram sticks. Let me know how it goes for you

If it's being recognised properly, which we've already determined with certainty, either the hardware isn't capable of working with it properly (which certainly wouldn't be the case on this sort of system), or the software is at fault, which what I've posted above seems to agree with.

Sig under construction.

On 8/24/2017 at 6:34 PM, firelighter487 said:

okay. try reseating it, but in a different slot configuration. so try slot 1 and 2, 1 and 3 etc. 

Sorry about taking a while. I felt a bit lazy for a day, lol. Now, I am back and actually did it.

I finally got it to work. Apparently, I have to put it in a Slot 1 and Slot 2 and it finally register as 16GB RAM! :D

I always thought to either place a RAM in either Slot 1 and 3 or Slot 2 and Slot 4. 

I guess it is case close then. Thanks for the help along with everyone. 

I was very close to formatting my PC, lol. 

Sadly, I have tried doing my G.Skill RAM, and it doesn't work like it won't even boot up the Bios. PC turns on but the RAM prevents it from doing anything else beside turning on the PC. If only the G.Skill RAM work, I would've return the Corsair LPX and get my money back. 

I guess I could either return the G.Skill RAM for RMA and either sell it or keep it for the next future build that I believe either my dad or my little bro are planning to upgrade ...