LTT Forums Long Load Times

Katsunaka

Ive noticed this both on mobile and at home. 

Mobile - 

LG V20 using Chrome

On Sprint with full 4G LTE signal

Desktop

Chrome on Windows 10. On ethernet

Both are using the latest updates.

Phone has latest updates applied to all apps. 

Takes upwards of 5-10 mins to load main page, then another 3 to 5 for notifications. 

Ive given up on trying to load a floatplane video because Im having a hard enough time loading text. 

Using the dark theme both mobile and at home. 

Only does it on this particular site, other sites load normally without any issue. 

Also, semi related. When I finally do load up, my notifications and side bar on mobile are in chinese or Japanese. Then it reloads and its back to correct english. 

Im guessing it's floatplane related. Havent had this issue before and now its getting old. To be on dial up for 1 page and broadband on every other.

Your internet speed matters too 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

9 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

Ive noticed this both on mobile and at home. 

Mobile - 

LG V20 using Chrome

On Sprint with full 4G LTE signal

Desktop

Chrome on Windows 10. On ethernet

Both are using the latest updates.

Phone has latest updates applied to all apps. 

Takes upwards of 5-10 mins to load main page, then another 3 to 5 for notifications. 

Ive given up on trying to load a floatplane video because Im having a hard enough time loading text. 

Using the dark theme both mobile and at home. 

Only does it on this particular site, other sites load normally without any issue. 

Also, semi related. When I finally do load up, my notifications and side bar on mobile are in chinese or Japanese. Then it reloads and its back to correct english. 

Im guessing it's floatplane related. Havent had this issue before and now its getting old. To be on dial up for 1 page and broadband on every other.

Actually I've noticed slow load times on the forums often lately on multiple wired computers over  a solid 100mb connection across multiple browsers.

I also notice some slow load times for Float plane club videos but I just assumed that was do to a higher user base maybe.

It's really fast for me when I share a 200/15  connection with 3 people

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Not seen loading issues lately. Only when I have high CPU/RAM usage on desktop when UI bugs for a sec.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

No issues here, forums or video. Windows 8, Chrome, just for reference. I wonder what's up. It is definitely strange that it seems to only be on here.

Hmm. No problems here with Chrome on Windows 10...

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

No issues here on mobile (same phone but Verizon) as well as desktop.

Location and are you using a VPN at all? The language change makes me think your traffic is taking unnecessarily long routes through east asia.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 hours ago, Katsunaka said:

Floatplane shouldn't have anything to do with it - it's hosted on completely different infrastructure, though the video may not play if you're having trouble connecting to the forum because it does make a forum auth call.

Can you post the output of https://linustechtips.com/cdn-cgi/trace (you can redact parts if you want)? A couple of other people have reported having a slow connection today (though not that slow), but it is only a couple of people.

HTTP/2 203

5 hours ago, Katsunaka said:

-snip-

happens to me too, desktop only. Chrome using Ethernet, Windows 10.

It only happens sometimes, I can fix it by locking Windows and refreshing 

10 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Floatplane shouldn't have anything to do with it - it's hosted on completely different infrastructure, though the video may not play if you're having trouble connecting to the forum because it does make a forum auth call.

Can you post the output of https://linustechtips.com/cdn-cgi/trace (you can redact parts if you want)? A couple of other people have reported having a slow connection today (though not that slow), but it is only a couple of people.

fl=14f52

h=linustechtips.com

ip=you can see this already

ts=1503621147.806 visit_scheme=https uag=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.101 Safari/537.36

colo=ORD

spdy=h2

http=h2

loc=CA

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

12 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Heres mobile

fl=14f116 h=linustechtips.com ip=2600:1:91c0:78a0:8618:234b:8673:8eaa ts=1503621336.273 visit_scheme=https uag=Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 7.0; LG-LS997 Build/NRD90M) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.107 Mobile Safari/537.36 colo=ORD spdy=h2 http=h2 loc=US

Ill do it once i get home again. 

It seemed to load that pretty quick. 

8 hours ago, Katsunaka said:

Can you do a Speedtest or better yet go to fast.com by Netflix. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Can you post the output of https://linustechtips.com/cdn-cgi/trace (you can redact parts if you want)

What does it mean?

fl=35f62
h=linustechtips.com
ip=
ts=1503632000.386
visit_scheme=https
uag=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.101 Safari/537.36
colo=SIN
spdy=h2
http=h2
loc=

I mean my load time is slow, but that is because I have a craptop (atom N270, the best CPU) which is "wifi certified" in theory, I have agood internet connection at home and it's slow on it as well, but the issue here is my craptop, as when I use my laptop (i7 3612QM) I have no issues, so yea it's just cause either your interwebs is slow or like me you have a craptop, or like me at the moment both (I'm on public transport)

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

5 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

What does it mean?

fl=35f62
h=linustechtips.com
ip=
ts=1503632000.386
visit_scheme=https
uag=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.101 Safari/537.36
colo=SIN
spdy=h2
http=h2
loc=

Is it slow for you? Everyone else who has been experiencing slow load times has been connected to the Chicago datacenter (even though it doesn't appear to be the closest DC for them to connect to),  but you appear to be connected to the Singapore one.

HTTP/2 203

3 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Is it slow for you? Everyone else who has been experiencing slow load times has been connected to the Chicago datacenter (even though it doesn't appear to be the closest DC for them to connect to),  but you appear to be connected to the Singapore one.

I'm connected to Seattle and the load times are slower than ever, still fast though

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I was able to reproduce this by connecting to a VPN to Chicago, but as soon as I opened the tools to try and debug the source of the issue it started working properly again. My guess is that it's some sort of problem between Cloudflare and the forum, because other CF sites seem to be working correctly (as do users connected to other cloudflare nodes), though it could also be a problem with a specific part of Cloudflare's infrastructure. Unfortunately, that means that even if I'm able to identify the root source of the issue, there's nothing I can do to resolve it except maybe open a support ticket.

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

Sometimes it's a little bit slow but it's definitely not 3G like slow. What does those error messages mean? 

@colonel_mortis on mobile without a VPN, using Google DNS. Is this still slow? I have 20 down 20 up FTTH connection 

fl=35f52
h=linustechtips.com
ip= 
ts=1503656274.213
visit_scheme=https
uag=Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 10_3_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/603.3.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0 Mobile/14G60 Safari/602.1
colo=SIN
spdy=h2
http=h2
loc=PH

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

@colonel_mortis on mobile without a VPN, using Google DNS. Is this still slow? I have 20 down 20 up FTTH connection 

fl=35f52
h=linustechtips.com
ip= 
ts=1503656274.213
visit_scheme=https
uag=Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 10_3_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/603.3.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0 Mobile/14G60 Safari/602.1
colo=SIN
spdy=h2
http=h2
loc=PH

The trace output doesn't tell me whether it's slow, it just has diagnostic data, such as the datacenter that you're connected to. Does ltt take noticeably longer than other sites to load?

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

The trace output doesn't tell me whether it's slow, it just has diagnostic data, such as the datacenter that you're connected to. Does ltt take noticeably longer than other sites to load?

At the moment it's fast. But sometimes during morning here (usually 10-11 PM GMT) it's slow. 

Edited by hey_yo_

2 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

At the moment it's fast. But sometimes during morning here (usually 10-11 PM GMT) it's slow. 

How slow are you talking about? The issue being reported in this topic is of the order of minutes to load each page - is that also the case for you, or is it just couple of seconds slower (not that it's fine to be a couple of seconds slower, but it's not a critical issue)?

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

How slow are you talking about? The issue being reported in this topic is of the order of minutes to load each page - is that also the case for you, or is it just couple of seconds slower (not that it's fine to be a couple of seconds slower, but it's not a critical issue)?

Just a couple seconds slower. It's not as slow as OP. 

for the past couple weeks floatplane club videos have been loading quite slowly for me as well (480p). when I download them, a 60mb video can take half an hour to an hour. download speeds on my most recent runs started out at what seemed like max speed, but then dropped down to 500kbps and would drop down to one or two for a few seconds, in recurring pulses. I'm on a 25/5 satellite connection, and can stream 1080p30 on youtube just fine. just now tried to download four videos; two videos failed to download with a network error, and two were corrupted and unopenable. netflix's fast.com is giving me a 10mbps down (likely because the ~1sec latency seems to really mess up speedtests), google's speedtest is giving me 28.10/3.32, and speedtest.net is giving me 21.10/2.62. I'm using chrome on a mac; safari gives me the similar results, as does chromium on arch linux using a wired 100FDX connection on the same network. the forum seems about normal in terms of load speed, maybe just a tad slow. here's my debug output; if there's any other info that may help I'd be happy to provide it.

EDIT: on this video, it slows/stops at EXACTLY 9.7mb every time. I will file a bug report, since I just noticed that link.

fl=15f84
h=linustechtips.com
ip=
ts=1503680725.915
visit_scheme=https
uag=Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.90 Safari/537.36
colo=DFW
spdy=h2
http=h2
loc=US

Edited by crystalclaw
more information