How to make an Intake mod look good?

wdodge0912

So when I built my current rig, I bought a DIYPC J180-BL case, which was about a year ago. Since having this case, I have realized that the intake is very restricted, with the small side vents not really pulling in air, and most of the intake air comes from the opening on the bottom of the front panel.

I'd like to modify this case with an intake that's better than what it has.  I have the tools to do it, but I don't know how to make it look good. I mean i could just drill some holes or cut out a chunk, but I want to make it look good too. I am going to enlarge the current intake hole on the bottom, but I would like to open it up some more in the front. i'm also gonna look around to see if i still have the extra slot cover from installing the disc drive, maybe that could help with something

Anyways, does anyone have a suggestion to improve the airflow and make it look good?

What about cutting out a logo in the front panel? Something you like, after u cut it out maybe a ltitle sandpaper to make the edges round and going inside, finish with either a filter glued from behind the panel or steel mesh. Afterwards take some colored tape/paint and make ouline the logo.

I think that might look nice and even open your case for better airflow ;) 

2017-08-24 08_37_27-DIYPC J180-BL Black Dual USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case with Build-i.png

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

13 hours ago, bughtoo said:

What about cutting out a logo in the front panel? Something you like, after u cut it out maybe a ltitle sandpaper to make the edges round and going inside, finish with either a filter glued from behind the panel or steel mesh. Afterwards take some colored tape/paint and make ouline the logo.

I think that might look nice and even open your case for better airflow ;) 

2017-08-24 08_37_27-DIYPC J180-BL Black Dual USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case with Build-i.png

what if I cut the whole thing out (leave some edges, but open it up) and do what you were saying with the steel mesh, and then just buy a badge or something. 

I see what your saying. I might make it easier on myself by cutting the whole front own and use a fine steel mesh to cover it back up. then just but something that I can attach to the steel mesh.

I should probably replace my green fans with red ones, and paint the little side vents red as well, since the light on the motherboard are red too.

I could at that point get some things 3d printed and make them magnetic or something, so they sick to the front, and have swappable logos.

Cutting a hole isn't a difficult task.  Getting a hole that looks good is a another story.  I like using a router and jigs to get good straight cuts, dremel works too but will require a steady hand and some finish work.  You can find rubber stripping to line your edge with in the event you have a less than perfect cut.  I would practice on something you don't care about once or twice before going for it.