360mm radiator thoughts

Go to solution Solved by Leonard,
7 hours ago, Mr Mindstorms said:

So I've decided to upgrade my cooling to a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360, (currently I have the maelstrom 120k aio liquid cooler). But my problem is with my case... Currently I own the Thermaltake view 27 and the only place to mount it is on the front, after reading some forums I found it may not be the best idea to mount it there as I'll draw hot air into the case. So what is everyone's thoughts on this? I've got an i5 7600k with a gigabyte gtx 1070 in standard configuration (facing down).

Thanks in advance

-Mr Mindstorms

Firstly, when you are copy and pasting text just right click the place you plan to paste it and select paste as plain text to avoid formatting. Night viewers see your text as black.

Secondly, the front radiator will PUSH hot air into the case after pulling cool air from outside, this is true but you can also use a high static pressure fan as just normal exhaust case fan in the back to help you defeat this issue. Now you might be able to mount the radiator outside if you are really worried about the heat but just mounting the radiator to the back via the one fan mount and the fans to the radiator then taking off the PCI- e brackets and sliding the block in and if it has enough free tube mount it to the MOBO.

So I've decided to upgrade my cooling to a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360, (currently I have the maelstrom 120k aio liquid cooler). But my problem is with my case... Currently I own the Thermaltake view 27 and the only place to mount it is on the front, after reading some forums I found it may not be the best idea to mount it there as I'll draw hot air into the case. So what is everyone's thoughts on this? I've got an i5 7600k with a gigabyte gtx 1070 in standard configuration (facing down).

Thanks in advance

-Mr Mindstorms

Not much you can do with a 360 rad in that case. You're trading GPU temps for CPU temps.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Roughly what temps are we talking here for the GPU though (let's just assume cpu is on 100%).

I would stick with your current cooler, unless your getting poor tempratures and your not overclocking youll be fine

- SSUPD Meshlicous - Z170I - i7-6700K - Gigabyte 2080 - 16GB Corsair Vengance - 850 EVO 1TB - H115i ICUE Link- SF600

4 minutes ago, Mr Mindstorms said:

Roughly what temps are we talking here for the GPU though (let's just assume cpu is on 100%).

1. Quote me if you are replying to me. You're lucky I saw your reply.

2. No clue, and there's no real way to know without knowing exact overclocks/configs of everything and actually trying it.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

6 minutes ago, Mr Mindstorms said:

Also, what are your goals/reasons for getting a 360 rad?

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

6 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Also, what are your goals/reasons for getting a 360 rad?

I've overclocked the 7600k to 4.8 ghz, so at the moment I'm sitting at about 40-45C idle and about 70-75C when playing games. So although I don't necessarily NEED the 360, it would help. Also RGB...

(Also Australia is going into summer soon and room temps are gonna get really hot)

Just now, Mr Mindstorms said:

I've overclocked the 7600k to 4.8 ghz, so at the moment I'm sitting at about 40-45C idle and about 70-75C when playing games. So although I don't necessarily NEED the 360, it would help. Also RGB...

(Also Australia is going into summer soon and room temps are gonna get really hot)

Ah, kabylake. If you seriously want to push that overclock, you're going to need to delid. What is your GPU sitting at during use?

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

15 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Ah, kabylake. If you seriously want to push that overclock, you're going to need to delid. What is your GPU sitting at during use?

Can't quite remember at the moment. Will check when I get home from school. But I believe I'm sitting at around 60-65 when in use and about 45 at idle. Again, these change drastically in the summer.

7 hours ago, Mr Mindstorms said:

Thanks in advance

-Mr Mindstorms

Firstly, when you are copy and pasting text just right click the place you plan to paste it and select paste as plain text to avoid formatting. Night viewers see your text as black.

Secondly, the front radiator will PUSH hot air into the case after pulling cool air from outside, this is true but you can also use a high static pressure fan as just normal exhaust case fan in the back to help you defeat this issue. Now you might be able to mount the radiator outside if you are really worried about the heat but just mounting the radiator to the back via the one fan mount and the fans to the radiator then taking off the PCI- e brackets and sliding the block in and if it has enough free tube mount it to the MOBO.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.