Dell S2716DG vs AOC AG271QG

leet4leet

Hello everyone!

I ask for help in choosing a monitor with good colors, with the very minimum delays, input lags, good response time that is only possible, as well as for a competitive/fast-paced games (QC, UT,CSGO etc). Given the above criteria, my choice fell on Dell S2716DG and AOC AG271QG. From what I've heard, Dell is a good enough monitor, but I do not like the standard gamma 1.9 and the lack of settings in the OSD. Also, many ppl complain about problems with the coverage of the display itself and the inversion of pixels. But this is a monitor with a TN panel (should be the fastest panel of those that is). At the same time, the AOC has an IPS panel, and the response time, input lag, delays should be slightly higher than that of the TN panels. Who can tell me what the delays, input lags, response time (feels some delay in fast action) is with this monitor? How much blurry it is? There be no problems while play some fast games like Quake for example? I'm not really worried about 150% percent color reproduction, I do not do video / photo editing, but sometimes I'd like to watch movies with decent colors. Thanks!

Sorry for my Englando xD

I have the AOC. No issue with input lag and no issue with motion blur if you set Overdrive in the OSD menu to high.

49 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I have the AOC. No issue with input lag and no issue with motion blur if you set Overdrive in the OSD menu to high.

do you have AG271Qor X ?

15 minutes ago, leet4leet said:

do you have AG271Qor X ?

I have AG271QG (G-Sync IPS)

The X is Free Sync and TN

12 minutes ago, WereCat said:

AG271QG (G-Sync)

This monitor has an IPS panel. It is exactly slower than the TN panel (at least on paper). Have you tried playing some fast enough shooters? (UT, Quake)? You can sense any delay between your actions and what the monitor displays. Or maybe some kind of color distortions/blur while you flickering your mouse? 

Thanks

7 minutes ago, leet4leet said:

This monitor has an IPS panel. It is exactly slower than the TN panel (at least on paper). Have you tried playing some fast enough shooters? (UT, Quake)? You can sense any delay between your actions and what the monitor displays. Or maybe some kind of color distortions/blur while you flickering your mouse? 

Thanks

I play a lot of fast paced games like Doom, Quake, etc... the monitor is perfectly fine for that. The response time is just a marketing number as it is Gray to Gray response time which is pretty much meaningless for games.

18 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I play a lot of fast paced games like Doom, Quake, etc... the monitor is perfectly fine for that. The response time is just a marketing number as it is Gray to Gray response time which is pretty much meaningless for games.

Just want to make sure that the AOC I will not have any disappointments about the quality of the picture and any delays/input lags/blur while flickering in fast action, and so on. Most of the time I play Quake and CSGO, and of course I would like the monitor to work as it should for such money. Thanks for your replys anyway!

Last question is whats Overdrive function doin? Pushing panel to 165hz or what? How it works?

22 minutes ago, leet4leet said:

Just want to make sure that the AOC I will not have any disappointments about the quality of the picture and any delays/input lags/blur while flickering in fast action, and so on. Most of the time I play Quake and CSGO, and of course I would like the monitor to work as it should for such money. Thanks for your replys anyway!

Last question is whats Overdrive function doin? Pushing panel to 165hz or what? How it works?

I am running Overdrive on High with G-Sync enabled on 165Hz without any issues.

I know that on some monitors the Overdrive can cause weird artifacting when set too high (like on my other EIZO monitor) but it works great on my AOC.

I can't tell if that is guaranteed for all of the AG271QG or not...

Overdrive on Medium is still fine but you can definitely see some motion blur, nothing terrible though. That said,  the jump to High Overdrive from Medium is quite apparent.

Absolutely no issues with input lag.

4 hours ago, WereCat said:

I am running Overdrive on High with G-Sync enabled on 165Hz without any issues.

I know that on some monitors the Overdrive can cause weird artifacting when set too high (like on my other EIZO monitor) but it works great on my AOC.

I can't tell if that is guaranteed for all of the AG271QG or not...

Overdrive on Medium is still fine but you can definitely see some motion blur, nothing terrible though. That said,  the jump to High Overdrive from Medium is quite apparent.

Absolutely no issues with input lag.

Seems like i will buy AOC. Thank you very much!

I've got the Dell, found it on sale for $400 so I caved in. It's got some real bad color banding issues so watching content may be an issue. 

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.