Sims 4

NerdRage712237

Okay so I'm looking for a cheap af ($40 most) GPU that'll run the Sims 4 for my sister. She doesn't know crap about PC's and she insisted that she'll only pay up to $40. I've looked around and couldn't find a good one...to my liking anyways. If y'all could help a brother out, I'd be forever in your debt mates.

Thanks in advance

before i think of an answer, what's the rest of your sister's setup?

The sims 4 runs on basically a potato GPU, it's mainly the HDD (tbh SSD is heavily recommended for sims) and the cpu that matters.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

The sims 4 runs on basically a potato GPU, it's mainly the HDD (tbh SSD is heavily recommended for sims) and the cpu that matters.

are you saying this because it has sims in the title, or have actually tried this?

seeing GPU usage on my GTX970 i'd doubt "a potato" would run it.. defenately dont need a 970 (defenately not as much of an optimization joke as sims3) but i wouldnt slot it into potato terretory.

Just now, manikyath said:

are you saying this because it has sims in the title, or have actually tried this?

seeing GPU usage on my GTX970 i'd doubt "a potato" would run it.. defenately dont need a 970 (defenately not as much of an optimization joke as sims3) but i wouldnt slot it into potato terretory.

I play sims 4 from time to time. I wasted a LOT of time trying to figure out how to get more performance out of sims 3 and 4.

Thing is, if you only want to spend 40 bucks on a gpu and the system is balanced, it will bump into a bottleneck way before the GPU will be the bottleneck.

I mean there's no point in investing in a GPU if the HDD or CPU can't keep up and deliver a smooth experience regardless what the GPU is.

And it also depends how many expansions are installed and how many mods there are.

About a year ago i was sick of sims 3 stuttering all the time, so i took an SSD, fresh windows install and installed the sims 3 with every single expansion on the SSD, no mods.

Thing kept stuttering and loading constantly, it just wasn't smooth. The damn thing couldn't kept everything loaded into RAM and even tho it had more than enough GPU, CPU and RAM, it was a horrible experience. The only solution (i think, i didn't test this tho) is to take the complete sims 3 install with all the expansions and whack it into a RAMdisk which is almost impossible because the game is massive...

If you add enough mods to sims 4 you can basically forcing it to similar behavior, afaik the sims 4 uses a modified version of the glassbox engine from simcity which is a modified version of the sims 3 engine which is a modified version of the spore engine. I mean the way you can tweak your roof for example looks really similar to the stuff that's in spore, same goes for customizing the body of your sims.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Gtx 660? I think I got lucky finding one as cheap as I did since most people say around 50-60 dollars. Idk any other cards. I actually have a thread, lemme pull it up for you.