What's the HZ in a monitor?

DarkMesa

Yes it's a Noob questions but now I'm wondering what's HZ in a monitor? Is it refresh rate? I thought of that but noticed that some screens have 120Hz, which would mean that for a proper experience the content on the screen should be running at 120 FPS, which would be useless since as far as I know we can't see more than 60 Frames per Second. If I'm right, why are there 120Hz monitors on the market?

Edit: In my life I've never seen an higher refresh rate monitor than 60Hz

Edited by DarkMesa

Its the refresh rate yes.

Eyes can see more than 60fps lol, dont think the exact number as known though as obviously people's eyesight will make it differ.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

These questions are easily googled. Tech Quickie has a video of this

Humans aren't computers, it would be like saying the human eye can only see 4k, our vision can't be measured with computer standards.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

The human eye can only comprehend 3.75GB of RAM so why use more?

/s

That myth is just a bunch of crap, people can see infinite frames per second but the perceived difference is harder to see above a certain point.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

There are limits to human visual acuity and motion perception, but a test of X FPS with evenly spaced frames (noninteractive) is measuring something very different from having a X Hz vs. Y Hz monitor particularly if the display is sample-and-hold (i.e. more or less staticly holding the image between refreshes, which is how all the common 60 Hz LCD screens work; having some strobing is a relatively rare feature and usually only available on the high-refresh-rate displays). It also depends on the nature of the motion, speed, etc.

If you're looking at running games, which is an interactive experience (so responsiveness makes a difference) that furthermore potentially can have a wide range of potential motion, all delivered at inconsistent intervals, you end up with different amounts of screen tearing and delay depending on where rendered frames fall relative to monitor refreshes. Or ideally no tearing and less delay for complete frames with a variable refresh setup (G-Sync, FreeSync). More frequent monitor refreshes would change how things look even if the average FPS is not much different from 60 Hz (or even below). Then when it comes to higher refresh rates being displayed, on a sample-and-hold display you get higher visual clarity—less perceptual blurring of things in motion as your eye tracks them, given that your eyes will move with the trajectory in a continuous fashion and not teleport in discrete chunks every 1/60th of a second to the new position.

So clearly there are benefits. They just may not be big enough to matter to you, depending on your expectations and the content. It really depends.

12 hours ago, DarkMesa said:

Yes it's a Noob questions but now I'm wondering what's HZ in a monitor? Is it refresh rate? I thought of that but noticed that some screens have 120Hz, which would mean that for a proper experience the content on the screen should be running at 120 FPS, which would be useless since as far as I know we can't see more than 60 Frames per Second. If I'm right, why are there 120Hz monitors on the market?

Edit: In my life I've never seen an higher refresh rate monitor than 60Hz

Frame rates a sec. u can find higher frame rate monitors but they cost more due to harder to implement that tech into a monitor of that calibre

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

Technically first player shooter games will benefit from high frames/sec monitors due to the constant twitching and switching of positions the faster refresh/frame rate aids in a smoother gameplay

while as moba or rts games dont necessarily need that kind of performance calibre so 60hz shud suffice in those usually.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

9 hours ago, xsimplyjosh said:

Technically first player shooter games will benefit from high frames/sec monitors due to the constant twitching and switching of positions the faster refresh/frame rate aids in a smoother gameplay

while as moba or rts games dont necessarily need that kind of performance calibre so 60hz shud suffice in those usually.

"Firs player shooter games"? xD

22 hours ago, DarkMesa said:

"Firs player shooter games"? xD

person, player... very identical imo not sure why you want to point that out.

---

17 hours ago, xsimplyjosh said:

person, player... very identical imo not sure why you want to point that out.

I was wondering if it was a Joke replacing "Person" with "Player"