144hz monitor, buy now or wait?

lazanton

Hi there! I am new to the forum but i am a huge fan of LTT for quite some time now!

Since you have a better perspective of the market I want to ask a question:

I own an i7 7700k 16gb ram (lpx vengeance) and a 1080gtx.

I want to buy a monitor for casual fps gaming (and watching movies obviously).

Since i read the "once you go 144hz you never go back to 60"  i am triggered to buy a good 1440p monitor.

I would go for 4k but the options are limited and of course my budget is arround 300-400euros. 

Anyways my pc would never pull a 4k 144hz gaming experience so 4k is out of the picture.

So I limited my options to 1440p 144hz but right now there is a lot of "gambling" in order to get a good panel for budget options and the rest are ridiculously expensive!

So here comes my question, should I buy something that fits me and it is available right now or wait the next couple of months because there should be new models coming out??

Thanks in advance for the help! 

It is true once you have a 144hz monitor its impossible to go back. I have a 4k monitor sitting next to a 1440p 165hz monitor, and I only use the 4k monitor when I am playing games where I don't care as much as about getting above 60 FPS (Skyrim or fallout 4 for example).

Your 1080 wouldn't be able get above 60 fps in most titles at 4k anyways without dropping certain settings. So if you want a monitor right now get a good 144hz IPS panel monitor for 1080p. If you can find one for 1440p its worth it, but at your budget I don't think there is anything that would be in that range, at least as far as being IPS which makes a huge difference.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

7 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

It is true once you have a 144hz monitor its impossible to go back. I have a 4k monitor sitting next to a 1440p 165hz monitor, and I only use the 4k monitor when I am playing games where I don't care as much as about getting above 60 FPS (Skyrim or fallout 4 for example).

Your 1080 wouldn't be able get above 60 fps in most titles at 4k anyways without dropping certain settings. So if you want a monitor right now get a good 144hz IPS panel monitor for 1080p. If you can find one for 1440p its worth it, but at your budget I don't think there is anything that would be in that range, at least as far as being IPS which makes a huge difference.

I bought asus pg27aq 4k 60hz ips monitor one year ago with my gaming rig with sli 1080. Monitor is expensive but its one of the best. Its not the same for monitors as for pc components, monitors dont get new technologies as fast, so i would suggest you to get a good one, cause you wont be changing it for a long while, of course if you dont want to spend a lot of money in the long  run buying a crappy one now and upgrading later. I just bought 2 asus pg279q's for 700euros each, they are 165hz wqhd, fantastic monitors, would suggest them over the 4k one for sure, at high fps i think g-sync is a must, for every game if your card cant push above the monitors hz. As for 4k even my sli setup struggles to get 60hz for some very unoptimized games.

28 minutes ago, lazanton said:

Hi there! I am new to the forum but i am a huge fan of LTT for quite some time now!

Since i read the "once you go 144hz you never go back to 60"  i am triggered to buy a good 1440p monitor.

I would go for 4k but the options are limited and of course my budget is arround 300-400euros. 

Anyways my pc would never pull a 4k 144hz gaming experience so 4k is out of the picture.

So I limited my options to 1440p 144hz but right now there is a lot of "gambling" in order to get a good panel for budget options and the rest are ridiculously expensive!

So here comes my question, should I buy something that fits me and it is available right now or wait the next couple of months because there should be new models coming out??

Was for this guy :D

30 minutes ago, lazanton said:

You can check the upcoming models for asus and maybe some other brands, but well, they are gonna be hella expensive and i havent seen monitors drop price, maybe they will but im not sure if you should wait tho, i live in europe so im not sure what its like in other countrys/continents for monitors.

Thank you all for your replies! 

I see that you are against waiting and that was what i wanted to examin! Because i cannot follow the market like most of you do and in my opinion waiting makes you sick in a lot of ways! I don't care if my budget goes to 600€ if i find something worth it. I am a bit scard from ppl saying that nowadays getting a pixel perfect panel is a lottery!

So if it comes to right now what would be a good choice?

oh! Did i mention that i want a 27" monitor? ?

You won't find a cheap 144hz 1440p anyway, i went for a 3440x1440p @100hz and love it, there is the x35 or is it z35 which runs ultrawide 3440x1080p up to 200hz but not sure of the prices for them, top end 1440p ultrawides are really expensive I got my new one today and love it :)

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

3 minutes ago, lazanton said:

Thank you all for your replies! 

I see that you are against waiting and that was what i wanted to examin! Because i cannot follow the market like most of you do and in my opinion waiting makes you sick in a lot of ways! I don't care if my budget goes to 600€ if i find something worth it. I am a bit scard from ppl saying that nowadays getting a pixel perfect panel is a lottery!

So if it comes to right now what would be a good choice?

oh! Did i mention that i want a 27" monitor? ?

So check out the asus pg279q on amazon its price is at 800 euros, i got mines for 700 each, i bought 2 of them, its possible to find them at 600, although very rare, they were sold out where i life. I mean this is the best of the best, i think.

5 minutes ago, Brett_Bst said:

You won't find a cheap 144hz 1440p anyway, i went for a 3440x1440p @100hz and love it, there is the x35 or is it z35 which runs ultrawide 3440x1080p up to 200hz but not sure of the prices for them, top end 1440p ultrawides are really expensive I got my new one today and love it :)

They arent out yet, i was watching them, asus is going to release their 4k 144hz at the end of this year, but i bet its gonna cost a pretty penny.

3 minutes ago, Edward768 said:

They arent out yet, i was watching them, asus is going to release their 4k 144hz at the end of this year, but i bet its gonna cost a pretty penny.

Yes I think they will hit the 1500+ price range which is crazy 

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

So I have come to this, I am between:

Acer XG270HU

ASUS MG279Q

AOC AG271QX

and 

Acer XF270HUA

I am leaning towards the XF270HUA 

because all the reviews form customers and experts are saying that is an amazing monitor

with minor risk on getting a bad panel and great overal specs!!

What is your opinion??