Verizon feels that phones only need 720p video

WMGroomAK

Verizon has updated their "Unlimited" mobile data plans to throttle what you can stream videos at starting on 8/23/2017.  The plans will be broken up as follows for mobile data and video:

Go Unlimited ($75/month):  Unlimited talk, text & data, mobile hot spot limited to 600 kbps & video streaming limited to 480p on phones or 720p on tablets

Beyond Unlimited ($85/month): Unlimited talk, text & data, 15 GB of 4G LTE hotspot followed by 600kbps & video streaming at 720p to phones or 1080p on tablets

Business Unlimited: Unlimited talk,text & data, 10 GB of 4G LTE hotspot followed by 600kbps & video streaming at 480p.

https://hothardware.com/news/verizon-unlimited-data-plans-now-throttle-all-video-to-720p-or-less-on-phones

We can’t say that we didn’t see this coming. Back in late July, Verizon Wireless customers became alarmed when they noticed that their YouTube and Netflix streams were being capped at 10Mbps. At the time, Verizon stated, “We've been doing network testing over the past few days to optimize the performance of video applications on our network...The test was across the board, and did not target any individual applications.”

Now, it appears that Verizon’s throttling “tests” have been extended to a full-blown implementation across its network. Starting tomorrow, August 23rd, Verizon’s unlimited data plans will be split into three new options: Go Unlimited, Beyond Unlimited and Business Unlimited.

No matter which plan you select, there is no way to enable 1080p streaming on a smartphone with Verizon’s revised unlimited plans. And don’t think that using your smartphone or tablet as a mobile hotspot will allow you to get around the video caps — you will still be limited to a max of 720p with a smartphone or 1080p with a tablet (if you’re on a Beyond Unlimited plan). That means that you can forget about trying to stream 4K video to your laptop via your smartphone or cellular-enabled tablet.

And of course, Verizon is trying to spin this as being a good thing for customers. “These plans give you the best unlimited choices, but you also get what only Verizon can give you: the best network, the best rewards program, the best way to manage your plan with the My Verizon app and the best selection of phones and devices,” wrote Verizon in a press release.

“We’re doing this to ensure all customers have a great experience on our network since there is no visible difference in quality on a smartphone or tablet when video is shown at higher resolutions than 720p on phones and 1080p on tablets.”

So, I guess this means that they can create internet traffic lanes and decide how much of what kind of data you can get...  Seriously, I'm glad that I'm not on Verizon, however, I wonder how many other mobile ISPs have similar setups or will soon begin to implement this...  This also feeds back into Mobile broadband is not a replacement for landlines.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No Verizon, 720p is not enough :/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

10 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

“We’re doing this to ensure all customers have a great experience on our network since there is no visible difference in quality on a smartphone or tablet when video is shown at higher resolutions than 720p on phones and 1080p on tablets.”

What are they, console peasants from 2014?

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious