Opinions on Oneplus 5?

JJB1729

The end of my contract is fast approaching and I'm looking at a good all-round android phone, mainly for game emulating and general use.

Does anyone have a OnePlus 5? What are your thoughts on it? I've heard it's smoother than the S8 and S8 Plus - is this true?

I like the (relatively) low price tag - is it worth it?

It’s good, but I personally think it’s overhyped.

What it is to me is a fast, smooth Android phone that’s sold at a good price. Nothing special about it. It’s jusy pretty good.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

33 minutes ago, JJB1729 said:

The end of my contract is fast approaching and I'm looking at a good all-round android phone, mainly for game emulating and general use.

Does anyone have a OnePlus 5? What are your thoughts on it? I've heard it's smoother than the S8 and S8 Plus - is this true?

I like the (relatively) low price tag - is it worth it?

The OP5 is great but it haves that jelly effect anddon't expect to receive software updates after 1-2 years. I'm a OP2 user and from my experience the phones are great but the support for them not so much. 

So in conclusion, if you plan on rooting your phone after it stops getting updates get it., if not, go for the S8/S8+

It's a good phone other than the jelly screen, OnePlus as a company is a whole different story. If 3 gets O then you will definitely get 2 years of support which is a company standard nowadays. Root and room support is also immense. If you like a fluid stockish Android experience grab it

44 minutes ago, Aytex said:

It's a good phone other than the jelly screen, OnePlus as a company is a whole different story. If 3 gets O then you will definitely get 2 years of support which is a company standard nowadays. Root and room support is also immense. If you like a fluid stockish Android experience grab it

This will actually be my first ever android phone. I'm unfamiliar with some of the terminology.
What is a jelly screen.
Also "If 3 gets O then..." what does that mean?
Lastly "Root and room support"?
Thanks!

Open Twitter with whatever phone you have right now, out it upside down and scroll, that's a general idea of the op5 displays jelly screening.

OnePlus failed to give nougat to the OnePlus 2 but they said they will give Android O the latest Android to the OnePlus 3. Failure to do so will make me lose all hope in the company as their standard is one year of support.

ROMs and basically custom coded OS that you can flash on your device. It's a great way to get the latest OS when your device is not given software updates from the OEM anymore