Intel shows off a mysterious black Surface Book in it's new 8th gen processor video

AlTech

Intel is showing off what could be the next generation Microsoft Surface Book in their 8th gen CPU marketing video.

The product isn't specifically mentioned by name or even referenced except for scenes containing what appears to be a black Surface Book. The dynamic fulcrum hinge is present on the laptop and the Escape key looks just like what's found on the Surface Book Gen 1.

This is big news cos the Surface Book is still rocking Skylake so potentially we could see a Black Surface Book Gen 2 with CoffeeLake/CanonLake. if that's the case then i'd expect a quad core 15w CPU and a GT 1030 or GTX 1050. Microsoft is clearly not a big fan of AMD Radeon Pro notebook GPUs (unfortunately) and so it's likely that they will stick with Nvidia.

Microsoft currently manufactures a gray Surface Book, and the company hasn’t used black on its Surface line since the Surface Pro 2 nearly four years ago. The mysterious device in Intel’s video could be a marketing render, but it does include the exact same eject key found on the keyboard of the Surface Book and the unique fulcrum hinge that Microsoft uses on its laptop.

Microsoft is planning to launch an LTE version of the Surface Pro in October, and it’s possible the company might also refresh its Surface Book at the same time. Microsoft was one of the first PC makers to opt for Intel’s Skylake processor for its original Surface Book, but the company struggled with the architecture and a new Connected Standby (Instant On) feature of Windows 10.

While Microsoft eventually updated Surface Book firmware to fix some early issues, Consumer Reports recently found reliability problems with previous Surface devices. If Microsoft is planning to refresh the Surface Book, it would be surprising to see the company once again take Intel’s latest processors right away after the previous problems. Intel’s video tagline is “designed for what’s coming next,” so it could just be hinting that the next Surface Book will use the new quad-core Kaby Lake refresh processors.

surfacebookblack2.jpg

surfacebookblack1.jpg

surfacebookblack3.jpg

surfacebookblack4.png

I'm definitely hyped for Surface Book 2 but since I already have a laptop I need to wait until at least 2020 to upgrade that.

This seems pretty cool and I'm somewhat jealous that most people with new laptops in the future will have quad core CPUs whilst I'll be stuck with a dual core :(.

Anyhow, that's just a guess. A rather educational guess made by intelligent people over at TheVerge. Thanks for reading :D.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/21/16181452/intel-microsoft-surface-book-black-promo-video

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I hope they don't use Intel HD for 'vivid HD' gaming... 

6 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

if they pull the same shenanigans they did with the OG,

Base model will have Intel HD Graphics

Base dGPU will have iGPU + a bad dGPU

Performance dGPU will have iGPU + acceptable graphics.

to be completely honest, I think a dGPU should be included in the base model with an optional better dGPU model for extra $$

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Vivid HD means that the graphics solution either will not alter the colors of your games, or over saturates them to rich "vivid"
As for HD, well 720p is technically HD.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Vivid HD means that the graphics solution either will not alter the colors of your games, or over saturates them to rich "vivid"

I think its funny how many people do not know what HD is.

HD 1280x720

FHD 1920x1080

QHD 2560x1440

UHD 3840x2160

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

to be completely honest, I think a dGPU should be included in the base model with an optional better dGPU model for extra $$

Nha, it is psychological play. It is like they do in flyers where they show 3 same items of different prices where it is to make you buy the mid one. For example, windshield wipers. They you show you 3 products (even though they might sale many other models), one super cheap ones, one middle one, and one over priced, you pick the middle one.

Same with all Surface line product. The base line is shit for your money, the max is over priced to the next level, and most people buy the 1-2 mid range model, as in reality the mid range ones which give you decently good value for your money and the one that they want to sale. In the end, you probably spend a bit more than your budget, but justified yourself that the lower end one is just total crap, and the higher end one is ludicrously expensive (which are true). They make the most of the mid range model, few of the lowest end and highest end models, but the few where their needs are meant with those side models have a system for them.

But in all honestly, for many Intel graphics is enough even for the Surface Book, so why not have that option. I do expect a 4GB model and Core M CPU to push the above point for the lowest end model. Remember that you need an Nvidia graphics card that is actually faster than Intel's, else your are wasting power (affects battery life powering a chip that consumes more power than Intel integrated graphics but equally as fast). Not all Nvidia graphics solution on the low end are more powerful than Intel's.

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

so what, like GT 1030 --> 1060 max q or qc or whatever the power efficient one is

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Intel, world leader in VLC gaming.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

55 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

But in all honestly, for many Intel graphics is enough ....

I tend to be one of those people. I need CPU power and RAM on my laptop, but I rarely ever game or do anything graphically demanding. So I actually find a dGPU in a laptop to be a turn off. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

12 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I think you may be seeing too much into an illustrative, possibly 3D-rendered laptop.

Professional journalists at the The Verge can see it's a surface book. it looks exactly like one on the sides and the hinge design.

I've seen SurfaceBooks in real life and they looked really similar except for being grey.

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Professional journalists at the The Verge can see it's a surface book. it looks exactly like one on the sides and the hinge design.

I've seen SurfaceBooks in real life and they looked really similar except for being grey.

That's not the point. The point is that ripping off the Surface book design because you think it makes for a cool-looking laptop isn't the same as secretly signaling the imminent release of a new product. The color, in fact, could be an attempt at making it look more generic, despite using the surface as a model.

This is reading in tea leaves, basically.

10 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That's not the point. The point is that ripping off the Surface book design because you think it makes for a cool-looking laptop isn't the same as secretly signaling the imminent release of a new product. The color, in fact, could be an attempt at making it look more generic, despite using the surface as a model.

This is reading in tea leaves, basically.

I'm still pretty sure Intel and Microsoft probably have an agreement for the next Surface product whether that it or isn't the SurfaceBook 2.

IDK if anybody remembers but the 2nd generation Surface Pro was black instead of grey.

This could possibly be a throwback to that since SurfaceBook 2nd gen could come out soon.

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

IDK if anybody remembers but the 2nd generation Surface Pro was black instead of grey.

This could possibly be a throwback to that since SurfaceBook 2nd gen could come out soon.

Surface RT, Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 where black.

Surface 2, Surface 3, Surface Pro 3 and the rest where/are 'magnesium color'

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

I know, still an iGPU is not an ideal solution to play games at 720p resolution. Surface book never meant to be a gaming laptop in the beginning, it's a productivity one with gaming as something extra.

17 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm still pretty sure Intel and Microsoft probably have an agreement for the next Surface product whether that it or isn't the SurfaceBook 2.

That's different. It may even be true. Your convictions aren't news, though :P 

4 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I think you may be seeing too much into an illustrative, possibly 3D-rendered laptop.

surfacebookblack1.jpgIn this image you can see the key for the surface book disconnect key. As far as I know only the surface book had this button to release the displace from the keyboard via the locking mechanism, so unless Intel decided to copy the original surface book , paint it black and use it to advertise the 8th gen processors (original had 6th gen) this is almost certainly the (surface book 2) new surface book.

Edited by ScratchCat
Readability