Ryzen Upgrade

Tsuki

so i dont have pictures yet (waiting for to get a new case)

but i finally made the upgrade to ryzen!!

Previous specs:

FX 8320@4GHz

Asus Crosshair V Formula AMD 990FX

16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz

New Specs:

R5 1600X ($230)

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic ($100)

16GB Corsair LPX 3200MHz ($100)

Still using my GTX 970 Strix although i might end up getting a second one soon.

BenchMarks!  the Am3+ scores are the ones i took right before the upgrade.  the only change was the hardware swap.

CiniBench went from 630 to a solid 1227.  Not bad.

Min / Max / Average

Tomb Raider  AM3+

Spoiler

High:        118 / 180 / 134
Ultra:        110 / 122 / 118
Ultimate:     72 / 112 / 94

Tomb Raider  AM4

Spoiler

High:        150 / 214 / 185
Ultra:        112 / 164 / 140
Ultimate:     70 / 124 / 94

BioShock Infinite  AM3+

Spoiler

High:        29 / 236 / 111
Very High:    29 / 239 / 111
Ultra:        17 / 333 / 99

BioShock Infinite AM4

Spoiler

High:        39 / 319 / 170
Very High:    40 / 262 / 161
Ultra:        32 / 253 / 139

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor  AM3+

Spoiler

High:        57 / 156 / 103
Very High:    55 / 148 / 98
Ultra:        50 / 117 / 81

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor AM4

Spoiler

High:        69 / 154 / 107
Very High:    65 / 148 / 101
Ultra:        48 / 107 / 74

Overall, super happy so far. just with a new cpu, seeing score go up like this is awesome.  some of the results are a little weird. the average for Shadow of morder on ultra went down somehow, and i have no idea what happened with the max scores for BioShock Infinite for AM3+..    Not super scientific, but not bad overall i think.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Nice, love seeing that nice performance bump, got any nice pictures to share?

I just upgraded my GF pc to a 1600 from a i3 (4000s), she loves it.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

10 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Nice, love seeing that nice performance bump, got any nice pictures to share?

I just upgraded my GF pc to a 1600 from a i3 (4000s), she loves it.

ill get some tonight. i didnt wanna take any build pics yet, cuz im still using my old case and ill have to rebuild the whole thing anyways. but ill take some glamour shots when i get home.  i was actually amazed to see that level of a jump even if some of those numbers make no sense lol

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

the case is still super dusty from before, its too much effort to clean it out when im just gonna be getting a new case eventually.

the red thing is my wireless card that sadly i cant paint white. but you dont really see it unless you're looking at this angle.

and the sag on that 970 is insane. ill have to get some fishing wire or something. i think the board itself is warped at this point, backplate is just adding weight instead of helping.

20170824_141651.jpg

|Specs in profile|

10 hours ago, Tsuki said:

the case is still super dusty from before, its too much effort to clean it out when im just gonna be getting a new case eventually.

the red thing is my wireless card that sadly i cant paint white. but you dont really see it unless you're looking at this angle.

and the sag on that 970 is insane. ill have to get some fishing wire or something. i think the board itself is warped at this point, backplate is just adding weight instead of helping.

To combat the warped or hanging look what you could do is take the power supply cable connecting to the GPU and run it underneath the edge of the heatsink. Then take the cable and instead of routing it through the bottom, route it through the middle cable management slot and tie it down in the back. It won't eliminate all of the sag, but it will help support the weight of the card. Oh, and make sure it won't move under the fans, this is why you tighten it down with zipties. 

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

9 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

To combat the warped or hanging look what you could do is take the power supply cable connecting to the GPU and run it underneath the edge of the heatsink. Then take the cable and instead of routing it through the bottom, route it through the middle cable management slot and tie it down in the back. It won't eliminate all of the sag, but it will help support the weight of the card. Oh, and make sure it won't move under the fans, this is why you tighten it down with zipties. 

thats not a bad idea, ill probably do that when i get cable extensions.  ill also make the cable management better when i get the new case. right now its a mess behind the other sidepanel

|Specs in profile|

Just now, Tsuki said:

thats not a bad idea, ill probably do that when i get cable extensions.  ill also make the cable management better when i get the new case. right now its a mess behind the other sidepanel

Fair enough. Let me know how it goes, and good luck with the cable management!

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."