I'm pretty new to overclocking so I watched JayzTwoCents' video on how to overclock the FX-8350 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckeAmnDeTk&t=707s). Now I know I don't have the exact same motherboard as him, but I followed the directions he laid out more or less pretty faithfully. I first overclocked my CPU in the BIOS settings to 4.5 GHz I think. When it came to the stress-testing part, he said to download Prime95 to test the CPU. So I did the stress-test and about 30 seconds in, the PC froze up. I went back into the settings, reduced the clock speed to 4.35 GHz and tried the same stress-test again. It froze my computer again still but, interestingly, it ran for longer before it froze than it did when I set the speed to 4.5. So, I tried yet again at lower speeds and saw the same pattern of how long the PC ran during stress-testing before it froze vs. how fast the CPU was. I concluded that the motherboard I have is just not very good at overclocking because I ran the stress-test with all settings factory default in BIOS and it had no problems whatsoever. I just want to know if maybe anyone knows why this was happening, what was the culprit and should I think about an upgrade if I want to continue overclocking?

1 minute ago, SpartanKingLeonidas said:

I'm pretty new to overclocking so I watched JayzTwoCents' video on how to overclock the FX-8350 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckeAmnDeTk&t=707s). Now I know I don't have the exact same motherboard as him, but I followed the directions he laid out more or less pretty faithfully. I first overclocked my CPU in the BIOS settings to 4.5 GHz I think. When it came to the stress-testing part, he said to download Prime95 to test the CPU. So I did the stress-test and about 30 seconds in, the PC froze up. I went back into the settings, reduced the clock speed to 4.35 GHz and tried the same stress-test again. It froze my computer again still but, interestingly, it ran for longer before it froze than it did when I set the speed to 4.5. So, I tried yet again at lower speeds and saw the same pattern of how long the PC ran during stress-testing before it froze vs. how fast the CPU was. I concluded that the motherboard I have is just not very good at overclocking because I ran the stress-test with all settings factory default in BIOS and it had no problems whatsoever. I just want to know if maybe anyone knows why this was happening, what was the culprit and should I think about an upgrade if I want to continue overclocking?

What chipset do you have? That could be a variable and 4.5 is crazy to start off. Try 4.1 With 1.35V 

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

1 minute ago, Killstreak said:

What chipset do you have? That could be a variable and 4.5 is crazy to start off. Try 4.1 With 1.35V 

Its a AMD 970 chipset, I'm not sure if that's any good. I did try 4.1 and to no avail, it froze after about 1 1/2 mins.

2 minutes ago, SpartanKingLeonidas said:

Its a AMD 970 chipset, I'm not sure if that's any good. I did try 4.1 and to no avail, it froze after about 1 1/2 mins.

Whats your cooler?

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Just now, Killstreak said:

Whats your cooler?

Corsair H60 Hydro. Should be fine for this kinda stuff, right?

Just now, SpartanKingLeonidas said:

Corsair H60 Hydro. Should be fine for this kinda stuff, right?

Yeah. Hmm What brand is your motherboard?

Yeah. Hmm What brand is your motherboard?

ASUS brand. it's fairly old, I got the original PC it was in at an auction. I don't know if that would contribute to the problem or...

Just now, SpartanKingLeonidas said:

ASUS brand. it's fairly old, I got the original PC it was in at an auction. I don't know if that would contribute to the problem or...

Do you have discord? If i was to help you I would need to see all your settings on windows. 

Do you have discord? If i was to help you I would need to see all your settings on windows. 

For sure. My discord name is malakas.gr

Thanks for helping me out with all this stuff by the way.

1 minute ago, SpartanKingLeonidas said:

For sure. My discord name is malakas.gr

Thanks for helping me out with all this stuff by the way.

Your #0000?