Intel releases 16 core CPU for $449 USD

On 22/08/2017 at 12:43 PM, lilbman said:

So, if it is a 32W CPU, does that mean that we could theoretically put it in a laptop and have a portable server?

and then we can build a compact, good looking server that us people who don't have a server room can put in our livingroom.

Unless intel decided to upgrade the IMC and memory supported by this chip more than they added cores relative to a conventional Atom it is going to bandwidth starved like crazy. Most Intel Atoms with only one memory channel can only achieve a scaling  of ~2.3 in geekbench (I know it is a bad benchmark) even with 4 non power limited cores, running 1 instance of HCLmemtest in the background can half the score.

Mmmmm, 16 cores and low watts.  I kind of want one to see if I can rock it 24/7 for some BOINC.  :D  Especially do some comparisons to my E5-2670-V3 at BOINC tasks.

Wait a minute, does that Gigabyte have fiber port spots if I am seeing right!?   Looks down, o my, it does have two SFPs!

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Mmmmm, 16 cores and low watts.  I kind of want one to see if I can rock it 24/7 for some BOINC.  :D  Especially do some comparisons to my E5-2670-V3 at BOINC tasks.

Wait a minute, does that Gigabyte have fiber port spots if I am seeing right!?   Looks down, o my, it does have two SFPs!

I'd go with the $600 16-core EPYC and the $600 Gigabyte board then call it a day. Not as power friendly for sure doe.

2 hours ago, dexT said:

I'd go with the $600 16-core EPYC and the $600 Gigabyte board then call it a day. Not as power friendly for sure doe.

Nah, I already got a Xeon for that stuff (only paid 150 for the chip and 150 for the board).  :D   Got to love 2nd hand buying.

I just want to fiddle with one of these Atoms for a low power BOINC setup.  The more cores and threads I can have up for the next Pentathlon, the better.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU