safe to buy used PSU?

Pachuca

I'm looking to make a purchase on a used PSU. The PSU is still under warranty. It's one of the nice seasonic PSU with the 10 yr warranty. Would it be too risky to buy it used? I know seasonic makes a great quality PSU, but on the other hand I have no idea how this unit was used. What are your thoughts on this?

depends on your build, and the price. I would personally take it over something like the EVGA 400 watt 80+ white units.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

it's a 1200 watt PSU i'm thinking of using for my first mining rig. Going to try (key word try) and get 4 GPUs at a reasonable price.The PSU is pretty expensive when purchasing at msrp that's why i'm considering to buy it used.

11 minutes ago, EPENEX said:

I personally would never buy a used PSU, but I do know that some people think different.

why never? even if it's half price from msrp and still under warranty? 

I have a used one and it has been great, if you are lucky you can get a good deal. For example I bought one off of someone on the forums here and it is a tier one and it is still under warranty I believe 

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

28 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

Because PSU is a key component in a PC that can save it from accidents on electricity supply like power surges, short circuits etc. Though this might not be that appropriate, I don't think you would agree that a used condom that's still intact can be reused, right?

Used PSU might have warranty, but you only use it when the PSU malfunctions under normal condition. If one of these accidents happen on a used PSU with a fault that's never detected, it might fail to protect the system.

The main point to not buy used PSU is that you don't know what the previous owner had done to it and didn't tell you. Any of these actions might lead to "undetected faults". If you somehow dropped your PSU and hear bad noises from its internals, you wouldnt use it right away, but at least send it back for a check. If the previous owner had done and experienced this but didnt tell you, you will most likely use the PSU as if its normal, and you get confused on why the PSU failed to protect your system.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 hour ago, Pachuca said:

it's a 1200 watt PSU i'm thinking of using for my first mining rig. Going to try (key word try) and get 4 GPUs at a reasonable price.The PSU is pretty expensive when purchasing at msrp that's why i'm considering to buy it used.

For this reason alone, I wouldn't do it. A mining rig is 100% load 100% of the time. That's a lot of strain on your PSU, and a lot of money down the drain if it goes pop. I wouldn't chance it. I'd buy a brand new PSU that you know has come from the manufacturer, who's built and tested it and done nothing else. For all you know, the reason this guy's selling the PSU is because his system had become unstable and he'd identified the PSU as the culprit.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

If from a good seller and an individual know to sell good parts, then yes, no problems.

If an seller with hardly any background on selling used parts, then no.

This the rule I go by when I buy all my used hardware (which is the majority of my hardware).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 hours ago, Pachuca said:

Would it be too risky to buy it used? 

Yes, because why does he sell the PSU?

And the warranty only applies to the original buyer and is not transferrable to the second buyer with most companys.

And how much money do you really save to make up for that risk?!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

As safe as buying any other used component. You can't fully know its history, but most of the times it is no different from having your own older component.

1 hour ago, Pachuca said:

Will you get a bill or whatever you need to enforce the warranty? If so, there's even less reason to worry, just make sure that the warranty haven't been somehow voided by the previous owner.

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

Because PSU is a key component in a PC that can save it from accidents on electricity supply like power surges, short circuits etc.

That's a good reason to get a good PSU. It really doesn't affect the new vs. used debate. If buying a great, 10-year warranty PSU and using it for 5 years is no problem, why would buying the same PSU from someone who used it 2 years, then using it 3 more years would be any different?

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

Though this might not be that appropriate, I don't think you would agree that a used condom that's still intact can be reused, right?

Condoms are only useful up to their first use. A PSU is useful as long as it's in working condition, certainly throughout their warranty period at the very least. The analogy is useless.

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, because why does he sell the PSU?

For the same reason he would sell any used component? Like, he doesn't need it anymore? Looking at the wattage, it could be a miner retiring from mining. OP wants to get started with mining. Seems like a win-win to me.

And the warranty only applies to the original buyer and is not transferrable to the second buyer with most companys.

This is an important point. The value of the PSU changes depending on that.

And how much money do you really save to make up for that risk?!

Usually, it does. I've bought 3 used PSUs on eBay, and maybe I could have bought the equivalent to the cheapest with the same money if buying new :P 

2 hours ago, Pachuca said:

I'm looking to make a purchase on a used PSU. The PSU is still under warranty. It's one of the nice seasonic PSU with the 10 yr warranty. Would it be too risky to buy it used? I know seasonic makes a great quality PSU, but on the other hand I have no idea how this unit was used. What are your thoughts on this?

Personally, i would not buy a used psu from an unknown sorce. The reason being is that it could be faulty and could fry your hardware. Make sure you know that is is working and get a demo on it on some other hardware before you use it