Tied between Samsung Galaxy S8 Active vs Essential Phone

Hey, having some trouble weighing the differences between two flagship devices on the market I've had my eyes on. I would appreciate some other opinions of these phones, and if you have any device recommendations (from personal experience) That'd help a lot!!

Here's what I've opened up between two of the latest phones out now.

S8 Active (August 11)                            Essential PH-1 (Sep 1)
+ Durability (Mil-Spec)                          + Premium Build/Design lang
+ IP68 Waterproofing                           - Lacks Waterprofing
= Specifications                                    = Specifications
+ Battery (4000mAh)                            - Battery (3040mAh)
= Camera (bog-standard)                     = Camera (better on paper)
+ Camera App (mediocre)                    - Camera App (too simple)
+ Cases, built-in case!                          - No cases offered, none?
- Bloatware, Slow updates                    + Clean OS, Fast updates
+ Reputable Brand                                - Startup Brand, Rep. Founder
- Carrier Locked (all bands)                   - Unlocked device (all bands)
+ Camera in bezel                                +/ Camera on screen, no bezel

*Oleophilic materials on both phones, however PH-1 has it worse.
*Black bars due to odd aspect ratio, however PH-1 embraces it and its less obvious.
*Both have their oddities, S8A with odd sensor, and PH-1 with odd camera placement.

*Spec wise, the phones are essentially equivalents. PH-1 Has lighter OS and slight overclock. 

I would appreciate any feedback on the current comparison chart, and I'd like to know about some other devices and your experiences with them.

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.5GHz Corsair H100i v2 | Asus Z170-A | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2x8 3200Mhz | Samsung 960 EVO 1TB + 850 EVO 250GB + Seagate 1TB | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+G | Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit (PcPartPicker)

Samsung

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I have the S8, would go with it over the Essential because I've been a longtime follower and haven't been disappointed.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Samsung

I need constructive feedback, please explain your reasoning, there's a reason why its on the post.

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.5GHz Corsair H100i v2 | Asus Z170-A | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2x8 3200Mhz | Samsung 960 EVO 1TB + 850 EVO 250GB + Seagate 1TB | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+G | Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit (PcPartPicker)

1 minute ago, Hiitchy said:

I have the S8, would go with it over the Essential because I've been a longtime follower and haven't been disappointed.

Yea, I have the S5 Active, I really don't wanna suffer with the bloatware again. At the same time, as you may have read, the phones both have their ups and downs.

Desktop:

Just now, Cyndre said:

Yea, I have the S5 Active, I really don't wanna suffer with the bloatware again. At the same time, as you may have read, the phones both have their ups and downs.

I completely understand. When I got the S8 from a provider here, they assured me they didn't have any bloatware on the phone other than the app to check my bill for the month. They stayed true to their word and only had the basic stuff. It was up to me to download the rest. Your experience may differ ever so slightly.

Just now, Hiitchy said:

I completely understand. When I got the S8 from a provider here, they assured me they didn't have any bloatware on the phone other than the app to check my bill for the month. They stayed true to their word and only had the basic stuff. It was up to me to download the rest. Your experience may differ ever so slightly.

One problem, ATT has it worse when it comes to bloatware, and the S8 Active is their exclusive "for a limited time" waiting for the carrier embargo to pass before I truly consider it. I mean, modern phones do have so much storage that it can go unnoticed, because you can disable them, however I don't want the promised capacity to be cut.

Desktop:

1 minute ago, Cyndre said:

One problem, ATT has it worse when it comes to bloatware, and the S8 Active is their exclusive "for a limited time" waiting for the carrier embargo to pass before I truly consider it. I mean, modern phones do have so much storage that it can go unnoticed, because you can disable them, however I don't want the promised capacity to be cut.

I've never dealt with AT&T since I've never been to the states, but since I've had issues in the past with bloatware, it makes me happy knowing I can just flash roms to the phone and do without the bloatware.

go for the s8, the essential phone is an overall rushed out product, average at best, go for the s8 it has a better camera, water resistance, headphone jack, better community support, better battery life, better screen...Etc. 

Just now, Hiitchy said:

I've never dealt with AT&T since I've never been to the states, but since I've had issues in the past with bloatware, it makes me happy knowing I can just flash roms to the phone and do without the bloatware.

Yeah, that process is a tri-edged sword. Not only do you risk bricking your phone, but you lose your warranty and you also have to spend extra resources to fix a problem that really shouldn't require consumers to fall down that rabbit hole. Unfortunately Samsung is still only selling the ATT model on their site. Given the lower price.

Desktop:

Just now, Cyndre said:

Yeah, that process is a tri-edged sword. Not only do you risk bricking your phone, but you lose your warranty and you also have to spend extra resources to fix a problem that really shouldn't require consumers to fall down that rabbit hole. Unfortunately Samsung is still only selling the ATT model on their site. Given the lower price.

Well all I have to say is best of luck whichever way you go man. I'd suggest trying to find out if there's a way you can sample the Essential. If you're certain you want it, then by all means go for it. :P 

14 minutes ago, Cyndre said:

I need constructive feedback, please explain your reasoning, there's a reason why its on the post.

Was about to edit that post, until the entire browser locked up for 5 minutes!

Anyway, Samsung because of their vast amount of resources they got, compare to a start up where it probably has none or not as much compared to Samsung.

It's the same with getting a prebuilt desktop. Between Dell and some boutique brand, I would rather get a Dell because they probably have like 100 engineers collaborating, where is the most optimal spot to place a power button. I got my parents a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. A cheap smartphone and bootup time is about the same as a old Samsung Note 3. My Asus on the other hand took a lot longer like a minute longer even thought it had more powerful specs.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

go for the s8, the essential phone is an overall rushed out product, average at best, go for the s8 it has a better camera, water resistance, headphone jack, better community support, better battery life, better screen...Etc. 

Essential has a lot of infrastructure work to do. I spent a good part of an hour making an account on their site. They're a startup, and this is a risky move for them, releasing such a tier phone. I've tried out the S8 Active, I mean a family member already has it. Its a great phone, and I hope to see what the PH-1 is gonna set on the table.

Desktop:

1 minute ago, Cyndre said:

Essential has a lot of infrastructure work to do. I spent a good part of an hour making an account on their site. They're a startup, and this is a risky move for them, releasing such a tier phone. I've tried out the S8 Active, I mean a family member already has it. Its a great phone, and I hope to see what the PH-1 is gonna set on the table.

Get a Samsung. Your taking a huge risk by getting a phone from a startup that hasn't even proven how reputable they are. So what if you spent a hour making a account. 

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Was about to edit that post, until the entire browser locked up for 5 minutes!

Anyway, Samsung because of their vast amount of resources they got, compare to a start up where it probably has none or not as much compared to Samsung.

It's the same with getting a prebuilt desktop. Between Dell and some boutique brand, I would rather get a Dell because they probably have like 100 engineers collaborating, where is the most optimal spot to place a power button.

That must have been a pain. I agree with that, exactly why I am stuck. I have factored in pretty much everything, and since Essential is an emerging brand it may be difficult to put trust in the engineers there. However, for a startup company, these risks need to be supported. I will stay curious to the name to see where they go.

*Not to put my face into the flame, of course. I most likely will wait and see what they will do for their next phone, as the current really has no ground.

Edited by Cyndre
*Footnote added

Desktop:

13 minutes ago, Cyndre said:

That must have been a pain. I agree with that, exactly why I am stuck. I have factored in pretty much everything, and since Essential is an emerging brand it may be difficult to put trust in the engineers there. However, for a startup company, these risks need to be supported. I will stay curious to the name to see where they go.

*Not to put my face into the flame, of course. I most likely will wait and see what they will do for their next phone, as the current really has no ground.

Can check out other reputable brands too such as LG, Sony, etc

AMD ThreadRipper 2!