How can I view this eclipse?

Okjoek

I'm told not to try and look directly at the eclipse and I understand why, but is there any safe way to catch a glimpse without having to buy something? We've all got sunglasses, but I'm fairly sure that's not enough. Could I stack several pairs of sunglasses or something or is there something I can look at it through? 

What about using a mirror? Or perhaps use my phone camera, like maybe view it with my selfie-camera from over my shoulder?

A telescope for moar detail!

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Seriously though, I watched a partial eclipse as a kid through 4-6 layers of film stacked on top of each other. Jut go get a cheap film packet or a disposable camera on look though that. I don't remember if it was developed first though...

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

15 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

What about using a mirror? Or perhaps use my phone camera, like maybe view it with my selfie-camera from over my shoulder?

You know those will just reflect the light directly into your eyes right since they're reflective surfaces? Selfie cam might work as long as you keep your face out of the shot.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

You know those will just reflect the light directly into your eyes right since they're reflective surfaces? Selfie cam might work as long as you keep your face out of the shot.

I did realize that. Just machine-gunning ideas, definitely not gonna go with that one. I feel I'll combine sunglasses with looking at it through my forward phone camera so the entire device is between my eyes and the view of the sun. I'll grab a piece of cardboard with a hole in it to hold around the phone just to block the peripheral vision around the phone too.

Not sure if this would work but set up a laptop/camera and remote view the image :P

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

4 hours ago, Okjoek said:

I'm told not to try and look directly at the eclipse and I understand why, but is there any safe way to catch a glimpse without having to buy something? We've all got sunglasses, but I'm fairly sure that's not enough. Could I stack several pairs of sunglasses or something or is there something I can look at it through? 

3 hours ago, Okjoek said:

1. Stacking multiple sunglasses: Nope. Unless you can stack enough of the material to form what are essential Welding Goggles, they won't be dark enough. You could still easily burn your retina.

2. Mirror: HELL NO! You're just reflecting the sunlight back into your eyes. Sure it might be 99.9% of the light instead of 100%, but it's still far more than needed to permanently damage your eyes. And if the mirror had a concave (even minor), it could possibly even magnify the force of the light.

3. Camera: NO NO NO! Please don't use your camera. You risk destroying your camera. Cameras need a properly rated filter that is rated to withstand the rays and brightness of the sun. These are often called "Solar" filters, but there are specific standards that guarantee it meets the requirements.

What can you do: Pinhole Projector Box!

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/box-pinhole-projector.html

Basically, this is a safe way to view the eclipse in a non-direct manner. It's neat, but certainly not as cool as seeing the real thing. It is safe though, as you're looking at the "shadow" of the eclipse on the inside of the box.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

1. Stacking multiple sunglasses: Nope. Unless you can stack enough of the material to form what are essential Welding Goggles, they won't be dark enough. You could still easily burn your retina.

2. Mirror: HELL NO! You're just reflecting the sunlight back into your eyes. Sure it might be 99.9% of the light instead of 100%, but it's still far more than needed to permanently damage your eyes. And if the mirror had a concave (even minor), it could possibly even magnify the force of the light.

3. Camera: NO NO NO! Please don't use your camera. You risk destroying your camera. Cameras need a properly rated filter that is rated to withstand the rays and brightness of the sun. These are often called "Solar" filters, but there are specific standards that guarantee it meets the requirements.

What can you do: Pinhole Projector Box!

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/box-pinhole-projector.html

Basically, this is a safe way to view the eclipse in a non-direct manner. It's neat, but certainly not as cool as seeing the real thing. It is safe though, as you're looking at the "shadow" of the eclipse on the inside of the box.

Just decided not to even bother because it's partly cloudy today and the cloud cover was probably why it was so warm out. We just stayed inside with the AC on and played video games.

2 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Just decided not to even bother because it's partly cloudy today and the cloud cover was probably why it was so warm out. We just stayed inside with the AC on and played video games.

Fair enough - Peak Eclipse was right at 2:30 here in Ontario. I went out for a few minutes with a pair of Eclipse Glasses (thankfully one of our staff members brought in a few pairs) and it was quite neat, but since we're not within Totality range, it wasn't that exciting.

I wanted to setup a time-lapse video on a tripod, but unfortunately I couldn't get a hold of a lens filter in time, as basically everywhere was sold out of anything Eclipse rated.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 1 month later...

Hey, you can view eclipse with the help of glasses which are especially design for eclipse viewing.

whaaaat the hell? why was this mega bumped? Bit out of date on the advice there @ADDevereaux. plus they did say "without having to buy something"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Wait, what.

@ADDevereaux  Are you a necromancer?  Also welcome to the forums.

While this advice is out of date, shade 14 welding glass will give full protection.

Also, while the eclipse is in its totality, you can view it without anything and be fine, as a matter of fact the totality is impossible to see with proper eye protection on.

20 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Wait, what.

@ADDevereaux  Are you a necromancer?  Also welcome to the forums.

While this advice is out of date, shade 14 welding glass will give full protection.

Also, while the eclipse is in its totality, you can view it without anything and be fine, as a matter of fact the totality is impossible to see with proper eye protection on.

Not at all.

23 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

whaaaat the hell? why was this mega bumped? Bit out of date on the advice there @ADDevereaux. plus they did say "without having to buy something"

I think that i didn't read correctly.