Nvidia G-sync Question

ShoshinUK

OK, I have a marvellous Asus ROG swift monitor.

It has g-sync, which I use for FPS games.

The main game I play is Squad. I can pull 85fps 90% of the time, so i run g-sync at that and use Riva tuner to lock it at 85fps as well and display stats.

I have been reading that if you run g-sync and the app at the same rate (in this case 85fps) then you will get additional input lag from the g-sync. Also that Riva Tuner gives a little input lag.

I am thinking if I run g-sync at 100fps, and set Riva Tuner to 90fps, I should see a reduction in input lag as I am not hitting the g-sync cap ever. Granted it may not be noticeable but I like to push such things.

Anyone played with such things?

cheers

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

Why are you capping FPS in that game? Unless it runs above 164FPS there is no reason to cap it.

20 minutes ago, ShoshinUK said:

OK, I have a marvelous Asus ROG swift monitor.

It has g-sync, which I use for FPS games.

The main game I play is Squad. I can pull 85fps 90% of the time, so i run g-sync at that and use Riva tuner to lock it at 85fps as well and display stats.

I have been reading that if you run g-sync and the app at the same rate (in this case 85fps) then you will get additional input lag from the g-sync. Also that Riva Tuner gives a little input lag.

I am thinking if I run g-sync at 100fps, and set Riva Tuner to 90fps, I should see a reduction in input lag as I am not hitting the g-sync cap ever. Granted it may not be noticeable but I like to push such things.

Anyone played with such things?

cheers

why would you set an fps on riva tuner? just let it run at the max fps you can... dont cap it. thats why g-sync exists... to eliminate screen tearing.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I cap it to reduce the fps variation as I get bad headaches if fps goes up and down to much. Uncapped in Squad I would see 55-100fps (max I can get out of Squad with my rig). With my cap I play 90% time at 85fps fixed = no headaches. Perhaps g-synch will remove the chance of headache anyhow as it smooths lowe rfps etc.

I also don't know if I remove the cap will the rig still push the higher than 85fps g-sync setting or does g-sync on only ask for what it's set to? No point in running the rig harder than what I see right?

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

6 minutes ago, ShoshinUK said:

I cap it to reduce the fps variation as I get bad headaches if fps goes up and down to much, I game hard. Uncapped in Squad I would see 55-100fps (max I can get out of Squad with my rig). With my cap I play 90% time at 85fps fixed = no headaches. Perhaps g-synch will remove the chance of headache anyhow as it smooths lower fps etc.

I also don't know if I remove the cap will the rig still push the higher than 85fps g-sync setting or does g-sync on only ask for what it's set to? No point in running the rig harder than what I see right?

Operating System Win 10

There is like 2ms input delay difference. No g-sync is like 3ms, and with gsync something like 5ms. However higher the frames the better and less delay i think.

So yeah it will never noticable. And Squad has terrible registration. Perhaps try a game where input is really important and the latency low. Like cs:go, wow or a moba. And then manually cap the frames ingame with commands or the sliders. And tell for yourself. And dont use rivatuner then.

Personnaly im waiting for the game profiles in Nvidia to work with disabling g-sync with selected titles. The option is already there under 3d settings>application settings, but it doesnt work. Atleast last time i checked.

And capping fps defeats the whole purpose of gsync..

2 minutes ago, sun2 said:

And capping fps defeats the whole purpose of gsync..

Yes I only cap to reduce the range of fps re my previous situation of headaches. 

So back to the main point, does running your Apps lower than the g-sync max value value reduce the input lag?

I am happy with saving 2ms here and there, it all add's up and I am hyper sensitive to these things and very nerdy...........

Operating System Win 10

41 minutes ago, ShoshinUK said:

Yes I only cap to reduce the range of fps re my previous situation of headaches. 

So back to the main point, does running your Apps lower than the g-sync max value value reduce the input lag?

I am happy with saving 2ms here and there, it all add's up and I am hyper sensitive to these things and very nerdy...........

Yeah sorry, didnt know when i wrote the comment.

No it will increase input lagg, however if its noticable and required is up to you. More fps is less delay. And gsync itself is good for a 2ms.

And Squad is really not the game to test that or set those requirements. The registration is bad, input actions limited, and the game itself is not demanding for fast pased action.

If you would play competitively, you want vsync and gsync turned off, refresh rate and fps on the higest possible, TN panel with 1ms respons, and all the graphics settings on the lowest, a good configured nvidia settings, no background procceses, windows dumbed down, prioritized router settings, a good ISP and game server. Those all help. If i shoot with a awp(sniper rifle) in csgo my reaction and input > kill it can be around ~400ms. Which is insane fast and around proffesional levels.

This is all not needed for Squad, i play it myself. You dominate the whole server without those things. However for high skilled competitive games like csgo its really mandatory.

So again try some competitive games where you can notice difference in input lagg like vsync on and off and gsync.. And change the settings really easy on the fly.

(just tested, nvidia 3d settings>application settings still doesnt work. It disables gsync for all games.)

G-Sync - in general - doesn't add any Input Lag at all. Measured in this video, he even had LOWER Input lag with G-Sync. But FAR less than 1 ms.

So, no reason to turn g-Sync off, since with G-Sync on, games ALWAYS look better. Even for competetive shooters, the Input lag difference is completely negligible ^^"

Unless, you play CS:GO or something, where you always ha ve 300+ fps. Then of course, G-Sync won't be active anyway. And it's been tested, CS:GO with a fps_max at 142 can have a lower input Lag, than 300 max_fps.

The ONLY case i would turn G-Sync off as a Gamer is, if i don't just play competetive for ladders, but for Money. 

If you cap your fps lower, your Input Lag will increase.

With 85 fps, you more more Input Lag in general, than with 100 fps. or 120. 

Btw: Using a fps limiter like Riva Tuner can be a good idea, even WITH G-Sync. G-Sync makes tearing and stuttering go away, and makes the image smooth at all times. But  strong fps - differences (even tho, they don't stutter or tear), can be irritating / annoying.

Having a Limit will give you a much more consistent experience overall, and reduces Load on th GPU, since it only has to render 85 fps, instead of the 120 it could. --> less power consumption, heat, and noise. ^^

ok @Darkseth thank you for the input, I won't pretend I could have worded that better but you seem have what i'm doing currently, and why. You summed up nicely.

Just to be clear, I am talking about setting G-sync to 100fps, but using Riva to limit the fps to say 90fps.

Will this reduce the input lag using G-sync brings into the system, I have read that it may well do so as the G-sync is not running at it's maximum fps, in this case 100fps on 100 G-sync setting etc.

I realise if it does indeed work, we are talking maybe 1ms, but i'll take it. I have taken this approach to every element of my system and have noticed a big difference overall, I am sensitive to these things and enjoy working them out and noticing them over time.

Operating System Win 10

Well it will differ per game apparently. From the same channel but a other game(csgo) is the 2ms i was talking about:

And i can tell if you would use Gsync on or off with cs:go and over or under the fps mark for gsync. Especially with sprays and certain entity movements, and this is unplayable for anyone on higher skill ceillings. That why you see nobody using gsync monitors in the Esports scene.

However i totally agree with the smoother image and low delay if its noticable or not. In a lot of games you dont. However with cs:go or lol i would not recommend it. And people should test themselfs if they can notice it.

@sun2 thanks for the video link, it's a great find.

So now I know to limit my FPS just under the G-sync rating to ensure G-sync remains on, with no additional input lag. (not that it matters in Squad, if I run 144hz, G-sync on it will never goe above 100fps now anyhow, so this only applies to stuff like cs:go which I never play anyhow etc).

What I need to find out is does MSI Afterburner/Riva Tuner introduces more input lag like Nvidia Inspector does just for fun, I would like to keep using MSI Afterburner to display my other stats, but not limit the FPS. I think it won't aside from the minor draw on system resources.

I have messaged the youtuber and hope to hear back!

Operating System Win 10

You run all your games on 80 or 100fps? And how bad are these headaches? Smoothest or ideal would be no fps caps or fps limiters at all.

Well thats an intresting question. He has a video about the Nvidia inspector, but not about Rivatuner. I lean towards RivaTuner slighty having more delay.

@sun2 right, the problem has now gone in Squad as I cant run Squad anywhere near 144hz. So no need to limit. 

So I am just fishing for more info, I would like mSI Afterburner to run to show stats, not limit FPS with Riva Tuner - but not at the cost of additional lag.

I know (from the video) to use command line FPS limit in games that have that feature and can go above the 144Hz, it's not a big deal as I don't play cs:go. The only other game I play that this matters is Insurgency, but that in multiplayer only pushes 120fps, so same situation as Squad - all is good.

I think G-sync will fix the headaches (they were real bad), but I never really found out as before I had G-sync I just fixed my FPS at the lower rate a game could produce and they went away.

I'll test it a bit next few days, and see if any of this actually matters to my game performance. I am not that good, but I can and do notice slight changes.

Operating System Win 10

I know Squad wount run near 144hz :-) Im a commander/founder, it used to be worse.

You would register tools for that. Think your best changes are indeed that YouTuber. Insurgency uses the Source engine, maybe you can use the command; fps_max 300 or fps_max 0 for the max possible. Perhaps play on a local server so you can test it.

Well hope so. Are the with different fps, or only with high fps, or with too long playing with high fps? Ive heard about it, but its a bit hard too imagine someone getting actual headaches with gaming. Which really sucks though.

29 minutes ago, sun2 said:

ts a bit hard too imagine someone getting actual headaches with gaming. Which really sucks though.

no worries and thanks for the help.

Re the headaches, my eyes are wrecked so i tend to need brightness turned right up and due to the games I mostly play, im shooting pixels so I really need to focus. What i found was when the FPS was real up and down, I got headaches. I game for 4-6 hours straight and very regularly. I think they were eye strain related from what was going on. Fixing the FPS literally sorted it overnight.

Operating System Win 10

Ok very intresting. Well atleast you found a solution for the headaches.