can i split my internet in 2?

Isak Larsen

we have a really slow internet and i cant play games when someone else is on the network because my ping gets to high. so i was wondering if i could split my internet in 2 so that only i could have accces to 1 of them and the rest of my family could have the other one. we doublet the speed of the internet about a year ago and i could play just fine before that if noone was on the network so i think half the speed will be more than enough for me. i have 2 routers if that is needed.

That's not how it works. You'd still have one connection coming into the house.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Well not exactly no. But check your moden/router's control panel. There might be a QoS section. That'll let you send all packets from a specific ip address/ mac address to the front of the queue so theoretically your family shouldn't be able to slow you down.

7 minutes ago, Isak Larsen said:

we have a really slow internet and i cant play games when someone else is on the network because my ping gets to high. so i was wondering if i could split my internet in 2 so that only i could have accces to 1 of them and the rest of my family could have the other one. we doublet the speed of the internet about a year ago and i could play just fine before that if noone was on the network so i think half the speed will be more than enough for me. i have 2 routers if that is needed.

You could get a router and setup QoS to prioritze your gaming traffic.

You can also program some routers to limit bandwidth to certain IPs,

If your wireless go wired for gaming that should solve the issue.

If you can afford it you could always have your ISP install a second connection just for your usage

1 minute ago, ryan27968 said:

Well not exactly no. But check your moden/router's control panel. There might be a QoS section. That'll let you send all packets from a specific ip address/ mac address to the front of the queue so theoretically your family shouldn't be able to slow you down.

^ what he said. See if you can prioritize traffic to your IP

just prioririse your trafic in the router settings, thats what i have done unless my ISP nuked that lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

A good QOS can do wonders, I have QOS on my upload only due to it being 13 Mbps (240 Mbps download) and it makes it so no one lags in games even if people stream or upload stuff.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc