HTC Vive is now $600

IsaacThePooper

Finally, maybe make it $500 to compete with the Oculus Rift with Touch Controllers.

I know the Oculus will go back to $600 but it would still be cool to see it be cheaper, maybe even $550...

idk I'm just spitting out my thoughts.

these are first gen VR products

im gonna wait for this industry to mature before investing in the hardware

Photography / Finance / Gaming

2 minutes ago, mok said:

these are first gen VR products

im gonna wait for this industry to mature before investing in the hardware

Same.

These are more like early adopter toys. Expensive and very much first-generation.

If and when it starts getting consumerized, that’s when it gets interesting.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

make it ~400 € with all necessary stuff and I might consider buying it. Before that, no way

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Same.

These are more like early adopter toys. Expensive and very much first-generation.

If and when it starts getting consumerized, that’s when it gets interesting.

I agree practically, the resolution sucks but trying to make the resolution higher would make everyone need better PC parts. It's all just a matter of time when cost goes down for VR to get better.

But I have the HTC Vive and I really enjoy it, I play it everyday.

If the price goes down, it may just mean that they are clearing their inventory in anticipation of their next gen VR headsets.

Though honestly, the price is still too damn high for mainstream, so it will still be a niche product the the foreseeable future.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

I agree practically, the resolution sucks but trying to make the resolution higher would make everyone need better PC parts. It's all just a matter of time when cost goes down for VR to get better.

But I have the HTC Vive and I really enjoy it, I play it everyday.

Nothing to do with resolution. Just improving the tracking, sensing and also bringing the cost of each component down through manufacturing and scale.

VR still has a ways to go before it can go fully mainstream.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Additionally, there needs to be more game support

Having a $300 Vive with all the accessories is cool, but am I really going to use it to play virtual painting games and shooter demo's for like five years? No I wanna be f****ng Lara Croft or an assassins cred character scaling a goddamn mountain (not really I'm afraid of heights but you get my point)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25