Custom PSU cables

unknownmiscreant
4 hours ago, unknownmiscreant said:

-snip-

I appreciate all your hard work to find that old receipt. I still need to find; the 8 pin pcie from JMT. Reven654 said from JMT ... Ok but where at JMT their datasheets are even harder to make sense of as they have less graphics and are even more ambiguous. Plus it says minimum of 500 for order !? I need literally 30 so I need to order but 500 is a lot.

Regarding MDPC-X , do they literally design and distribute the paracord because I would like to make a lot of long cables of different varieties and I want to pay quality and the best rate. I see how things are getting resold and I am fine with it. But for those who have the time, perhaps we can just find out the real source. Because craft stores seems to sell it on par with yarn! If MDPC-X is the premium product because they make it then while I guess they own it !

I went for brass for higher conductivity; though should I have gone phos bronze for better temp tolerance ? Will I regret my decision ?

14 hours ago, unknownmiscreant said:

@Futiles Figured I'd do this here rather than DMs.

Basically go look at this page on the molex website. I can't remember the part numbers, and the order will be buried by now.

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/listview.jsp?query=&offset=0&filter=&fs=&npp=20&sType=a&autoNav=&path=+inmeta%3Apromotable%3Dyes+inmeta%3ACollectionName%3DImpulse+inmeta%3Aproductname%3DMini%252DFit%2520Jr%252E%26partialfields%3D(application%3APower*)&channel=products&key=power_connectors

Filter the results to black and the number of pins (circuits) you need. Choose one, and download the 3D model PDF files. Carefully check the housing to make sure it will be compatible with the receptacle on your PSU. (You will need to compare the square/angled edges on each pin.) After that, look on the product page of a housing for compatible pin part numbers. Go to the list, and choose 18/16AWG terminals (depending on what wire size you plan to use) and tin plated brass. I went for 2x100pcs strips, as that was cheapest for me.

Basically count 2x the number of pins on each cable you plan to make. Then add at least 30 as spares.

For the 6-pin SATA connectors, get PCIe ones, as they mate with both GPUs and the SATA connectors on the PSU. The normal ones only mate with the SATA connectors.

Molex do not make a PCIe compatible 8-pin connector. I just ended up stealing the 8-pin connectors off my stock cables. You could buy some Chinese knock off ones if you prefer.

Molex site does not list everything just be aware of that. It's better to use Mouser/DigiKey and search Mini Fit Jr. - wire housing - 4.2mm pitch.

For Sata/Molex you have to be careful, since EVGA and Conrsair have two completely different keys.

Ensource makes the best I've seen that comes very close to Molex. They sell two different versions.

Molex is suppose to be making PCiE connector in custom lot order for MDPC-X. Not sure when it will be ready.

6 hours ago, Futiles said:

Using your method I was able to find

469921810 / 039013085  for black x8 contact

and

469921010 for black x10 contact

and

469921810 for the black 18x contact.

but now how do I source the 8 pin PCIE 3rd party ?

Can I get a different color / quality ; because I want to make 27 of the PCIE,

You can order directly off of MDPC-X that carry everything except PCiE right now. There all molex branded. If you want to order from mouser the 46xxxx is slowly replacing 5557 series.

It's cheaper to just buy a reel for Mini Fit Jr terminals.

As for Color, Molex only sells Natural, Ivory and Black. If you want other colors I suggest dying them. Which is what I did to get deep black color.

7 hours ago, Futiles said:

I was able to order the pins but I am so confused why I can't find the needle in the haystack regarding the housing used anymore. I spent 6 hours looking through PDFs yesterday. I was hoping that someone was able to say conclusively the part numbers. Octopart or other can't be utilized to discover them. And although I appreciate your time and lengthy guide. The most conclusive and accurate for me and everyone in the future would be to include the 5 different parts and close the case once and for all.

I bought offical molex crimpers, 16 awg silver plated wire, stripping tools and the best pins I could find, all that's left is these housings and get a paracord sleeve. Though I honestly don't know if it worth paying for premium paracord or not.

It's just that I tend to be a moron and needed to make 2-3 purchases with things like this. And like I said I have to order to a US PO box to get it in the weeks instead of months. So can I buy you a beer to find your receipt? ;)

Paracord is dirt cheap at most stores. Even Amazon has 100ft+ for like 8 dollars. Just make sure you buy the right type. I would look into MDPC-X sleeving, Paracord is a PIA to sleeve.

If I can find it I'll post the link which I listed every single connector/part I used with my cables.

4 hours ago, Futiles said:

I appreciate all your hard work to find that old receipt. I still need to find; the 8 pin pcie from JMT. Reven654 said from JMT ... Ok but where at JMT their datasheets are even harder to make sense of as they have less graphics and are even more ambiguous. Plus it says minimum of 500 for order !? I need literally 30 so I need to order but 500 is a lot.

Regarding MDPC-X , do they literally design and distribute the paracord because I would like to make a lot of long cables of different varieties and I want to pay quality and the best rate. I see how things are getting resold and I am fine with it. But for those who have the time, perhaps we can just find out the real source. Because craft stores seems to sell it on par with yarn! If MDPC-X is the premium product because they make it then while I guess they own it !

MDPC-X doesn't make paracord only PET.

MDPC-X sleeving is all made in-house and shipped directly from them. I ordered a few times directly from them. I also use there Crimper.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

Can you offer any advice for cable diameter, vs. MDPC-X sleeving vs comb ...

on a side note .... I think that is going to be my sleeving choice but Im worried to make big purchases as I pick them up at a PO box over the boarder an hour away. It takes time and money so I have to get it right the first time and even get everything into as few shipments as possible. With that said I have bought molex premium crimpers 1000's of terminals and 440 ft 16awg silver plated teflon cable. So I want to maintain the highest conductivity and quality throughout. I am building very expensive cables for a very expensive once in a lifetime build. Its been 2 years in the making and I am about to finally finish the job. I just need this last details and I am finally done ! :)

21 minutes ago, Futiles said:

I went for brass for higher conductivity; though should I have gone phos bronze for better temp tolerance ? Will I regret my decision ?

Eh no idea. If your cables get that hot, the plastic will melt first and cause much greater issues. As for conductivity, buying better cable will make a bigger difference to the overall resistance. But if you want the best, go for the more expensive ones.

As for JMT, I have no clue. I reused the stock ones off my EVGA cables

As for MDPC-X, it is not actually paracord, it is PET sleeving. This makes it more slippery and shinier. It is made from thicker induvidual strands of material, this means the base cable colour shows through. By comparison, normal paracord is made of lots of thin nylon strands. It is more flat, less vibrant colours. The underlying cable colour is very well hidden.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

18 hours ago, Futiles said:

Can you offer any advice for cable diameter, vs. MDPC-X sleeving vs comb ...

on a side note .... I think that is going to be my sleeving choice but Im worried to make big purchases as I pick them up at a PO box over the boarder an hour away. It takes time and money so I have to get it right the first time and even get everything into as few shipments as possible. With that said I have bought molex premium crimpers 1000's of terminals and 440 ft 16awg silver plated teflon cable. So I want to maintain the highest conductivity and quality throughout. I am building very expensive cables for a very expensive once in a lifetime build. Its been 2 years in the making and I am about to finally finish the job. I just need this last details and I am finally done ! :)

It doesn't matter really for sleeving Since MDPC-X can expand up to 8mm wide. Molex Terminals can't accept anything over 3mm, I personally use 2.5mm wiring. For Cable Combs most of the standard ones accept between 3 to 4mm. Which will accept MDPC-X easily with 2.5mm wiring.

I have carbon Fiber Cable combs, Which are currently the highest grade of material you can buy for cable combs.

@Mnpctech lurks in the forums from time to time and can explain there combs.

Link: https://mnpctech.com/buy-stealth-cable-combs-for-pcs/carbon-fiber-cable-combs/

918ILpnl.jpg

singularity computers has started to make there own version of cable combs which looks very impressive.

Link: https://www.singularitycomputers.com/product-category/custom-wiring/sc-custom-cable/

Also if you want a sleeved PSU cable they also make them and test them too.

Link: https://www.singularitycomputers.com/shop/peripheral-cables/sc-ion-power-cable/

So if my molex ones that I bought like 1000's of that are gold platted will work with my wire with an OD of 1.9 or not. That only leaves 1.1 for the MDPC-X sleeve.... ?! or am I wrong...

What about colored molex connectors with pin receiving no ez-crimp >? Did you guys find that ?

On 5/18/2018 at 4:03 PM, Futiles said:

So if my molex ones that I bought like 1000's of that are gold platted will work with my wire with an OD of 1.9 or not. That only leaves 1.1 for the MDPC-X sleeve.... ?! or am I wrong...

Terminals support up to 3mm. Your not putting the sleeving inside the terminals it's goes over the terminal. Take a close look at the photo I posted.

Companies like Cablemod do climp there sleeving to the terminal and should not be copied. It creates a bad crimp to the wire. Secondly the sleeving can detach is your not careful. Not to mention the sleeving CableMod uses is paper thin(thinner then Paracord 95). Plus there process is done by machine, it's not something that can be done by hand since melting the sleeving creates a much stronger hold.

On 5/18/2018 at 11:25 PM, Futiles said:

What about colored molex connectors with pin receiving no ez-crimp >? Did you guys find that ?

Going to need to explain that a little bit better because I'm not following.

On 5/23/2018 at 12:11 PM, Revan654 said:

Terminals support up to 3mm. Your not putting the sleeving inside the terminals it's goes over the terminal. Take a close look at the photo I posted.

Companies like Cablemod do climp there sleeving to the terminal and should not be copied. It creates a bad crimp to the wire. Secondly the sleeving can detach is your not careful. Not to mention the sleeving CableMod uses is paper thin(thinner then Paracord 95). Plus there process is done by machine, it's not something that can be done by hand since melting the sleeving creates a much stronger hold.

Going to need to explain that a little bit better because I'm not following.

Is it actually a tighter hold when melted like that the cablemod method ?

and I colored meant sata molex connectors.

Thanks again

16 hours ago, Futiles said:

Is it actually a tighter hold when melted like that the cablemod method ?

and I colored meant sata molex connectors.

Thanks again

Yes, Melting process creates the best hold. You can pull all you want if done properly the sleeving is not coming out. I have a box full of Cablemod cables with sleeving that came out of the terminal.

----------

Terminals: https://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0675810011_CRIMP_TERMINALS.xml

^ These are the highest grade of gold you can get on a Sata terminal.

Connectors: https://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0675820000_CRIMP_HOUSINGS.xml

For Push Down Style: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/538-67926-0012

^ These are the ones I use and are highest grade.

End Caps: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/?qs=D%2by4jQJzx8Lk7varBV3GFQ%3d%3d

Pass Through Caps: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/?qs=D%2by4jQJzx8KQDikq%2bMbTlg%3d%3d

Tool (If you want it): https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/?qs=3OKVfsn1b5CX1XdFsIO98Q%3d%3d

dLqE1SQl.jpg

oflgAykl.jpg

rkDAvobl.jpg

--------

Just Incase you need to make any MATE-N-LOK aka "Molex" Cables. Molex does not make them anymore, You will have to buy them from TE.

Terminals (Gold Plated): https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/60619-5?qs=%2fha2pyFaduggvABNODO5aTm6xsobEJsQ5%2bS7dLW1alI%3d

Connector: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/1-480424-9?qs=%2fha2pyFadujpv4rcdzZDERRC46O2waGYh24f1MK8h60WwkxTT3%2bbuA%3d%3d

rjlRqROl.jpg

arnVrsnl.jpg

gKQ7HSkl.jpg

shzGkWXl.jpg

Top: TE

Bottom: JMT

On 8/21/2017 at 4:29 AM, unknownmiscreant said:

SNIP

Should be fine. I would look at SingularityComputers' videos on custom cables, they are really good. They use 16AWG on all cables but sata cables where they use 18AWG. 19AWG should be fine though. 

Watercooling Pro & Keyboard Enthusiast!

On 5/28/2018 at 2:01 PM, Tech22 said:

Should be fine. I would look at SingularityComputers' videos on custom cables, they are really good. They use 16AWG on all cables but sata cables where they use 18AWG. 19AWG should be fine though. 

They use the thinner 16 AWG. Which is around 2mm mark. They also can use 15 AWG from MDPC-X if you request it.

Only reason they use 18 AWG is JMT terminals can't properly crimp 16 AWG. The wings are to small to get around the wire(I've tried a few times, Only JMT short Sata works correctly). There are long wing versions which can be used on 16 AWG. JMT does make them not sure why Singularity Computers never added them to there store. I do believe Moddiy carries them.

Molex version even though suggested for 18 AWG will work on 16 AWG as long as you don't surpass the 2.6mm OD. The wing span are longer then JMT.

Pushdown style has no issue getting 16 AWG inside the teeth. I've even gotten 2.6mm OD wire inside molex Pushdown style.

rkDAvobl.jpg

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know what the in cable cap values are on EVGA T2 1600 stock cables are? Pretty please help me out :)