Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unknownmiscreant

Custom PSU cables

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Would I be able to get some second opinions about the colors of custom cables. I have attached a pic of my rig (all the lighting is synchronized RGB, specs in my signature) and a pic of what cable mod thinks my cables will look like. I am in no way attached to the designs of color ways. If anyone has any improvements or suggestions, please say so. Although I am limited as to what colors of paracord I can get. 

 

Cable mod don't ship to my country. The next easiest option would be to sleeve the default cables, but I would prefer to preserve the warranty of the PSU and since I have a large roll of 19AWG wire (link below) and the connectors I will need are dirt cheap, (I have already compiled and sourced the list). I plan to make the cables listed below, with examples shown in the picture:

 

1x 24pin ATX

1x 8Pin EPS

1x 4pin EPS

2x 8pin PCIe

1x 3 way sata

1x single way sata

1x dual molex

 

Will 19AWG wire be able to carry enough current for all the lines? Or will I need to purchase some 18/16AWG wire for the Motherboard, EPS and PCIe power? I have 8+4 pin EPS power and dual 8pin PCIe power. I assume 19AWG will be more than plenty for the SSDs, HDD, lighting and D5 pump.

 

http://nz.element14.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&langId=64&urlRequestType=Base&partNumber=2528082&storeId=10189

 

Thanks in advance

2017-08-21 20.16.21.jpg

stuff.jpg


Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

 

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

 

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it, the only concern is where would the sata power be seen? I like the white stripes on the 24 pin atx, but the sata power is a hit or miss kind of place to also have white. I think it could look nice, but I think it might be better to not draw attention to it and leave the middle wire black. 

Edited to actually answer your posts questions

Personally I refer to this chart. https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
On other posts is seems the heaviest wire used is 18 gauge, but they can use smaller, I would be comfortable with 19 gauge, if you really want to make sure you can look up your psu specs and double check no wire experiences that high of an amperage.

The source I linked has really conservative value for max power transmission amperage, almost a 50% value

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, unknownmiscreant said:

-SNIP-

19AWG would be a first I don't think I've seen that before, the standard does mention that it really should be 18AWG or larger 16AWG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Try Mod-One or singularity computers they make hand made PSU cables & ship world wide.

 

I personally would not use any wiring above 18awg(Unless the 19 AWG has increased.current/electricity properties which I doubt) I use 16AWG for everything on my PSU.

 

My default PSU cables which is EVGA, EPS, GPU & Main ATX are all 16 AWG. Only Molex & Sata are 18 AWG.

 

I would also contact @CableMod Support/sales to see if they can help get you the cables. They also lurk in the forums from time to time. Maybe they can help as well.


Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Would I be able to get some second opinions about the colors of custom cables. I have attached a pic of my rig (all the lighting is synchronized RGB, specs in my signature) and a pic of what cable mod thinks my cables will look like. I am in no way attached to the designs of color ways. If anyone has any improvements or suggestions, please say so. Although I am limited as to what colors of paracord I can get. 

 

Cable mod don't ship to my country. The next easiest option would be to sleeve the default cables, but I would prefer to preserve the warranty of the PSU and since I have a large roll of 19AWG wire (link below) and the connectors I will need are dirt cheap, (I have already compiled and sourced the list). I plan to make the cables listed below, with examples shown in the picture:

 

1x 24pin ATX

1x 8Pin EPS

1x 4pin EPS

2x 8pin PCIe

1x 3 way sata

1x single way sata

1x dual molex

 

Will 19AWG wire be able to carry enough current for all the lines? Or will I need to purchase some 18/16AWG wire for the Motherboard, EPS and PCIe power? I have 8+4 pin EPS power and dual 8pin PCIe power. I assume 19AWG will be more than plenty for the SSDs, HDD, lighting and D5 pump.

 

http://nz.element14.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&langId=64&urlRequestType=Base&partNumber=2528082&storeId=10189

 

Thanks in advance

2017-08-21 20.16.21.jpg

stuff.jpg

@unknownmiscreant did you look at our global store? We ship world-wide from our global store.

https://store.cablemod.com/

 

Also - have you taken a look at our ModMesh carbon? Looks like it would be a great fit for this rig and our ModMesh (nylon) is thicker then our ModFlex (paracord).

20170223_141757.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 hours ago, Shog said:

I like it, the only concern is where would the sata power be seen? I like the white stripes on the 24 pin atx, but the sata power is a hit or miss kind of place to also have white. I think it could look nice, but I think it might be better to not draw attention to it and leave the middle wire black. 

Only the PCIe and MB cables will be in plain sight. The EPS cables will be visible on close inspection, and the sata/molex will be hidden. You are right about the white strip. On reflection I don't like it much either. 

 

@Shog@W-L, @Revan654 

I totally get where you are coming from with cable ratings. Having done the math and having had a chance to think about it a bit more, I definitely think the 19AWG is too small for most of the lines.

Assuming that my CPU draws 200w over a single 8pin EPS cable (AI suite actually says 150w and its over a 8 pin and a 4 pin):

200/4 = 50w per cable.

50/12 = 4.16A per cable. (I=P/V) 

Assuming the GPU draws 215w (max listed on EVGA.com), all over the PCIe cables:

215/6 = 36w per cable

36/12 = 3A per cable. 

 

Those numbers are absolute worst case scenarios, and obviously the 19AWG is not suitable for handling the load. As it turns out I have some 18AWG cable (probably not enough) in my parts bin and can purchase 18 and 16AWG cable at relatively low cost. I'm thinking I might mix and match what wire I use for what purpose, to reduce cable volume:

Motherboard: 16AWG

EPS: 16AWG

PCIe: 16AWG

SSDs and 2.5" HDD: 19AWG (these should draw under 1A combined)

SP120 led hub and LED strips: 19AWG (its waaay thicker cable than the wire going to the hub or strips)

D5 pump: 16AWG (36w, 3A pump)

 

I have looked at the specs of the default wires on my PSU. The unsleeved parts of the EPS and PCIe cables are too short, so no useful text is visible, but the majority of the motherboard cable wires are 16AWG. The SATA and molex (somewhat strange naming, since all the connectors are actually made by molex) chains look to either be 16AWG. Although its quite thin cable, the total thickness of the 16AWG EVGA wires is around 0.2-0.3mm smaller than the 18AWG wire I have. Although this could just be the insulation. If anyone has actually measured the conductor diameter of the cables, that would be really helpful. Later tonight when I have some time, I will measure the resistance of the evga cables. (dw, I know multi meters aren't that accurate and plan to use the 4 wire kelvin method, theres a very good video on YT about it, but only LTT videos are allowed right?) Based off that result, I will aim to get cables that are the same resistance.

 

@CableMod Sorry about the shipping confusion, not quite sure where I was looking. I do like the carbon sleeving, thanks for reminding me about it. However ordering the entire set of cables would wind up costing me around $200 US. I'm currently looking at being able to obtain all of the parts for around a 1/4 of that price. Agreed I will have to assemble them, and that will take some time and equipment. However I have a decent amount of experience doing this sort of thing, and all the right equipment to make doing a project like this quite easy. The only cable that is looking slightly difficult is the motherboard, due to some duplicate pins, but I should be able to sort that out pretty easily.

 

Thanks everyone for all the help.


Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

 

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

 

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@CableMod I've done some more research, discovering that whilst I can make a full custom cable set for less, purchasing a 24pin and 2x 6+2pin PCIe cables in fixed length and full carbon looks to be around the same price as my initial plan of building a complete set of fully custom cables. The EPS cables are not visible to the casual observer and the current black is pretty unoffensive to those looking further, whilst the sata and molex cables are hidden completely. The overall aesthetic would wind up basically the same if not better as it means I get to use carbon in the most prominent locations, which as you pointed out goes very well with my rig.

 

My only question would be whether I can purchase some of the mod-mesh carbon sleeving separately to tidy up the cable mess currently visible in the bottom of my rig. I was considering the AIO sleeving, but that looks too wide and too short, making it poor value for my purposes.

 

Currently my best option is looking like ordering a custom length cable in carbon at max length allowed, and harvesting it for sleeving. What would you recommend? I want the most lineal meterage of sleeving for the least cost. Since its not going to get used, only harvested, I would be more than happy with a cable that has failed some form of quality control, as that seems like less of a waste. I am happy to pay for postage of such an item.

 

I know it seems a bit rude, but I would also like to clarify whether any of the issues highlighted in the thread below (or similar issues) are present with the EVGA cables? It seems those issues are specific to the corsair cables, but the EVGA supplies have their own nuances, such as duplicate GND, 3.3v and 5v pins on the 10pin and 18pin connectors on the PSU compared to the 24pin ATX connector. How do cable mod cables handle this? 

Thanks

 


Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

 

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

 

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@unknownmiscreant sorry but at this time we don't sell the sleeving individually. If you need some more in depth questions answered though, please email Support@CableMod.com and we can get you the full run down of answers you need.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@unknownmiscreant

Quote

I went to EVGA tech support, here is their response:


"Hello,
removing the caps could exacerbate instability if it was pre-existing however it would not effect the overall functionality of the unit. Please do take into consideration that removing the caps from the cables would void the cable warranty but not the power supply unit warranty."

 

Taken from the EVGA forum. Do email them to be sure, but that would mean you don't need to buy wires and stuff since it doesn't affect the unit.
 

 

Also this, the pinout.

https://forums.evga.com/Power-Supply-Cable-Pinouts-m2704636.aspx


MSI Z270 SLI PLUS - 7600k 5.1GHz - Corsair LPX 3000MHz - G1 Gaming GTX1060 - Arctic LiquidFreezer 240 - Crucial m.2 275GB - WD 1TB - EVGA B3 750W - Segotep Lux - LG 34UC79 Curved - Redragon Yama - Redragon Hydra - Gigabyte WIFI 

Sound is provided by a Pioneer Amp from the 70s - if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@Shog, @W-L, @Revan654

 

I got all the but the last 3-way sata chain finished today (see pic) I ended up changing the design of the 24pin slightly due to having difficulties finding all the paracord colors without getting nailed for shipping. (Paracord supply is quite limited in my country.) I think the final result looks pretty good if I do say so myself... Although I had a bit of a scary time when I first plugged the cables into my rig. Despite spending over 2 hours checking the cables in every conceivable way: I made sure the 24pin cable was exactly the same as the stock one and that the EPS and PCI-e cables outputted power the same as the specification and the stock cables. I also powered up my old core 2 duo OEM system to make sure nothing was amiss.

Despite all this, when I first turned on my rig it failed to POST with memory issues. I honestly thought I had killed it, as it still failed to POST with the stock cables. Although nothing smelled or looked fried. After spending the entire evening swapping GPUs and RAM out with my brothers rig, it turned out that the CPU, water block and back plate needed to be reseated.

 

i'm probably gonna spend tomorrow cable lacing, and getting everything put back into the case. I'll make sure to send a pic when its all done.

 

Thanks everyone for all the help and information.

Also, @lsstefan Did you manage to get all your cables sorted out? I'd quite like to see a pic of the final result.

 

Quick tip, the Molex Minifit-JR 8-pin connectors that claim to be PCI-e compatible are NOT compatible with 8-pin GPU PCIe connectors. I ended up swapping the dud connectors onto a couple of the stock EVGA cables to get compatible connectors. Maybe buying from a PC modding shop rather than mouser would have been a better idea.....

 

If anyone wants a parts list I am more than happy to provide one, as I have managed to find some quite good 16AWG cable that is quite stiff, and has fairly thin insulation, so doesn't add alot of bulk. I also have parts numbers for SATA, 4 and 8 pin EPS, 24 pin connectors and the 6,10 and 18 pin connectors found on my EVGA supply.

 

Come to think of it, does anyone have any bright ideas for the pile of paracord innards I now have? Seems a awful waste to just throw it away.

2017-09-02 23.49.56.jpg


Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

 

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

 

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Also, @lsstefan Did you manage to get all your cables sorted out? I'd quite like to see a pic of the final result.

 

 

 

Yeah I did, but I'm still waiting for the combs. I found a guy on ebay that sells some nice stuff and I messaged him about a custom comb and I forgot to check if he responded :D

I am at the moment designing a GPU stand so I can use a TT PCIe Riser, so I'm not in a hurry to make the case look good, since I will take it apart. I don't like how I put the LEDs also. I got 2 m of USB LEDs, but the case wall are smaller than 50 cm so it's kinda a hussle to work around the fans and stuff.

I got to paint the AIO radiator white also and a fan too, but I've been lazying around.

Here's what I got so far, with combs it will look better most likely.

And this is what I want to get custom from that guy. He already sells them, but for 3 mm, my cord has 4 mm. I could make it happen, but some cables are double so....

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Not expensive either - 2.5 pounds or 3.3 $

And probably gonna get the red combs to spice up the case, idk...

s-l1600.jpg

 

Yours look very good btw, hella sturdy. My next ones will be non white for sure, white gets dirty while doing it :(

21329547_1887074857975402_2090316595_o.jpg

21299022_1887072221308999_1780168005_o.jpg


MSI Z270 SLI PLUS - 7600k 5.1GHz - Corsair LPX 3000MHz - G1 Gaming GTX1060 - Arctic LiquidFreezer 240 - Crucial m.2 275GB - WD 1TB - EVGA B3 750W - Segotep Lux - LG 34UC79 Curved - Redragon Yama - Redragon Hydra - Gigabyte WIFI 

Sound is provided by a Pioneer Amp from the 70s - if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, unknownmiscreant said:

@Shog, @W-L, @Revan654

 

I got all the but the last 3-way sata chain finished today (see pic) I ended up changing the design of the 24pin slightly due to having difficulties finding all the paracord colors without getting nailed for shipping. (Paracord supply is quite limited in my country.) I think the final result looks pretty good if I do say so myself... Although I had a bit of a scary time when I first plugged the cables into my rig. Despite spending over 2 hours checking the cables in every conceivable way: I made sure the 24pin cable was exactly the same as the stock one and that the EPS and PCI-e cables outputted power the same as the specification and the stock cables. I also powered up my old core 2 duo OEM system to make sure nothing was amiss.

Despite all this, when I first turned on my rig it failed to POST with memory issues. I honestly thought I had killed it, as it still failed to POST with the stock cables. Although nothing smelled or looked fried. After spending the entire evening swapping GPUs and RAM out with my brothers rig, it turned out that the CPU, water block and back plate needed to be reseated.

 

i'm probably gonna spend tomorrow cable lacing, and getting everything put back into the case. I'll make sure to send a pic when its all done.

 

Thanks everyone for all the help and information.

Also, @lsstefan Did you manage to get all your cables sorted out? I'd quite like to see a pic of the final result.

 

Quick tip, the Molex Minifit-JR 8-pin connectors that claim to be PCI-e compatible are NOT compatible with 8-pin GPU PCIe connectors. I ended up swapping the dud connectors onto a couple of the stock EVGA cables to get compatible connectors. Maybe buying from a PC modding shop rather than mouser would have been a better idea.....

 

If anyone wants a parts list I am more than happy to provide one, as I have managed to find some quite good 16AWG cable that is quite stiff, and has fairly thin insulation, so doesn't add alot of bulk. I also have parts numbers for SATA, 4 and 8 pin EPS, 24 pin connectors and the 6,10 and 18 pin connectors found on my EVGA supply.

 

 

 

You do not want to plug the cables into the hardware until the cables are fully tested. I suggest getting a power supply tester & maybe a multimeter test as well.

 

8-Pin PCie is for other PSU, some PSU makers have a different style slots (EVGA & Corsair are different). There not for GPU, before buying any connectors I suggest looking at the 3D model in PDF or Cad(It will show you the ends for the connector). Molex nor any other companies like TE/AMP, harwin, etc.. make any connectors for GPU. The connectors only work for Sata ports, EPS, & ATX. I used JMT connectors for my GPU (There best quality when buying OEM connectors & Pins), there nearly the same quality as Molex. Thankfully not cheap like HWT or LHE. Which is what most sleeving shops use due to the fact there so cheap to buy is mass quantity. Don't get fooled by shops saying there Molex quality (Which they are not anywhere near that quality). The walls on HWT connectors will easily cave in specially with sleeved Sata terminals.

 

With that said if you want Black connector you need to buy 5557 series from Molex (Which Molex is currently phasing out). The 46992 will be the only series for Mini-Fir Jr. that will contain all the connectors up to 24 ATX. I did mange to get a hold of the phased out 5557 of the 24 ATX connector (Molex no longer makes these).

 

FyGxPV1l.jpg

Molex (46992) vs Molex (5557)

z1iKKorl.jpg

Molex (46992) vs Molex (5557)

 

Molex are also slowly introducing new Connectors as well. The new Mini-Fit Jr connectors are designed a bit different (Most will only notice the difference on the out side & how Molex now numbers each slot).

 

On side note, Molex Sata terminals do state they only supports 18 AWG. if you have the proper crimpers (CTX3) you can crimp 16 AWG (2.4 OD) using the middle slot to there terminals. I have the solid gold version Sata terminals. Not sure on the part number since they came directly from MDPC-X, MDPC-X (Other then there "Molex" connectors, since molex does not make "molex" connectors anymore. All there parts are Molex branded).


Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@lsstefan Those are looking real good. Definitely buy the combs at that price. You won't be able to make anything that looks remotely that good. The double cables are definitely a nuisance. Mine look petty ugly. The stiffness of my cables is primarily due to the cable I used.

 

@Revan654 The GPU cables on my PSU are the same as on my 1070. But I should've checked the 3D models more carefully, the PDF looked right, but I should've looked at the STEP file. I did manage to get the 5557 series in black. Mouser.com currently has a large stock. I can't bear fake knock-off stuff either.

 

I don't have a PSU tester, but I spent 2 hours with my multi meter (that I know makes accurate measurements and isn't faulty) doing continuity checks and comparing the voltages on the pins of my cables and the stock cables (with just the cables connected to the PSU. I only powered up PC hardware once I was fully satisfied they were the same, and I powered up the old core 2 duo system first just to be safe. Thats why I was so confused that my rig wouldn't POST. I knew the cables had exactly the same connections as the stock ones and outputted the right voltages on the right pins compared to the stock cables and online pinouts.

 

For all the trouble shooting I swapped back to stock cables, and it still failed, until I replaced the CPU in its socket.


Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

 

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

 

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, unknownmiscreant said:

@lsstefan Those are looking real good. Definitely buy the combs at that price. You won't be able to make anything that looks remotely that good. The double cables are definitely a nuisance. Mine look petty ugly. The stiffness of my cables is primarily due to the cable I used.

 

@Revan654 The GPU cables on my PSU are the same as on my 1070. But I should've checked the 3D models more carefully, the PDF looked right, but I should've looked at the STEP file. I did manage to get the 5557 series in black. Mouser.com currently has a large stock. I can't bear fake knock-off stuff either.

 

I don't have a PSU tester, but I spent 2 hours with my multi meter (that I know makes accurate measurements and isn't faulty) doing continuity checks and comparing the voltages on the pins of my cables and the stock cables (with just the cables connected to the PSU. I only powered up PC hardware once I was fully satisfied they were the same, and I powered up the old core 2 duo system first just to be safe. Thats why I was so confused that my rig wouldn't POST. I knew the cables had exactly the same connections as the stock ones and outputted the right voltages on the right pins compared to the stock cables and online pinouts.

 

For all the trouble shooting I swapped back to stock cables, and it still failed, until I replaced the CPU in its socket.

 

Mouser no longer sells the 5557 24 pin housing in black only the 46992(Unless your talking about the other pin version connectors). They haven't sold the 24pin version for awhile. They only carry Natural & white in 5557 series.


Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
32 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

 

Mouser no longer sells the 5557 24 pin housing in black only the 46992(Unless your talking about the other pin version connectors). They haven't sold the 24pin version for awhile. They only carry Natural & white in 5557 series.

Strange. The mouser page for that part number says its a 46992, but the connector that arrived is stamped with 5557. (see pic. Sorry its a bit hard to read and upside down.)

http://nz.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/46992-2410/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhjCiq%2fF7XfaFbI1U3nk6mNaQ9WKO8zRV1ez8fxOoucxg%3d%3d

 

2017-09-03 16.21.30.jpg


Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

 

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

 

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Strange. The mouser page for that part number says its a 46992, but the connector that arrived is stamped with 5557. (see pic. Sorry its a bit hard to read and upside down.)

http://nz.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/46992-2410/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhjCiq%2fF7XfaFbI1U3nk6mNaQ9WKO8zRV1ez8fxOoucxg%3d%3d

 

2017-09-03 16.21.30.jpg

 

That's 46992, The color is much lighter then Molex Black 5557 series. They never removed the 5557 numbering, plus it would be a bit hard to fit all those numbers in the limited space they have.

 

I have both versions, as you can see the color is different. It's a bit bright in my room right now, color may look a bit off in the photo.

 

lwrIAgil.jpg


Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

 

That's 46992, The color is much lighter then Molex Black 5557 series. They never removed the 5557 numbering, plus it would be a bit hard to fit all those numbers in the limited space they have.

 

I have both versions, as you can see the color is different. It's a bit bright in my room right now, color may look a bit off in the photo.

 

Okay, mine are definitely the lighter colour. Pity, I was somewhat hoping for darker ones, but they will be fine.

 

As a sidenote, I'm not entirely sure the EVGA cables use legit molex connectors. They seem to be from DST, but I may be wrong.


Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

 

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

 

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Finally got it all done... phew, only took me 3 days.

Here is a pic of what it all currently looks like:

 

2017-09-03 22.17.36.jpg


Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

 

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

 

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Okay, mine are definitely the lighter colour. Pity, I was somewhat hoping for darker ones, but they will be fine.

 

As a sidenote, I'm not entirely sure the EVGA cables use legit molex connectors. They seem to be from DST, but I may be wrong.

They don't use Molex, They use Chinese brand connectors, which are unwatermarked. They also use OEM terminals, which Moddiy also sells.

 

Link: https://www.moddiy.com/products/EVGA-SuperNOVA-1600-T2-Modular-Connector-(Full-Set-18pcs).html

 

Side note, Moddiy overcharges for most of there items it's why the price is so high. I can buy Molex a few times over before I even get close to price that Moddiy is asking for there connector set.


Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have

 

a evga 1600 T2

 

mini-fit jr. receptacle housings from mouser etc.

 

I have all everything else and I am having a really hard time getting the right part numbers. :)

 

Thanks :) either way

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Futiles said:

I also have

 

a evga 1600 T2

 

mini-fit jr. receptacle housings from mouser etc.

 

I have all everything else and I am having a really hard time getting the right part numbers. :)

 

Thanks :) either way

 

That's a bit vague, What exactly are you looking for?


Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for being vague. I am trying to mod my EVGA T2 1600. I want to get the parts from mouser or otherwise. I am finding the Mini-Fit Jr. receptical housing part numbers nearly impossible to source. If someone has completed this incredible task I would love to know the brief list of pn's for connection at the power supply. I am in Canada and often go to US to pick up my orders as it can take weeks to arrive here. I need to get it right the first time and it would seem as though someone else here has actually completed this feat.

 

 

That is the ;

  1. 8 pin vga pn :
  2. 8 pin eps pn:
  3. 6 pin sata pn:
  4. 18 pin ATX pn:
  5. 10 pin ATX pn:

                 

 

Thank you anyone that can help;

 

Also what crimping terminal pn for sata power connectors do people use. It seems better to crimp them directly to me 16awg silver wire. instead of inline connectors as i want the ultimate current capacity.

Inked220-T2-1600-X1_XL_5_LI.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@Futiles Figured I'd do this here rather than DMs.

 

Basically go look at this page on the molex website. I can't remember the part numbers, and the order will be buried by now.

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/listview.jsp?query=&offset=0&filter=&fs=&npp=20&sType=a&autoNav=&path=+inmeta%3Apromotable%3Dyes+inmeta%3ACollectionName%3DImpulse+inmeta%3Aproductname%3DMini%252DFit%2520Jr%252E%26partialfields%3D(application%3APower*)&channel=products&key=power_connectors

 

Filter the results to black and the number of pins (circuits) you need. Choose one, and download the 3D model PDF files. Carefully check the housing to make sure it will be compatible with the receptacle on your PSU. (You will need to compare the square/angled edges on each pin.) After that, look on the product page of a housing for compatible pin part numbers. Go to the list, and choose 18/16AWG terminals (depending on what wire size you plan to use) and tin plated brass. I went for 2x100pcs strips, as that was cheapest for me.

 

Basically count 2x the number of pins on each cable you plan to make. Then add at least 30 as spares.

For the 6-pin SATA connectors, get PCIe ones, as they mate with both GPUs and the SATA connectors on the PSU. The normal ones only mate with the SATA connectors.

 

Molex do not make a PCIe compatible 8-pin connector. I just ended up stealing the 8-pin connectors off my stock cables. You could buy some Chinese knock off ones if you prefer.


Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

 

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

 

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was able to order the pins but I am so confused why I can't find the needle in the haystack regarding the housing used anymore. I spent 6 hours looking through PDFs yesterday. I was hoping that someone was able to say conclusively the part numbers. Octopart or other can't be utilized to discover them. And although I appreciate your time and lengthy guide. The most conclusive and accurate for me and everyone in the future would be to include the 5 different parts and close the case once and for all.

 

I bought offical molex crimpers, 16 awg silver plated wire, stripping tools and the best pins I could find, all that's left is these housings and get a paracord sleeve. Though I honestly don't know if it worth paying for premium paracord or not.

 

It's just that I tend to be a moron and needed to make 2-3 purchases with things like this. And like I said I have to order to a US PO box to get it in the weeks instead of months. So can I buy you a beer to find your receipt? ;)

 

Using your method I was able to find

 

469921810 / 039013085  for black x8 contact

and

469921010 for black x10 contact

and

469921810 for the black 18x contact.

 

but now how do I source the 8 pin PCIE 3rd party ?

 

Can I get a different color / quality ; because I want to make 27 of the PCIE,

 

On 9/2/2017 at 1:00 PM, Revan654 said:

. I used JMT connectors for my GPU (There best quality when buying OEM connectors & Pins), there nearly the same quality as Molex.

Wow Reven654 can you get these in different colors; so I can sort them... I wont be picky though were can I buy this ? I want to get 50.

Where oh where are these precious connectors ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Select Product Detail
Customer Part No.
Order Qty.
Price 
(NZD)
Ext. 
(NZD)
  5 $1.53 $7.65
5 Shipped    
  30 $0.246 $7.38
30 Shipped    
  4 $1.19 $4.76
4 Shipped    
  1 $2.33 $2.33
1 Shipped    
  1 $1.73 $1.73
1 Shipped    
  1 $1.13 $1.13
1 Shipped    
  1 $0.566 $0.57
1 Shipped    
  4 $1.13 $4.52
4 Shipped    
  3 $0.689 $2.07
3 Shipped    
  1 $32.75 $32.75
1 Shipped    
  200 $0.067 $13.40
200 Shipped    
  120 $0.288 $34.56
120 Shipped    

@Futiles ^^ is everything I bought for my cable sleeving job. Bear in mind however it was for a EVGA 850 G2 supply, so I would still recommend checking the 3D PDF documents.

 

This part which is on the order above is not compatible with anything (the dreaded PCIe 8-pin) so DO NOT BUY IT.

https://nz.mouser.com/ProductDetail/538-45587-0002

 

As for sleeving, if you really want to go premium, get MDPC-X. Paracord is easier to work with as a beginner, but MDPC-X looks better and isn't substantially harder to work with.


Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

 

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

 

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×