Elon Musk leads 116 experts calling for outright ban of killer robots

Jaybelz

@Jaybelz The thread has been moved to General Discussion until the posting requirements have been met for the Tech News and Reviews Section. Once edited it may be re-evaluated. 

17 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

Arm them with nerf guns for our entertainment.

Have you seen a Nerf round fired at 400f/s (green gas)? It's inaccurate if anything, but it'll sting on the off-chance it hits. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Very complicated subject. 

On one hand, autonomous weapons would result in less soldiers dying. On the other hand, since the risks are lower it might increase the amount of wars.

But if just some countries agree to not develop it then some other countries will, which puts everyone who signed this at an incredible disadvantage. Imagine sending real US troops to fight North Korean robots. 

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

On one hand, autonomous weapons would result in less soldiers dying. On the other hand, since the risks are lower it might increase the amount of wars.

But if just some countries agree to not develop it then some other countries will, which puts everyone who signed this at an incredible disadvantage. Imagine sending real US troops to fight North Korean robots. 

Well, you could have robots that isnt autonomus.
Robots that is controlled by a person sitting in a room a safe place with his joysticks.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

The idea is no war AI, but proverbial Iron Man suits and $1m RC cars with AR15's strapped to them are fair game.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Ever since wars have become more distanced the full extent of them, and frequency has only picked up.

Whej you no longer have to look at the dude your punching in the face or stabbing in the gut, it's a lot easier to kill him without much of a thought, and the amount of wars in history only proves that. 

If autonomous war robots become a thing, that's gonna be one hell of a scary world. 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

At this point i'm not sure which is more dangerous , An intelligent AI with pure ground logical reasoning with no emotional stimuli or  a stupid human with a weapon with itchy mood swings.

Details separate people.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Geneva convention 2.0?

2 minutes ago, Anjelllo said:

Geneva convention 2.0?

The Geneva convention is still only signed by "civilized" countries

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

So no Tesla Bond car? RIP.

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

13 hours ago, Name Taken said:

Arm them with nerf guns for our entertainment.

(Sorry for double post)

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

1 hour ago, Ginger137 said:

Ever since wars have become more distanced the full extent of them, and frequency has only picked up.

Whej you no longer have to look at the dude your punching in the face or stabbing in the gut, it's a lot easier to kill him without much of a thought, and the amount of wars in history only proves that. 

If autonomous war robots become a thing, that's gonna be one hell of a scary world. 

I don't agree that history proves your point. It might hold true for 100 years or so, but if you start going back even further your argument quickly falls apart.

8 hours ago, Mihle said:

Robots that is controlled by a person sitting in a room a safe place with his joysticks.

Looking over the article, it seems they are using the word to refer to autonomous robots.

Still, the arms race is on.  No autonomous yet, but boy, I get to see a lot of remote drones and other devices in use.  Heck, I seen some systems that only thing a person does is tell the gun where to shoot (which can be consider auto in a sense).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Fewer soldiers will die, but more civilians will. Technology will progress, and unfortunately military entities around the world will jump on anything that will give them an advantage. No amount of petitions, protests, or international agreements will stop this. Just look at nuclear weapons.The Terminator, and a thousand other science fiction stories have predicted this. It's the future. Unless of course human beings suddenly wake up and become reasonable, and use their time and energy to solve the problems that lead to violent conflict. Sadly the latter is less likely to happen. :(

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."

2 minutes ago, MadModder said:

Fewer soldiers will die, but more civilians will. Technology will progress, and unfortunately military entities around the world will jump on anything that will give them an advantage. No amount of petitions, protests, or international agreements will stop this. Just look at nuclear weapons.The Terminator, and a thousand other science fiction stories have predicted this. It's the future. Unless of course human beings suddenly wake up and become reasonable, and use their time and energy to solve the problems that lead to violent conflict. Sadly the latter is less likely to happen. :(

Yah. It'll just make it easier to fight. Also, they don't seem to realize that basically anything hooked up to a network can be hacked, and you don't want that happening to an armed and dangerous robot. And terrorists have some pretty techie guys, I'm sure, so it's not a very good idea IMO. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

12 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Both things applied to military drones, which are already a thing. Or, as @Mihle put it,

10 hours ago, Mihle said:

which is basically a description of said drones. You don't need the AI part for that.

12 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Yes and no. I mean, the US and Russia have signed non-proliferation agreements about nuclear weapons, and that hasn't put them at a disadvantage. Of course, they first build huge nuclear arsenals, and then signed :P The two takeouts are that (1) there are no such thing as rules for war; time and time again whatever is possible is eventually carried out by one party or another. At the end of the day, every war confirms that it is better to win breaking these "rules" than it is to lose abiding them. And (2) the strongest nations can impose non-proliferation to others by being the strongest, what you cannot have is a "let's all be weak" agreement. Having said that, nuclear ICBM are way more determinant than any robot, so in this case you wouldn't need military robots to impose no-robots on others.

I think, in any case, that the main point behind these sort of statements is not the destructive power or the detachment from the consequences (those are already provided by other weapons), but the idea of removing all human responsibility by having decision-making machines.

• 4 weeks later...

maybe a good idea. Remember that scene in roll

Robocop (the original) where when demoing the giant robot thing it just shoots that person a ton?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

robot: Why are we programmed not to kill humans in any situations?

human: because we want to decide our own deaths even if robots would make the same choice we would but we want to pull the trigger ourselves.

robot: But that is illogical, even humans sometimes swerve and kill themselves instead of running over kids

robot: Im gonna crash, i cant evade the guy infront, since i cant kill humans im going to let the car run over the guy infront since the passengers of the car are considered human, the obstacle infront not so much. *car explodes instead since AI experiences logic overload*

robots actually do make less mistakes than humans in identifying targets, the reason the US still do things manually is to strike fear into others as well by making mistakes, people will think at anytime they could be shot by some deadly missiles for no apparent reason. Isnt this what north korea is also doing?

Autonomous killing machines have been used for quite a while just not in the complexity of flying drones with missiles. People have problem with blame too but im sure it'd be figured out and militaries will be back to using autonomous drones.

Aww man... Now what do I put on my christmas list?

Anyone who tells you that you can't do something is unimaginative and probably a coward.

I think this would lead to fewer prolonged conflicts overall. For example in Iraq instead of human soldiers trying to hunt down a insurgency you use mechs instead, this removes much of the benefits of insurgent warfare away from our enemies because we can produce more machines and the public will complain less about the death of a expensive mech vs a human soldier.

Eventually you reach a point where the enemy can no longer sustain the losses taken in combat along with the inevitable cuts in supplies as mech units patrol and search out any supply lines even if it means literally putting a mech on every city block.

Now where things actually start to get worry some is if two advanced nations get into combat instead that is where I think we need to put effort diplomatically to avoid an endless mechanized/cyberized war.

Otherwise if you want an end to insurgent combat the use of mechs in truly overwhelming numbers offers a solution that could actually stabilize places like Africa and the ME and allow a stable government to take root. But of course your results may vary.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

On 8/21/2017 at 3:13 PM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I think, in any case, that the main point behind these sort of statements is not the destructive power or the detachment from the consequences (those are already provided by other weapons), but the idea of removing all human responsibility by having decision-making machines.

Pretty much this.

Predator drones seem to have this reputation for being killer autonomous robots already. Except they're only autonomous by way of the autopilot. Someone still has to make the call on pulling the trigger and someone still has to pull the trigger. I think any sane military leader wouldn't want to go "your mission is to go here and kill the enemy" and leave it at that.

Unless you're talking about the fear of AI going "hey, this [actually innocent target] is the enemy, you should kill them" and military leaders going "yeah, we should"