USB KILLER ||| HTTP KILLER ||| Some other medium KILLER

l4t3nc1
Go to solution Solved by l4t3nc1,
42 minutes ago, mariushm said:

HTTP is a network protocol, one of many.

You use Ethernet cards to transfer the data packets from your computer to router and then to the internet.

Ethernet ports are less sensitive compared to USB because Ethernet was designed from the start to work with long cables (up to 105 meters), which could be pick up erroneous signals and electricity. Imagine network cable between two buildings and a lightning strike hits a few meters from the building - the cable could pick electricity like an antenna even though each wire of the 8 wires inside the cable is insulated

So because of this, the design require use of isolation transformers for each pair of wires - the card is never connected directly to the wires from the cable.

That's what that black rectangle on the card by the connector is, four tiny isolation transformers in a sealed box... the card below in picture has 4 such rectangles, one for each port :

33-114-140-01.jpg.3512e5d18f520c1b465e2435094c2f2c.jpg

On some motherboards, that rectangle is hidden inside the metal case that holds the connector on the back of the motherboard.

So if you try to "fry" the connector like you would with USB, in worst case scenario you'd only damage the transformer by melting the wire insulation inside or breaking the wire. The Ethernet chip and motherboard would be safe. Sure, network would stop working, but you could plug a new Ethernet card and disable old card, or just replace the transformer if you have soldering skills

USB can be damaged like that because such safety measures weren't thought of .. USB was meant to connect peripherals to PC at up to 3 meters or so, therefore in controlled environments (inside house etc)

I have a lot to learn. Thank you Marius! Thank you for taking the time to properly answer this topic/query.

Please note: I am not trying to blow things up around here or anywhere for that matter. This question/query relates to the technical side of being able to "fry" something using a port.

If I understand you correctly, then being able to run some kind of software on a network would in theory be able to fry all nic's/wireless on that network? If so, this seems like a huge security issue.

Thanks again for the details, it makes sense. :)

4 minutes ago, feasibl3 said:

http

What do you mean by http?

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

2 minutes ago, JaegerB said:

What do you mean by http?

USB uses a certain port to communicate to the pc/mac/;car/hairdryer... 

HTTP also uses a certain port to communicate to the "above" list, should someone be able to allow for the same result through the most congested protocol on the internet.

OR Am I toggling the switch here?

Just now, feasibl3 said:

HTTP also uses a certain port to communicate to the "above" list, should someone be able to allow for the same result through the most congested protocol on the internet.

If you're asking if a USB kill switch can kill websites or function through the internet, then no. It works by charging capacitors and then releasing that charge on to a system, frying it.

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

USB killer works by sending a very large pulse of power back into the USB port and into the motherboard's circuitry, killing it. A HTTP port is a thing which is like a gateway for packets of data for the internet. Long story short, you cannot send voltage and current through the internet (not directly). A HTTP port and a USB port are very different.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, JaegerB said:

If you're asking if a USB kill switch can kill websites or function through the internet, then no. It works by charging capacitors and then releasing that charge on to a system, frying it.

My thought's exactly, just throwing stones to see what sticks.

tx!

Just now, TheRandomness said:

-Also thread moved to Peripherals.

Nope, this supposed to guide us into a more protocol like discussion that like for ex http which uses 8080 for instance: Could then in theory do the same thing or something like upnp?

No device/peripherals specified.

Just now, feasibl3 said:

Nope, this supposed to guide us into a more protocol like discussion that like for ex http which uses 8080 for instance: Could then in theory do the same thing or something like upnp?

No device/peripherals specified.

Well you asked about a USB device initially, so I moved it to the subforum most appropriate for the initial question of can a USB close a HTTP port.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Well you asked about a USB device initially, so I moved it to the subforum most appropriate for the initial question of can a USB close a HTTP port.

No Worries, would you like me to change the heading?

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

No need to.

Can we move this thread to where I had it?

Just now, TheRandomness said:

You had it in forum features and suggestions. 

Noted. Tx!

http is a network protocol, one of many.

You use ethernet cards to transfer the data packets from your computer to router and then to the internet.

Ethernet ports are less sensitive compared to USB because ethernet was designed from the start to work with long cables (up to 105 meters), which could be pick up erroneous signals and electricity. Imagine network cable between two buildings and a lightning strike hits a few meters from the building - the cable could pick electricity like an antenna even though each wire of the 8 wires inside the cable is insulated

So because of this, the design require use of isolation transformers for each pair of wires - the card is never connected directly to the wires from the cable.

That's what that black rectangle on the card by the connector is, four tiny isolation transformers in a sealed box... the card below in picture has 4 such rectangles, one for each port :

On some motherboards, that rectangle is hidden inside the metal case that holds the connector on the back of the motherboard.

So if you try to "fry" the connector like you would with usb, in worst case scenario you'd only damage the transformer by melting the wire insulation inside or breaking the wire. The ethernet chip and motherboard would be safe. Sure, network would stop working, but you could plug a new ethernet card and disable old card, or just replace the transformer if you have soldering skills

USB can be damaged like that because such safety measures weren't thought of .. usb was meant to connect peripherals to pc at up to 3 meters or so, therefore in controlled environments (inside house etc)

42 minutes ago, mariushm said:

HTTP is a network protocol, one of many.

You use Ethernet cards to transfer the data packets from your computer to router and then to the internet.

Ethernet ports are less sensitive compared to USB because Ethernet was designed from the start to work with long cables (up to 105 meters), which could be pick up erroneous signals and electricity. Imagine network cable between two buildings and a lightning strike hits a few meters from the building - the cable could pick electricity like an antenna even though each wire of the 8 wires inside the cable is insulated

So if you try to "fry" the connector like you would with USB, in worst case scenario you'd only damage the transformer by melting the wire insulation inside or breaking the wire. The Ethernet chip and motherboard would be safe. Sure, network would stop working, but you could plug a new Ethernet card and disable old card, or just replace the transformer if you have soldering skills

USB can be damaged like that because such safety measures weren't thought of .. USB was meant to connect peripherals to PC at up to 3 meters or so, therefore in controlled environments (inside house etc)

I have a lot to learn. Thank you Marius! Thank you for taking the time to properly answer this topic/query.

Please note: I am not trying to blow things up around here or anywhere for that matter. This question/query relates to the technical side of being able to "fry" something using a port.

If I understand you correctly, then being able to run some kind of software on a network would in theory be able to fry all nic's/wireless on that network? If so, this seems like a huge security issue.

Thanks again for the details, it makes sense. :)

No, software can't fry anything (well except in some special cases, like uploading modified bioses or firmware in devices, but if software can do that, it's as bad as someone having physical access to the pc)

Wireless network cards don't use wires, just receive or transmit radio waves.. so in theory they're even safer than regular ethernet cards

You can damage lots of things by being evil, people just expect to have common sense.

It's super easy to damage things no need for usb killer,usb killer is just interesting because it makes it hard to determine the failure.

You could just as easily grab a power cable, cut the connector at the end to have exposed wires and then plug the cable in mains and hit connectors in the back with live mains voltage.

You'd achieve same result, but you'd also have sparks or smoke, visual clues.

Evil = Nonsense = 0

I am not trying or implying to get some evil going here, I have enough as it is. Evil leads to 0, I would like to be a 1.

I have written software, that in theory, as far as I know (haven't tested it yet), would be able to fry the CPU and everything connected to it (physically). If the payload is big enough. It can spin up threads in a whim to execute queries and generate reports, alerts of system stability checks etc. I think I have created a monster, not thinking about hardware, just to return results to clients asap.

I have an old Motherboard which I could possibly check, even throw away if fried. I want to do some research first.

Since creating the above piece of code, I am almost done with CEH. It scares me to think that I could've created something that could be used for evil.

I'll give it a go and keep you updated.

Thank you for the guidance delivered.