Upgrade eminent, long time coming

Greetings!

Found LinusTechTips via Youtube, I have to say the most hilarious and informative channel I've found; I was literally laughing out loud (yeah I know lol, but it's kinda lost its meaning).

Anyways:
I am years in need of an upgrade, as I'm currently running on a AMD Phenom II 955 (yeah, that old).  I'm not really asking for recommendations, as I've already made the purchase of a new chip, motherboard, and memory.  I'm keeping everything else (my graphics card--EVGA Geforce 780 Classified, hard drives, and case).

Yep, I'm going right to an i7 7700k, and since it's years from my previous chip, not to mention Intel, this required a new mb and therefore memory--a MSI Sli Plus and 16gb of Corsair Vengeance LPX respectively.  

Couple of notes:  

• I'm a gamer, but not 'hardcore' (partly because of my dated chip)--I don't do FPS's for example.
  • I'm not an overclocker; I realize that's the main point of the K chips and the Z270 chipset on the aforementioned motherboard, but frankly, I like options, and I loved the feature set and price point of the board, despite only having 1 graphics card, which kinda defeats the point of the name of the board...but as I said, I like having options.

The parts should be coming in tomorrow at which point (after I get home from work), I'll start the harrowing process of replacing the brain ...and nervous system of my pc.

And yes, I've put my selected parts (and my existing carryovers) in pricepicker and no incompatibilities found :)

--
-void Presence

trust your technolust

-trust your technolust

It's sad that you chose to go with a 7700K when the 8700K is right around the corner and has a 11% increase on single-core performance and a 51% increase on multi-core performance compared to the 7700K.

I'm sure I wouldn't be able to afford the new chip when it comes out, nor the (possible) new boards with the chipset required, in fact, I'm sure I could only afford the 7700k because the price had come down.

And besides, if I was always waiting 'for the next one', I'd be waiting forever, it's the nature of the industry.

-trust your technolust

51 minutes ago, void_presence said:

I'm sure I wouldn't be able to afford the new chip when it comes out, nor the (possible) new boards with the chipset required, in fact, I'm sure I could only afford the 7700k because the price had come down.

And besides, if I was always waiting 'for the next one', I'd be waiting forever, it's the nature of the industry.

If you paid ~$329 for a 7700k, the 8700k is gonna be ~$349 :/ Boards shouldn't be too much more, but maybe $20-40.

"I'm not really that old, I'm just 18 + shipping" -Unknown

Please tell me why you aren't on dark theme already.

Herro my dark theme brothers.

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro Mid-2012 Non-Retinai7-3720QM, 8GB DDR3L-1600, 250GB SSD, macOS 10.13

Phone: iPhone 7 Plus that is patiently waiting to be jailbroken.

i only payed $305 for the i7  :), and even at that, i'm now pretty much broke :)

The other aspect of this upgrade that I forgot to mention was that this was a 'need it now' issue, as my current mobo/chip is in it's death throes.

-trust your technolust