JayzTwoCents will no longer be accepting review samples from AMD, plans to buy his own units

Update: Jay made a video clarifying his concerns and what he is going to do going forward.

Reddit Discussion:

This reflects the very interesting discussion in the latest WAN show, but Jay didn't commit so strongly until this afternoon.

Here is a part of the WAN show where they (Linus, Luke, Dmitry, and Jay) discussed this:

Maybe the REA (review embargo alliance) will actually become a thing?

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

1 minute ago, Qub3d said:
 Dmitry not Demetry  

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

From what I am aware, AMD has released a statement concerning prices, but has not addressed the allegations made against them.

Radeon RX Vega 64 demand continues to exceed expectations. AMD is working closely with its partners to address this demand.  Our initial launch quantities included standalone Radeon RX Vega 64 at SEP of $499, Radeon RX Vega 64 Black Packs at SEP of $599, and Radeon RX Vega 64 Aqua Packs at SEP of $699. We are working with our partners to restock all SKUs of Radeon RX Vega 64 including the standalone cards and Gamer Packs over the next few weeks, and you should expect quantities of Vega to start arriving in the coming days.
Read more at https://hothardware.com/news/amd-responds-radeon-rx-vega-pricing-more-499-vega-64-available-soon#rSWBXq4X401fB9bP.99

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-responds-radeon-rx-vega-pricing-more-499-vega-64-available-soon

http://wccftech.com/amds-official-statement-rx-vega-pricing-issue-side-steps-around-problem/

WCCFTech also mentioned the statement. I agree, it is questionable, but there it is. Nothing is confirmed, beyond this statement, and that Jay had made his announcement on Twitter. Take it as you will, but be advised to take it with a grain of salt

I agree, that if they're raising the price of the base cards by $100 after their introduction that's a BS move. We'll see how it plays out, but that'd be the final nail in the coffin for AMD for me; I'd go Intel/Nvidia for sure on the new build.

18 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

From what I am aware, AMD has released a statement concerning prices, but has not addressed the allegations made against them.

http://wccftech.com/amds-official-statement-rx-vega-pricing-issue-side-steps-around-problem/

WCCFTech also mentioned the statement. I agree, it is questionable, but there it is. Nothing is confirmed, beyond this statement, and that Jay had made his announcement on Twitter. Take it as you will, but be advised to take it with a grain of salt

That doesn't really address what Jay was upset about...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I agree, that if they're raising the price of the base cards by $100 after their introduction that's a BS move. We'll see how it plays out, but that'd be the final nail in the coffin for AMD for me; I'd go Intel/Nvidia for sure on the new build.

It does and it doesn't. He is keeping with his integrity, and the integrity of his business. Getting caught up in this, provided it is true, AMD won't be the only ones getting hurt by this. Reviewers are already in a very tight position, and are at risk of having their credibility and names dragged threw the dirt.

I myself still plan do use Ryzen/Nvidia in my personal rig, but now the full AMD system I was doing for someone else using a R5 1600 is still going to have the same CPU.....I'm just not sure what graphics card I'm going to throw in it.... Especially with the plan being to fully custom water cool both systems.

While I support the principle of the gesture is barely anything more than that: It's been more than a couple hundred thousand subscribers since he shouldn't really accept samples from anyone anyway. He's never been known to make embargo dates anyway and even regular performance reviews he mostly tries something different than just numbers (Live review while gaming, put it on an interesting-on-its-own-build, etc).

Another fact: He makes it a point to talk about Radeon products. If it's the same company and he wasn't just pulling a bit of a stunt shouldn't he return his Threadripper samples and procure that USD $999 for his flagship rig on his own?

-------

Current Rig

-------

10 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

whats wrong with ryzen? just because Vega sucks that doesn't mean ryzen is a failure.  

Indeed: ties up with what I said above also.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

While I support the principle of the gesture is barely anything more than that: It's been more than a couple hundred thousand subscribers since he shouldn't really accept samples from anyone anyway. He's never been known to make embargo dates anyway and even regular performance reviews he mostly tries something different than just numbers (Live review while gaming, put it on an interesting-on-its-own-build, etc).

Another fact: He makes it a point to talk about Radeon prodcuts. If it's the same company and he wasn't just pulling a bit of a stunt shouldn't he return his Threadripper samples and procure that USD $999 for his flagship rig on his own?

If you did a bit of research, he did mention that he was questioning even using Threadripper because of this. TECHNICALLY they are the same company, just two separate divisions. However, they more or less act like two separate, though very closely nit, companies. He also did mention that one of his reservations about sticking with Threadripper is that Intel isn't much better.

ONE MORE THING: by "a couple hundred thousand subscribers" you mean almost 1.2 million subs, right? And with that same metric, should ANY reviewer accept samples from anyone? I am including LTT in that question as well.

21 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

whats wrong with ryzen? just because Vega sucks that doesn't mean ryzen is a failure.  

Aside from being owning the Radeon, thus being just as guilty, the ITX boards have been severely lacking and if Intel's next CPUs are on par with what AMD currently has I see no reason to give up features and board quality.

16 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

It does and it doesn't. He is keeping with his integrity, and the integrity of his business. Getting caught up in this, provided it is true, AMD won't be the only ones getting hurt by this. Reviewers are already in a very tight position, and are at risk of having their credibility and names dragged threw the dirt.

I myself still plan do use Ryzen/Nvidia in my personal rig, but now the full AMD system I was doing for someone else using a R5 1600 is still going to have the same CPU.....I'm just not sure what graphics card I'm going to throw in it.... Especially with the plan being to fully custom water cool both systems.

I meant that he was upset about the supposed price increase of the 56/64 series, not the availability issues. Was he not?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

If you did a bit of research, he did mention that he was questioning even using Threadripper because of this. TECHNICALLY they are the same company, just two separate divisions. However, they more or less act like two separate, though very closely nit, companies. He also did mention that one of his reservations about sticking with Threadripper is that Intel isn't much better.

ONE MORE THING: by "a couple hundred thousand subscribers" you mean almost 1.2 million subs, right? And with that same metric, should ANY reviewer accept samples from anyone? I am including LTT in that question as well.

1) I didn't do a bit of research so it's good to know that he at least can see this point as well. 

2) That was kind of my point: I have been extremely critical of Vega around this forums yet look at my rig: literally no better way to go at the time until Cannonlake and even then 6/6 locked should be slightly worst than 6/12 unlocked which is were prices will land for locked i5s vs Ryzen 5s

3) Yes I'd say that while revenue might vary a lot, anybody that's well over 500k subs shouldn't be sourcing prodcuts from companies anyway, it should be just a business expense. I'm ok with occasional giveaways and people really interested in 0 day reviews right on embargo day (This are things that Jay hasn't done for a while as I mentioned) but channels that very obviously get all their parts from companies directly and are quite massive and don't really need those parts are imo morally wrong to use that practice, yes this includes LTT sorry to say.

-------

Current Rig

-------

You know the idea of separating AMD from Radeon Graphics sounds as good as ever, damage control to the brand and all, AMD is doing so great on the CPU side against Intel but failing on the GPU side quite ugly to nVidia, would hate if this drags AMD CPU side any down in any way.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Well, time to place ATI in the long list of Canadian companies ruined by American acquisitions.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

i'm surprised there's very little discussion about this. Jay is essentially calling out AMD on their BS and asking why they can't answer that one simple question of "what's the actual pricing of Vega?". Reviewers were lied to, consumers were lied to, because AMD literally skewed the pricing to drive sales... especially RX Vega 56 because 64 wasn't looking great anyway.

AMD is no means alone when it comes to pulling shitty moves but at least companies like NVIDIA have the performance to back up their talk. RX Vega has failed on performance, price and power consumption in relation to the competition which is more than a year old.

It's a bait and switch tactic and that's just not acceptable at all.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Another fact: He makes it a point to talk about Radeon products. If it's the same company and he wasn't just pulling a bit of a stunt shouldn't he return his Threadripper samples and procure that USD $999 for his flagship rig on his own?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

The launch of Vega certainly is not going very well.

*sigh*

And just when I thought we finally got some decent competition to the Pascal cards (which isn’t much of an easy feat as the Pascal GPUs are quite beefy)

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

29 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

The tech industry in a nutshell:

Intel is full of scumbags

AMD is full of scumbags

Nvidia is full of scumbags

Apple is full of scumbags

Microsoft is full of scumbags

There is no escape.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

RTG and AMD are technically separate companies. Simple don't get an RTG GPU. I'll still get Ryzen.

34 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

RTG and AMD are technically different companies REEEEEEEEEEE

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

47 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

1) I didn't do a bit of research so it's good to know that he at least can see this point as well. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, wcreek said:

RTG and AMD are technically separate companies. Simple don't get an RTG GPU. I'll still get Ryzen.

RTG and AMD are technically different companies REEEEEEEEEEE

No, they're actually not. They're simply two separate divisions within the same company.

Ryzen was only a thought since it had high core count...but now that Intel is likely following suit, there's no reason to deal with an inferior motherboard.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

No, they're actually not. They're simply two separate divisions within the same company.

Ryzen was only a thought since it had high core count...but now that Intel is likely following suit, there's no reason to deal with an inferior motherboard.

Where are you getting "inferior" from? What motherboard doesn't live up to such a high standard?

They are and they aren't at the same time. They are two seperate companies owned under the same conglomerate known as AMD.

7 hours ago, BluJay614 said:

-snip-

I believe he mentioned mITX before. If you look, well... Pickings are pretty slim.

I don't personally understand why anyone cares about mITX, though. I mean, I do understand that it's just their preference, but I don't understand why it's their preference.

ATX boards are pretty nice.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

7 hours ago, BluJay614 said:

-snip-

Someone's feisty. Have you bothered to look at a lot of the ITX boards? The better boards (Gigabyte) have issues with their VRMs and cooling. You can't run an AIO, and you need a specific type of air cooler to get the best performance.

They definitely aren't. They're not companies, they're divisions.

UPDATE: We've been contacted by AMD and received the following statement: "Just to be clear, we are not splitting the company. This is an internal structural shift and doesn't change things like financial segment reporting. This move should not be interpreted as a step towards creating a separate company or preparing for any sort of split. Graphics IP remains critical across our full product portfolio."

http://news.softpedia.com/news/amd-splits-in-two-meet-rtg-or-radeon-technologies-group-491346.shtml

6 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

I believe he mentioned mITX before. If you look, well... Pickings are pretty slim.

I don't personally understand why anyone cares about mITX, though. I mean, I do understand that it's just their preference, but I don't understand why it's their preference.

ATX boards are pretty nice.

Haha, pretty basic. Size. Having a huge tower on the desk bothers me, and I don't have room for it on the floor.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

2 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

The tech industry in a nutshell:

Intel is full of scumbags

AMD is full of scumbags

Nvidia is full of scumbags

Apple is full of scumbags

Microsoft is full of scumbags

There is no escape.

When you can only choose between a douche and a turd sandwich....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL