Planning on buying a mechanical keyboard

supra107

Hi, I've been using membrane keyboards my whole life and I'm planning on upgrading to a mechanical keyboard. I was planning on getting the Corsair K70 LUX RGB with Cherry MX Brown switches, but I wanted to ask people that know more about mechanical keyboards, are there better, possibly cheaper options for me.

What I require from a mechanical keyboard is that:
1. It has genuine Cherry MX Brown switches (I've tried Razer Greens and MX Reds, and I prefer how the Razer Greens feel over the MX Reds, also I couldn't find any keyboards with genuine MX Blue/Brown switches on display, because I live in Poland and it's hard to find keyboards like that on display)
2. It has some kind of backlight (I would like customizable RGB, but I wouldn't mind single colored backlight)
3. It has N-key rollover (key locking is the biggest problem with membranes)

Having dedicated media controls and USB passtroughs would be nice too.

So let me know if the K70 LUX RGB would be a good choice or not, and if not, please recommend different models from different manufacturers. Thank you.

I have that exact keyboard, Corsair K70 LUX RGB with Brown switches.   I love everything about it, besides maybe the software(sometimes i have to unplug the keyboard and plug it back it for my pc to recognize it).   The media controls and volume wheel are the main reasons i went with this keyboard, looks great too imo.   The only other mechanical keyboards i used were cheap cherry knock offs so i cant really comment on other keyboards.

I received my K70 Lux RGB with brown switches last week.  It's my first mech keyboard and I love it, but ultimately it depends on what you're after.  I know a lot of keyboard aficionados can't stand it because of the non-standard bottom row (should you want to change key caps) and because it's put together by some Chinese 3rd party.  Personally neither of those things bother me; I love how it looks and it really feels like a quality product to me, and it has genuine Cherry MXs which is what I wanted.

But ultimately it's up to you what you look for.  I did look at the Masterkeys Pro L, but it just looked a bit too ordinary for me for the money you spend.  But that's my personal taste, and that kind of thing is completely subjective.  Some people love it precisely BECAUSE it looks standard, and because if I heard correctly it's actually made by the much-loved Filco.  Over here it's also quite a bit cheaper than a K70 (though still not cheap by any stretch).