Burning smell

MrMcMuffinJr

So my friend told me that when he boots pc he gets 2 beeps and a strange burning smell supposedly from PSU. any ideas? PC boots normally. I'm thinking that dust has gotten on the side of the CPU and is getting singed. Any ideas?

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

These beeps aren't random and usually tell you what the problem is. What motherboard is it?

Also, burning smell + PC components are not a good combo, so if it's really coming from the PSU, replace that thing ASAP.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

if it smells like something is burning the something is burning. 

I got my R9 380 to smell like that for about 3 seconds (bad memory OC) and then I literally pulled the plug and saved the card. Throw away the PSU. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

These beeps aren't random and usually tell you what the problem is. What motherboard is it?

Also, burning smell + PC components are not a good combo, so if it's really coming from the PSU, replace that thing ASAP.

ill ask him what it is. could it be a bad cap?

Edit: Ill ask what mobo it is

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

6 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

So my friend told me that when he boots pc he gets 2 beeps and a strange burning smell supposedly from PSU. any ideas? PC boots normally. I'm thinking that dust has gotten on the side of the CPU and is getting singed. Any ideas?

A burning smell from the PSU usually indicates that something is very wrong with the PSU. If he's running something like a Logisys, Apex or Diablotek, the burning smell is just a sign of normal operation.

Either way, the PSU should be removed immediately and a new one tested. A catastrophic PSU failure is just about the only single component problem that can take the entire PC out with it (aside from Molex-to-anything adapters catching fire).

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

A burning smell from the PSU usually indicates that something is very wrong with the PSU. If he's running something like a Logisys, Apex or Diablotek, the burning smell is just a sign of normal operation.

Either way, the PSU should be removed immediately and a new one tested. A catastrophic PSU failure is just about the only single component problem that can take the entire PC out with it.

I have a psu that goes in my other friends incompleted built. I could swap it

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

a bad power supply is literally the most dangerous thing in your computer.  It can catch on fire and burn your house down.  My old one caught on fire about a year ago, luckily while I was sitting there to kill the power.  get a new one if that is what it is. 

Just now, MrMcMuffinJr said:

I have a psu that goes in my other friends incompleted built. I could swap it

I'd suggest doing so, even just for testing while a new PSU is ordered. What type of PSU does he currently have?

Just now, aisle9 said:

I'd suggest doing so, even just for testing while a new PSU is ordered. What type of PSU does he currently have?

here is the whole build

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/MrMcMuffinJr/saved/#view=WBRdnQ

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

well, in the best case its dust, in the worst case the next time he boots the PSU will explode.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

Not a great PSU by any means, but for what he's got in there, it shouldn't be a "catch fire" tier unit.

I'd still test with a different PSU. If the burning smell is gone during the same sort of usage he was getting it from and the beeps stop, that's it.

It's the PSU thanks!

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

I've had burning smell from PSU. About 5mins before PSU died. Haven't bought Antec ever since.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I've had burning smell from PSU. About 5mins before PSU died. Haven't bought Antec ever since.

is EVGA warranty any good

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

1 minute ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

is EVGA warranty any good

I guess. Only ever had one EVGA product and its still working (2008-). Though we handle RMAs through retailers here.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv