New hard drives?

Gazeley

I'm in need of a new hard drive after filling up my 1 tb due to steam games, I started shopping around on Amazon and find the barracuda but it seems to receive some poor reviews. I have no knowledge on hard drives, I'm looking for a 3 tb drive for the sake of not having to buy another one and preferably not too expensive, at least for amazon prime.

Any tips or recommendations? 

I haven't had any issues with my 1Tb Barracuda so far, although I have heard WD is the brand to get hard drives from.

The reviews on this one don't seem bad: https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST3000DM008/dp/B01IEKG4NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U

If you're willing to spend a little extra money for a WD, there's this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013HNYV42/ref=twister_B01MU9EG5O?th=1

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Gazeley said:

@Crunchy Dragon What makes WD superior? I've personally never heard of them until today.

I'm sad to say I don't personally know, although I've heard they're more reliable. You could probably find out with a little googling though.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Gazeley said:

@Crunchy Dragon What makes WD superior? I've personally never heard of them until today.

WD has been around for a LONG time now, so it kind of surprises me that you have not heard of them. 

i don't know if WD is more reliable than other reputable brands - i bought a few WD drives over the years and they have not failed yet.

i have had a dead seagate or two though. 

but i guess depending on who you ask you will sure hear different stories as well based on that persons personal experience.

i'd say seagate and WD are about equaliy relieable

Western Digital and Seagate are the two best companies out there. They're the most well known, and I'm quite shocked that you didn't know about WD before now. I have a 3TB Seagate Barracuda that's been serving me well for the past while in my main server. I use it on a daily basis with no issues. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I've heard that Seagate's 3TB drives were not that reliable. 

Other than that you can choose whatever you want actually. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

You can't really shop on brand alone, you have to look at reviews of each unit. Each company sells entry level, mid, high end, Enterprise, etc etc, and buying a more expensive one will often give you a better, more reliable drive.

I'd aim for something Enterprise grade.

Keep in mind that if you buy the cheapest, they had to cut costs somewhere.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 hours ago, Gazeley said:

I'm in need of a new hard drive after filling up my 1 tb due to steam games, I started shopping around on Amazon and find the barracuda but it seems to receive some poor reviews. I have no knowledge on hard drives, I'm looking for a 3 tb drive for the sake of not having to buy another one and preferably not too expensive, at least for amazon prime.

Any tips or recommendations? 

Yes, buy 2 of whatever brand you go with, and always be sure your data is backed up on the second drive. All hard drives begin to fail from the day they're powered on because they're mechanical. If you follow the 3-2-1 backup method, your data should be relatively safe when it comes to drive failures or disaster recovery. Also, please note that RAID IS NOT A BACKUP, and hardware RAID sucks compared to software RAID. But RAID is another discussion for another day / topic.

Personally, I've had Seagate, Hitachi, WD, Toshiba, Samsung, Verbatim, Fujitsu, Samsung, and Maxtor drives fail on me in my 10+ years experience as a technician. Some failed due to end of life, others failed within 6 months of ownership, and a couple were DoA completely. Doesn't seem to matter the brand; they all have tight tolerances for failure so it's like playing the lottery. Also note that there are only 2 manufacturers of hard drives in the world - Seagate Technologies and HGST / WD. All other labelled drives are made by one of these 2 companies, even if they say Samsung Spinpoint or IBM Deskstar.

I currently run 2x Toshiba 3TB drives (DT01ACA300) in my system for general purpose game and media storage, configured as RAID1 for duplication of data / RAID1 for 2x read speeds, and they're OK. I choose them because they were the least expensive 3TB 3.5" drives at the time that weren't made by Seagate, and had fewer reports of problems than the 3TB WD Blues. Obviously things have changed / improved since then, so I'd definitely consult BackBlaze's blog and reviews on places like /r/DataHoarder or /r/HomeLab for information on the good drives when you go to buy.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)