Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
treeroy

Youtube video reduces monitor refresh rate

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am running into a strange issue with youtube videos.

 

I have three monitors, all different resolutions and sizes. My central monitor is 144 Hz. The left and right monitors are 60 Hz. I'm currently watching a youtube video in a second browser window, and when I play it on one of the 60 Hz monitors, it reduces the refresh rate of my main monitor to 60 Hz. 

 

So, if I am playing a game on central monitor at 144 fps, if I try to watch a youtube video in another monitor then the game will run at 60 fps. If I pause the video the monitor returns to 144 Hz.

 

This didn't used to happen but it was happening yesterday and today, and I've no idea what the solution is. Any ideas? I have tried googling but no results relevant.


HAF X | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | i5-4670K @ 4.0GHz | Gigabyte Z87X-D3H | Kingston HyperX Savage 1866MHz 32GB (8x4) | Asus MG287Q

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the monitor refresh rate is changing. It's the game frame rate simply being reduced. Monitor relevant system resources to see what you can find, particularly the CPU. 


"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I don't think the monitor refresh rate is changing. It's the game frame rate simply being reduced. Monitor relevant system resources to see what you can find, particularly the CPU. 

It happens when I am not playing a game, just dragging a window around I can very clearly see it has reduced to 60 Hz.

 

17 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

whats your CPU usage? 

30%


HAF X | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | i5-4670K @ 4.0GHz | Gigabyte Z87X-D3H | Kingston HyperX Savage 1866MHz 32GB (8x4) | Asus MG287Q

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, treeroy said:

I am running into a strange issue with youtube videos.

 

I have three monitors, all different resolutions and sizes. My central monitor is 144 Hz. The left and right monitors are 60 Hz. I'm currently watching a youtube video in a second browser window, and when I play it on one of the 60 Hz monitors, it reduces the refresh rate of my main monitor to 60 Hz. 

 

So, if I am playing a game on central monitor at 144 fps, if I try to watch a youtube video in another monitor then the game will run at 60 fps. If I pause the video the monitor returns to 144 Hz.

 

This didn't used to happen but it was happening yesterday and today, and I've no idea what the solution is. Any ideas? I have tried googling but no results relevant.

It's a well-known bug with NVIDIA drivers,as far as I know the only thing you can really do is wait for them to fix it.

 

EDIT: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4i4399/dual_monitor_144hz_60hz_framerate_lock_is_a_bug/

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 hours ago, Glenwing said:

It's a well-known bug with NVIDIA drivers,as far as I know the only thing you can really do is wait for them to fix it.

 

EDIT: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4i4399/dual_monitor_144hz_60hz_framerate_lock_is_a_bug/

Thanks for that. Weird that thread is over a year old so this has been going on for some time, but I swear this is a new issue for me, it never used to happen. I don't do it very often but when I've watched videos on one monitor and gamed on another it's never been a problem...


HAF X | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | i5-4670K @ 4.0GHz | Gigabyte Z87X-D3H | Kingston HyperX Savage 1866MHz 32GB (8x4) | Asus MG287Q

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Oh, duh. I swapped to a new graphics card a few weeks ago. Why can my old 780 Ti handle it fine, but my 1080 can't?!


HAF X | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | i5-4670K @ 4.0GHz | Gigabyte Z87X-D3H | Kingston HyperX Savage 1866MHz 32GB (8x4) | Asus MG287Q

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, treeroy said:

Oh, duh. I swapped to a new graphics card a few weeks ago. Why can my old 780 Ti handle it fine, but my 1080 can't?!

Were you running the latest drivers with the 780 Ti? The bug might be graphics card specific. 


"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Were you running the latest drivers with the 780 Ti? The bug might be graphics card specific. 

probably not, I rarely update the drivers for any of my hardware. I read on the thread linked above that it seems to only be an issue on 9xx and 10xx cards.


HAF X | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | i5-4670K @ 4.0GHz | Gigabyte Z87X-D3H | Kingston HyperX Savage 1866MHz 32GB (8x4) | Asus MG287Q

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, treeroy said:

probably not, I rarely update the drivers for any of my hardware. I read on the thread linked above that it seems to only be an issue on 9xx and 10xx cards.

It might be a good habit to keep your graphics drivers up-to-date as they can directly impact your video game performance, particularly in newer games.


"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×