RX480 suddenly crashing in games/

Zadatta

So recently my sapphire nitro+ oc started giving me black screens while gaming. Not the kind where you just get out but i had to restart my pc every time.

I've been messing around a bit and now i switched to the second bios (runs at 1266MHz instead of 1342MHz). The crashes have stopped but now i get frozen frames while gaming. The computer won't render the next frame unless i alt-tab back to the desktop. I've been monitoring the GPU while this happens and everything (usage and voltages) drops down to idle state levels and get back up as soon as I check what's happening.

I was hoping someone is familiar with a problem like this and knows a solution. If not i will RMA the GPU.

5 minutes ago, Zadatta said:

So recently my sapphire nitro+ oc started giving me black screens while gaming. Not the kind where you just get out but i had to restart my pc every time.

I've been messing around a bit and now i switched to the second bios (runs at 1266MHz instead of 1342MHz). The crashes have stopped but now i get frozen frames while gaming. The computer won't render the next frame unless i alt-tab back to the desktop. I've been monitoring the GPU while this happens and everything (usage and voltages) drops down to idle state levels and get back up as soon as I check what's happening.

I was hoping someone is familiar with a problem like this and knows a solution. If not i will RMA the GPU.

What psu do you have?   not sure if this is your problem but worth a look.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3188438/black-screen-amd-480.html

What PSU do you have?

Can you try reinstalling your graphics drivers?

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

the PSU is a CoolerMaster G550M

And i've been doing reinstals of the drivers a couple of times now to no avail.

The most irritating about this is that i've been using this GPU PSU combination for quite a while now and it only recently started having this problem.