Does this build need any improvement?

ErykYT3

Wait for Intel's 8 series processors releasing tomorrow.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

It depends on what you are planning to use this build for... might be worth waiting for Coffee Lake (or switching to Ryzen).

SSD could be better. I'd either get the Ultra II or the Samsung 850 EVO for a few bucks more. And I'd switch the cooler to either the beQuiet! PURE ROCK, CRYROIG M9i or CRYORIG H7.

PSU is slightly old, but I'm assuming you're carrying it over from an old build which is perfectly fine.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

U should only get a 120 gb ssd, and a evga psu would be much mor stable and reliable, plus I'd suggeste a better cooler, for example a noctua.

Thats good but I would wait for tomorrows line of cpus.

Its surprising how I have a 200 dollar PC and it plays games at ultra no AA at 720p or at 900p with older ones...

Just now, Semetg said:

U should only get a 120 gb ssd

why.Windows and it's directories takes more than 40gb and you probaly want to put some games on it too 

My life

If you intending to overclock I would invest in a better cooler... the 7700k can be pushed pretty far, but is a bit of a monster with heat when overclocked.  Something like a 240 or 280 AIO radiator could well get you to 5GHz or near to it anyway.

1 minute ago, Semetg said:

U should only get a 120 gb ssd, and a evga psu would be much mor stable and reliable, plus I'd suggeste a better cooler, for example a noctua.

There really isn't any reason why he should downgrade to 120GB. You can put more than just Windows on a SSD, y'know.

What is it with the idea of "EVGA PSUs" are always inherently better? Because that's not true at all.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

why.Windows and it's directories takes more than 40gb and you probaly want to put some games on it too 

Because he'll be fine if he puts windows and a few games in there, and with the money he saves he can get a better cooler

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I had no idea about Intel's new processors, is there any information about them yet and if so how much will they cost upon release?

1 minute ago, ErykYT3 said:

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I had no idea about Intel's new processors, is there any information about them yet and if so how much will they cost upon release?

There should be more information about them on the 21st. There hasn't been any review kits sent out so I'm assuming it's a good ol' paper launch.

Spoiler

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

There should be more information about them on the 21st. There hasn't been any review kits sent out so I'm assuming it's a good ol' paper launch.

Ok thanks.

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

There really isn't any reason why he should downgrade to 120GB. You can put more than just Windows on a SSD, y'know.

What is it with the idea of "EVGA PSUs" are always inherently better? Because that's not true at all.

The reason for a smaller ssd is saving money. I've seen countless people with corsair psu, and the problems range from outputting way less power than advertised, fans not working propperly and even catching fire.

Just now, Semetg said:

The reason for a smaller ssd is saving money. I've seen countless people with corsair psu, and the problems range from outputting way less power than advertised, fans not working propperly and even catching fire.

And I've seen the same thing happen with EVGA PSUs as well. Anecdotes aren't evidence. They have several mediocre units, including the W1, B1, BQ, BV and G1 series.

Spoiler

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

And I've seen the same thing happen with EVGA PSUs as well. Anecdotes aren't evidence. They have several mediocre units, including the W1, B1, BQ, BV and G1 series.

But EVGA is safer, if you would just search the internet for issues with corsair and evga, you'd see the difference. The difference in price isn't that big, and literally every component in the pc is connected to it, so you wanna make sure it works propperly.

Just now, Semetg said:

But EVGA is safer, if you would just search the internet for issues with corsair and evga, you'd see the difference. The difference in price isn't that big, and literally every component in the pc is connected to it, so you wanna make sure it works propperly.

"But EVGA is safer". No, it isn't. You look at each individual unit and make a decision from there. Both companies have good and bad units. Anecdotes aren't evidence.

I'm assuming OP is carrying this PSU over anyway. It's an old TX unit which has been discontinued since.

Spoiler

+1 on the better cooler, this chip does run a bit hot, the 212 might struggle to keep temps under control even stock, you'll definitely need something in case you're planning to overclock it.and why wouldn't you, it's "free" performance.

Space runs out very quickly with just how big modern games and 4k video files etc get, might want to look into a 2 or 3 TB option.

The processor itself is a gaming beast, boosts to 4.5 right out the box, you'll be good for a good long while with one of these but might want to wait for coffee lake if you want the 10% performance increase that Intel has been saying.

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

"But EVGA is safer". No, it isn't. You look at each individual unit and make a decision from there. Both companies have good and bad units. Anecdotes aren't evidence.

I'm assuming OP is carrying this PSU over anyway. It's an old TX unit which has been discontinued since.

Your choice, I personally prefer playing it safe. People say that evga is better for a reason, I mean, do you see anybody talking about evga mobos? Edit: no you don't, because they aren't. People say they're good and corsair are not so great for a reason.

4 minutes ago, Semetg said:

Your choice, I personally prefer playing it safe. People say that evga is better for a reason, I mean, do you see anybody talking about evga mobos?

Not really because nobody really buys them.

The only reason why people like EVGA so much is the customer service, which tends to be the defining factor when making a purchase. Quality-wise, I find EVGA to be rather average in relation to the competition (VRM cooling issues anybody?).

If you want to play it safe, you would buy by specific unit, not by company.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Not really.

The only reason why people like EVGA so much is the customer service, which tends to be the defining factor when making a purchase. Quality-wise, I find EVGA to be rather average in relation to the competition (VRM cooling issues anybody?).

If you want to play it safe, you would buy by specific unit, not by company.

I thought that too, and I had 2 corsair psus and my friend had one. They were 80+ gold, and all of them broke down. Indeed, my friend's did last a while, but mine broke preety fast. After my first corsair broke, I bought a second one, and that broke too, and they weren't the same model. I've been using an evga one for some time and it works flawlessly.

Just now, Semetg said:

I thought that too, and I had 2 corsair psus and my friend had one. They were 80+ gold, and all of them broke down. Indeed, my friend's did last a while, but mine broke preety fast. After my first corsair broke, I bought a second one, and that broke too, and they weren't the same model. I've been using an evga one for some time and it works flawlessly.

Hey, that's your experience. Who am I to tell you otherwise.

But that's also the same thing people with low-tier Raidmax units say to me... "it runs fine!", "it's safe", "it's a good unit" etc. Point being is that personal anecdotes don't really determine whether or not a unit is good or not.

Just because I've seen people had bad experiences with EVGA PSUs, doesn't mean that they're actually bad units.

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, Semetg said:

When AAA games take up 60GB each... It's not like OP cant spend more when he's already spending that much.

19 minutes ago, Semetg said:

Corsair, EVGA, Thermaltake, be Quiet are dont produce their own PSU, instead rebadge those from lesser known OEMs like AcBel or HEC. That's why some are good but some are shit. The only PSU brand with reputation so good I wouldnt care about the exact model is Seasonic. They havent screwed up yet

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Hey, that's your experience. Who am I to tell you otherwise.

But that's also the same thing people with low-tier Raidmax units say to me... "it runs fine!", "it's safe", "it's a good unit" etc. Point being is that personal anecdotes don't really determine whether or not a unit is good or not.

Just because I've seen people had bad experiences with EVGA PSUs, doesn't mean that they're actually bad units.

But if you think, each brand is known for certain components. Corsair is well knows for average psus, ram, coolers, asus for mobos and sometimes gpus, gigabyte for mobos, and each of these brands gainef their reputation for a reason.

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

When AAA games take up 60GB each... It's not like OP cant spend more when he's already spending that much.

Corsair, EVGA, Thermaltake, be Quiet are dont produce their own PSU, instead rebadge those from lesser known OEMs like AcBel or HEC. That's why some are good but some are shit. The only PSU brand with reputation so good I wouldnt care about the exact model is Seasonic. They havent screwed up yet

The ssd wasn't the main concern, but the cooler is the main problem of this build.